• kitchen roll
• Clean 1 litre bottle
• Drill
• cable ties
• Power steering relation / cooling set
• 1 litre power steering fluid

How to:

1) Begin by checking you have all the parts to hand shown below from the kit:

2) Next you need to drain off the power steering fluid, grab the clean 1 litre bottle and remove the top hose from the standard power steering bottle (have your rag ready) and pop the tube into the bottle. If you can get mate to hold the bottle in place and jump into your car, start the engine and turn the wheel to the left and right twice, the fluid will drain into the bottle. Do not leave the engine running for more than 1 minute as its not good for the pump. All the old black fluid will now be in the bottle.

3) Now you need to remove the old power steering bottle, there are three bolts securing this, the two on the bottom are difficult to reach but you can get to them with a small ratchet and 8mm socket.

Once all of the bolts have been removed you need to pull the bottle forward and it will come free, get a bit of kitchen paper ready to plug the hole

4) Now you are ready to start mounting your new system bottle and installing the new kit.
Firstly you need to mount the power steering bottle from the new kit, do this by removing the battery and lifting out the tray, one bolt is sufficient to hold the bottle in place and this can be done by drilling through far edge of the battery box about 1/4 of the way down from the top and using a small nut and bolt to hold it in place.

5) Once mounted, I suggest you connect both pipes to the bottle and leave it loose at the moment. Next is the location of the pipe work from the bottle to the cooler and the power steering pump. The thick pipe is the feed to the pump, my kit had the u-bend connector cut in two but yours may not.

Firstly offer up the metal connection to the power steering pump inlet (it will only fit one way round), tighten it up without fitting the pipe just yet. Once fitted and tightened then connect the large pipe from the new power steering bottle making sure everything is tight.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
6) Next you need to fit the cooler. Carefully unclip the lower grill away from the car, its OK if you take your time and work out where the clips are. Once free you will see a nice location for mounting the cooler. It helps if you connect the one pipe to the lower pipe to the cooler first. Grab the brackets from your kit and fit the one nearest the passenger side to the cooler and car. This should simply bolt into the existing holes. The other side is slightly more tricky and I found it easier to drill a hole (be very careful the radiator is close) and use a self tapper. Once secure it should look like this:

7) Now you need to connect the smaller feed pipe from the bottle to the cooler (leave the lower pipe from the cooler dangling at the moment) Feed the pipe from the bottle down the front of the bumper lip then straight down to the cooler and connect it up.

Once connected grab the lower pipe and feed it from under the car up the side of radiator and over where the old bottle used to be,

Feed it through the engine hoist hook and the take the pipe that you did have in the bottle (the top feed pipe you removed from the old bottle) and use the inline connector to connect the two together.

Tighten up all the Jubliee clips and re secure the battery box, and re-fit the lower grill once your happy everything is nice and tight. Basically put your ST back together.
Now you are ready to fill the system top up the new bottle with fluid until it remains in the bottle to the max mark. Start the engine, after 5 seconds stop the engine, refill to the max mark, repeat this process until the fluid does not go below max when the engine is started.

Once this happens start the car and turn the wheel left, then right repeat this three times and check the level. If its dropped top it up to max and repeat again until it remains at max.
Should take around 750ml of fluid (3/4 of a litre)

Check all the hoses and connections for leaks and if your happy cable tie all the pipes out the way and tidy up the install.

You have now completed the install of the power steering cooler and relocation kit. Hope this was helpful!

Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
You can just fit the relocation kit, but it won't prevent the PAS fluid from boiling over, it is only really useful when you have the cosworth inlet and then it has to be moved.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yeah that's what I thought but for safety and peace of mind I guess the cooler is a must especially when driven hard!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I have bought a kit to fit sometime this weekend, but I was told that if I were to fit an inlet, I won't be able to run the pipes across the cossie inlet. Peter mentioned that I could run the smaller pipe under the header tank and around the bumper. Is this how others have theirs fitted when they have an inlet? Or should I just fit it across the strut brace? Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts