Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Thought after a long time lurking I'd create a bit of a thread of my plans

Brief background got my first Fiesta when I was 17 in 2009/2010 it was shared with my mum. It was a silver 1.25 style

In 2014 I convinced my mum that we should sell the 1.2 and get a better spec Fiesta with AC and nicer seats..... perhaps I forgot to mention the 2.0L engine. So I was the proud owner of a black Mk6 Fiesta ST

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

2015 came and I moved out and got a job far away. I gifted the car to my mum (who had helped with running costs so wasn't quite a gift)

In 2016 I decided that a used Mk7 ST3 again in black would be an ideal choice (and get me out of a company car) I fitted a mountune CAIS and found some M-Sport OZ wheels and tyres off a written off M-Sport Fiesta.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I enjoyed the Mk7 a lot but whenever I returned home I would always take the Mk6 out for a spin. Having the ability to jump in one after another really showed me what I liked in a car, fun, not fast. I always felt more in tune with the Mk6, you can steam into a lower in a low gear whack on some lock and get some nice lift off oversteer and control it, unlike other cars. The Mk7 was the same but I always thought visually from some angles made it looked too slabby.

My mum finally decided that she would like another car, I told her that I would buy it off her for the trade in value, and that's how the Mk6 ended up back with me ..... kinda, I gave the car to my partner who then has daily driven it since 2019. So I get to drive it plenty again.

Aware of my contract (can't use a car 7 years or older for business use) I had to move on the Mk7 in December 2020. I drove a Mk8 but it wasn't quite what I was looking for, so I jumped ship and bought the nearest thing to a Fiesta RS I could .... GR Yaris. I had contemplated a Focus RS in 2018/19 but wasn't in right position and I didn't want / need a car in the size class above.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Anyway the Mk6 is coming fully back into my possession as my partner is now getting a new car "Goods news everyone the Dacia Sandero" so I thought I may as well combine my love of track days and the Fiesta and start modifying

The modifications will be about improving the car and minimal/nothing visual

First up is some KW V1 Coilovers to replace the aged suspension
Secondly is the clubsport bar and net with false floor to replace the back seats
Thirdly will be Braid 15" wheels with custom ET, Im thinking about 45 to avoid bump steer/excessive scrub radius < any thoughts on ideal ET would be great as Braid wheels are custom made.

I like making mods that help when driving UK roads, Im not into lowered cars, but I am into low unsprung mass and big side walls haha

Lets see how far down the rabbit hole I end up going. Currently trying to resist chasing power

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also im huge data geek, so I record my fuel usage each time I fill up, without fail (I always brim the tank) This is real MPG taken from mileage and litres to fill

Here is my data for the Mk7, I have some for the Mk6 as well.

Its useful to see effects of wear, mods and health of the car

Product Rectangle Azure Slope Plot

Font Parallel Pattern Number Monochrome

·
&quot;Race Red Owner&quot;
6,662 Posts
Welcome and a good choice of cars there all in obligatory black I see!

Know what you mean about the Mk8, but how was/is the GR4?

Reference the fuel consumption over time/wear looks like the Mk 7 was running the same mpg at the end as at the start if you take traffic and season out the equation but traffic and/or driving significantly faster are skewing figures - Stats can be interpreted a thousand ways though to suit the presenter so although good they can be meaningless except as a representative figure like a dyno run bhp figures.

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,182 Posts
Nice one, good to see you've held on to the mk6 for all that time. They're difficult to part with, and newer cars can have a habit of feeling dull in comparison, especially if the mk6 is modded with cams, suspension etc, way more fun to throw around.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome and a good choice of cars there all in obligatory black I see!

Know what you mean about the Mk8, but how was/is the GR4?

Reference the fuel consumption over time/wear looks like the Mk 7 was running the same mpg at the end as at the start if you take traffic and season out the equation but traffic and/or driving significantly faster are skewing figures - Stats can be interpreted a thousand ways though to suit the presenter so although good they can be meaningless except as a representative figure like a dyno run bhp figures.
Haha yes now it’s become a staple, I like how black cars can go unnoticed but when clean they look good.

The GR4 is amazing I have the circuit pack. The ride comfort is the best I’ve had whilst still having chassis communication. Not like most hot hatches (infact this was my only gripe about the Mk7 at first)
I got the GR4 as I wanted a Fiesta RS, just turned out Toyota made it. I didn’t want any more power really as I don’t like driving cars where you are holding back, it’s all about corners for me. The GR just eats corners up. I had the dual LSD model.

Yer the MPG thing is something I do just becuase I find it interesting, biggest factor is how the car is driven. Helps me budget as well

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice one, good to see you've held on to the mk6 for all that time. They're difficult to part with, and newer cars can have a habit of feeling dull in comparison, especially if the mk6 is modded with cams, suspension etc, way more fun to throw around.
I like the fact it has no TC or SM I remember the rear dancing around and it feeling like you had time to correct , counter steer or add power. I think my build might avoid cams/intake manifold for now to aid that low end torque, but I’ll still be considering airbox and exhaust for a slight hit of power but mainly for the sound

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it’s been a while, lots of things going on. Finally insured the car again in my name and got it back from where it was stored. Not finished yet but here is how it looks tonight. Apologies for the poor quality, in the day tomorrow I’ll get some better ones. I’m happy with how it looks, I’ve retained the carpets under neath so hoping it won’t boom too much
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Tire

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Trunk Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Very similar set up to mine. I found that my fake floor knocked on the metal bench/fuel pump area... So I used garden chair cushions as padding haha

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very similar set up to mine. I found that my fake floor knocked on the metal bench/fuel pump area... So I used garden chair cushions as padding haha
I was thinking / hoping it wouldn’t be too noisy, I didn’t notice this but I kept the boot carpet and spread some carpet around other areas. Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it a proper listen tomorrow

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car desperately needs a clean but here are some better pics. Need to clean the area around where seat belt has been and fit a grommet to cover the hole, but happy with how it looks so far.

Obviously the net is purely visual / light loading as the bar uses the parcel shelf location
Vehicle White Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior Vehicle door Automotive design

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I’ve also settled on a full Blistein B12 kit as the next step, was thinking KW but cost and ride harshness put me off.

Wheels are either Speedline Turini 16” , Braid 16” Full Race A or if I can get them in a sensible ET Japan Racing JR11. Any advice would be welcome.

Pics below, I think you can guess the style of wheels I like (one of the best Fiesta’s I’ve seen below on the speedlines)
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Alloy wheel Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,182 Posts
I've got some good condition 16" Turinis that I've not used for about 5 years if you fancy taking them off my hands. Got some Federal 595 track tyres on them hardly used. Beautiful wheel

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got some good condition 16" Turinis that I've not used for about 5 years if you fancy taking them off my hands. Got some Federal 595 track tyres on them hardly used. Beautiful wheel
Yes I’m interested, could you PM me? Sorry I’ve not actually PM’d anyone on this site 😅😂

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
I think I’ve also settled on a full Blistein B12 kit as the next step, was thinking KW but cost and ride harshness put me off.
The KW ST XTA kit is a KW V2 kit with slightly cheaper construction and thus lower pricing. They're made in the KW factory.

Worth a look if you like what KW offers, but prefer something a bit more Street/track day cost wise.

I've run them for some years now and they're great.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I really rated the b12 kit as a fit and forget kit, but have found the ride on my BC BR coilovers no harder than the b12, if anything on the softest setting theyre actually softer than the b12 I had.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all for the advice I will take a look.

Now the car is insured for business use I got to refamiliarise myself with the car, had a good trip to Herefordshire/South Shropshire/Wales. Car was a joy, I like that it’s narrow and plenty powerful enough for overtakes, though I do feel slightly less confident overtaking. If anyone is ever in Shropshire try the B4364 from Bridgnorth to Ludlow, Ludlow to Wigmore and my favourite B4368/78 from Craven Arms to Much Wenlock. In fact most roads from Much Wenlock / Bridgnorth are good

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Your pretty much heading towards my set up, great wheels look better in anthracite (look even better when paired with the fastest colour)
Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Alloy wheel Locking hubs

1 - 20 of 36 Posts