Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Is anyone flat shifting? I know most of the reviews stated that you could flat shift, but nothing in the manual.

Im guessing itll only be any good when using launch control as a lot of Mk3 RS owners seem to use this when using LC.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Guys,

Is anyone flat shifting? I know most of the reviews stated that you could flat shift, but nothing in the manual.

Im guessing itll only be any good when using launch control as a lot of Mk3 RS owners seem to use this when using LC.
I have to admit I am confused by the flat shifting 'feature' as Top Gear even said in their review that you can flat shift but surely it would wear the clutch excessively? It's confusing cause if it wears down the clutch, why have they mentioned flat shifting? Whereas many other cars, it says flat shifting is not recommended. I don't understand how Top Gear and other companies can promote flat shifting if it would wear down the clutch component. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,111 Posts
I don't really see how it's even a feature, you could theoretically do it in any manual car.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I don't really see how it's even a feature, you could theoretically do it in any manual car.
Yup, and I did it for decades... in work vehicles, not my own, because it ain't good for them.

As stated, it's a gimmick, a headline, a sales pitch that should fool no-one with half an iota of common sense.

It's just like how they big up the Sync 3 system whilst neglecting to mention the problems you'll have down the line trying to update it... they big up flatshifting whilst neglecting to mention the problems you'll have down the line with your clutch.

Launch control too is another unnecessary headline feature in the same vein. A gimmick designed to sound cool but perform no better than a competent driver could achieve without it.

We buy the cars for the all round package, the drive, the power to weight ratio, the handling... all at a reasonably affordable price point. I doubt the 'froth' that they put on top of that package influenced a single purchase from the serious driver demographic.

All the gimmicks and automatic gizmos can be lived without and its still a fantastic car, I know because I've turned them all off.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
There no place for such driving on any road
Why?

How is this in any way dangerous or irresponsible?

The driver is just shifting gear under throttle and the car cuts the power via the ECU its not a drift mode or using the launch control at every set of lights......

·
Registered
161 Posts
Why?

How is this in any way dangerous or irresponsible?

The driver is just shifting gear under throttle and the car cuts the power via the ECU its not a drift mode or using the launch control at every set of lights......
Hmm interesting @StiggyTheST...So I understand your right foot is on the accelerator, your left foot presses the clutch at the same time and you change gear. Your right foot remains on the accelerator and you release the clutch, so to minimise the the loss of power during a gear change. Does the car cut the accelerator power when the clutch is depressed WHILST the accelerator is being pressed. On every manual car I have driven, if you press the clutch under acceleration the car revs freely as you are freeing the clutch plates under power.Thanks in advance for your patient and informative answer.👍🏻

·
Registered
161 Posts
I quite like this explanation, but is the Fiesta ST MK8 set up differently???

I look forward to some replies?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I understood that the shift light is the indicator for when to flat shift or am l wrong?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I understood that the shift light is the indicator for when to flat shift or am l wrong?
Hi @ZoSo, I thought it was just there to let you know when to change gear, releasing the gas and depressing the clutch as per the usual method of changing gear in a manual motor...I might be wrong?? I haven't got my ST3 yet (Impatiently waiting😀), I dont think there is anything in the Ford User Manual about Flat Shifting (power shifting) unless I have missed it. I wouldn't have thought Ford would encourage owners to damage their vehicle if flat shifting was an option? The plot thickens...😊

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Yes @edenr1 the gear number that comes up on the dash is a fuel efficiency thing only, identical to our ecoboost engined Focus of the same age.

Its telling you to change up to reduce revs and thus fuel burn. It works in reverse for down shifting too if the engine is labouring in a gear too high for the speed you're doing.

Nothing to do with flat shifting.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think you are confusing the shift light to the ST shift light on the PP equipped cars

Yes @edenr1 the gear number that comes up on the dash is a fuel efficiency thing only, identical to our ecoboost engined Focus of the same age.

Its telling you to change up to reduce revs and thus fuel burn. It works in reverse for down shifting too if the engine is labouring in a gear too high for the speed you're doing.

Nothing to do with flat shifting.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think you are confusing the shift light to the ST shift light on the PP equipped cars
Hmm what's the difference between the two shift lights. I was under the impression that non PP ST didn't have a shift light at all and the addition of PP added the shift light? Thanks @Danny1 for enlightening me👍🏻

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Performance Shift Light Indicator is designed to optimise your gear shifts and improve performance it comes up as a tiny tiny little ST logo in your Rev counter, the shift 'arrow' is basically what Keithsson was alluding to earlier.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts