Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time since I was last on here and many cars have passed but this one is special to me.....

So after selling my last ST (The red one) I've been round the houses with cars and ended up buying a fairly standard (exhaust only) to use as a daily I could track after moving back to Scotland.
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

So the usual mods were applied.

• Ramair induction kit
  • Milltek Downpipe
  • AVO Coilovers fully adjustable
  • Pair of Motamec buckets (OMP bases)
-15's then picked up a set of OZ's
  • Sabelt 6 point harnesses
  • OMP deep dish steering wheel
  • Preface headlights with black inserts
  • JPCages 4 point bolt in cage
  • Braided Lines

Wheel Car Tire Window Vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Tire Sky
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Sky Cloud Automotive side-view mirror Tire Vehicle

With a baby now it was decided that I needed a daily with more than 2 seats so picked up an Fiesta ST180.

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

Anyway on to the first track day (it only took me 2 years :rolleyes:) 2 hours into the session and a big shudder and power loss sounds like the big ends are away.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

So the decision was made I'm going to fit an ecoboost and take it back to the forums and document as much as possible as there seems to be so little info out there.

There seems to be 2 routes you can go with this both have advantages and disadvantages.

1st. Unlocked ECU or Stand alone ECU

Pro's
  • Retain standard dashboard and interior loom and column
  • little wiring needed
Con's
  • Loss of ABS system
  • Stand alone dash/clocks required
  • no Speedo
  • PAS pump needed to fit to the 1.6 ecoboost
2nd. Full ST180 dropped into a ST150

Pro's
  • Use of most of the ST180 functionality
  • ABS retained
  • Wiring is lift and lay
  • Use of EPAS
Con's
  • Full looms required
  • Full module set needed
  • ST180 dash needed and modified
I decided to go the second way. I've started to the work it will be slow progress I'm buying parts bit at a time where people tend to have a donor doing it this way. I'll update this as I go with my findings and give as much detail as possible.

Attachments

·
Previously philgST
Fiesta ST150 170bhp
564 Posts
Sounds like this is gonna be a cool build.

Appreciate your "taking it back to the forums" mentality. Car forums are dying nowadays

How are the avo coilovers on the road?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are actually not too bad on the road I ran it as my daily for almost 2 years although not many miles done. On the track I was really surprised at how good they were.

A couple of things though. When I had to go back and forward between myself and AVO when they first went on because the springs were compressing completely on the 3rd set of springs and I can still get a bang now and then but it's only when the fronts are compressed simultaneously. The other thing is that within the first year they went in for a service because the rears weren't feeling right and rebuilt but no issues since and they seem to have rusted badly.

I can't fault AVO though was in direct contact with their engineer and all of the work was carried out under warranty and quickly.

I'll get a post up tomorrow with what's been done to the car so far I started a Facebook group for anyone that has converted or looking too, to share info but I feel the form is the right place to document it. Did the same thing with a VX220 I supercharged

·
Super Moderator
30,619 Posts
If you haven't already read it have a look at this thread 'Jase's Mk6 Fiesta track project.'
🫡

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been over it many times he has went a mix of both but running the 180 loom with a 150 column and PAS pump fitted to the 1.6, I'm sure this doesn't let you run the ABS. It was a good starting place and guided me on the majority of but there is little other info on the conversion than the way he has went so I've now decided my route and no turning back as I've chopped looms up and scrapped some of the parts :LOL:. I'll get a post up with what I've done so far soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Parts List.
  • Interior Loom - including roof loom (key sensor in 180 headliner next to light)
  • Dash Loom
  • Steering Column - if using epas from 180 module needs to match or coded to Modules - column bottom slide needs pin removed to let the bottom out more to meet the rack.
  • Clocks
  • Modules - all need to be from same car so coded together and to ecu + key
  • Stalks - fit 180 epas column
  • Fuel Pump - larger hole cut in floor to drop in. Original is 2 outlets ST180 is 1
  • Fuel line - 180 line has sensor and Ford fitting to HPFP
  • Gear cables - needed for 6 speed + lift reverse
  • Gear selector - Needs holes drilled on body for front mounting points of 180 selector
  • ABS pump - 180 pump to run ABS module will need coded if not from same car
  • Throttle pedal - mounted at a different angle and needs mount or bracket.
  • Dash switches (start, esc, lights)
  • Engine bay Loom - spliced for lights
  • Engine
  • Box
  • Downpipe
  • Drive shafts - 180s fit
  • St150 vibratechnics drivers side lower with standard 180 top with mods to let engine go to pass side.
  • Pass side mount needs metal plate on chassis leg
  • Batt relocation - Not required but nice to have
  • Dashboard - fits the dash bar = needs trimmed in an arc because its longer than an st150.
  • Dash Bar - this is needed to fit epas column = remove mount that goes to firewall, ends need trimmed in a V all the way back to the main dash bar to go round the 150 body.
  • Intercooler
  • Intake silicone
  • Intake crossover
I have the majority of this list apart from the engine and box I'll update this as I go. I made this up on my phone with some notes as I seem to get a few people asking what's involved

Interior loom

I've started with the interior and looms as the weather is not the best to get out and pull the engine and box so the original dash was stripped out and the ST150 Looms removed. I cut the 150 loom to leave tails hanging to splice the 180 into rear lights and connection to doors at the inside of the A pillar. The original plan was to use the 150 dash and 180 column but there was a huge amount of work making brackets to mount the 180 column this also meant cutting the 150 dash and support leg that goes up to the dash bar. I really wanted to have the EPAS along with ABS so opted to change it out for the 180 dash.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

180 loom laid in. Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of it mounted but the red line shows the routing using tie wrap mounts along the firewall and the original fusebox mount modified to accept the 180 fusebox.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design Electrical wiring

Dash and Bar

With the new dash the heater matrix will not work and as the car is only a weekend/track car it was binned. If it gets too cold I'll fit a rally car one. One thing most people don't know is that a mk7.5 dash can come out in one piece with the bar. So if you are using a donor this would be the way I would go it means you don't need to redress the dash with the dash loom it all comes out as one. It's 2x bolts each side,1 bolt through the firewall on the drivers side,1 bolt through from the A pillar behind the front of the drivers door the brackets to the floor and the column to rack bolt along with them, screws behind the centre of the dash then the loom plugs at each side along with BCM plugs. This will lift the lot out including the column. The side mount holes line up perfectly 180 to 150.

The modifications that need done are.
  • Top of the dash needs cut back as its longer than the 150. I also cut some of the old air tubes to get a better fit.
  • Top sides need a slight trim (I did a little at a time till I was happy lifting the dash out and in to test)
  • Remove the mount that goes to the firewall
  • Cut the sides back to fit round the 150 body as the 180 bar sides protrude forward. (drivers side you will need to relocate 2 earths)
  • I'll be getting new centre support legs fabricated (seen a few without them but I would rather have the support)
I know it looks rough but these were all tidied as this was during trial fits

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font

I then fitted the column and lifted in in one piece with the dash loom in place.
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Next steps will be attach the bottom of the column to the rack and mount the airbag module and shifter base.

·
Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
694 Posts
With a decent stadalone you can run abs, ecu controlled epas... anything... including the oem mk6 clocks. I use the emu black and can use any set of clocks as long as I tell it what info is going where. I can even unplug the oem clocks and run the car with nothing! You're limited to your imagination only.

I also still have the oem abs system.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get that it's not my imagination it's my bank account 😅. To be honest I thought only a SCS Delta could run CAN BUS control and for the price of one of them is just about 2/3 of the estimated cost of the full conversion.

How much is the cost of an EMU black? And can it run direct injection?

·
Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
694 Posts
I get that it's not my imagination it's my bank account 😅. To be honest I thought only a SCS Delta could run CAN BUS control and for the price of one of them is just about 2/3 of the estimated cost of the full conversion.

How much is the cost of an EMU black? And can it run direct injection?
Ah yeah it's direct injection. No the emu black doesn't support DI, you can run staged injectors with nos and meth fuelled by pure ethanol but no DI haha. the new pro model may though.
If not syvecs or SCS are the big names that support it. SCS are big money for old tech if I'm honest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts