Fiesta ST Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

Registered
The Performance Shift Light Indicator is designed to optimise your gear shifts and improve performance it comes up as a tiny tiny little ST logo in your Rev counter, the shift 'arrow' is basically what Keithsson was alluding to earlier.
Hi @Danny1 thanks for the reply. So does the ST with PP have both the Shift Arrow and ST Logo Shift Light indicator, do they not have the same purpose to 'optimise your gear shifts'...Thanks for your friendly and patient replies馃槉

Registered
Hi @Danny1 thanks for the reply. So does the ST with PP have both the Shift Arrow and ST Logo Shift Light indicator, do they not have the same purpose to 'optimise your gear shifts'...Thanks for your friendly and patient replies馃槉
Hi edenr1,
Yes they have both, the shift arrow is basically 'economy' and the ST for 'performance'

Registered
Hi edenr1,
Yes they have both, the shift arrow is basically 'economy' and the ST for 'performance'
Thanks @Danny1, so presumably the Green shift arrow for economy activates at much lower revs and the ST Logo activates nearer the red line to maximise performance and power output.

Does the ST light only work in certain drive modes? I still dont quite understand the Flat/ Power shifting but that's one query cleared up much appreciated馃槑

Premium Member
The Performance Shift Light Indicator is designed to optimise your gear shifts and improve performance it comes up as a tiny tiny little ST logo in your Rev counter, the shift 'arrow' is basically what Keithsson was alluding to earlier.
I honourably defer 馃憤

Mine is PP so the ST logo you refer to must be tincey wincey as i've never noticed it. Mind you I'm old school, when accelerating hard I tend to look through the windscreen, not at the instruments 馃ぃ

Registered
I honourably defer 馃憤

Mine is PP so the ST logo you refer to must be tincey wincey as i've never noticed it. Mind you I'm old school, when accelerating hard I tend to look through the windscreen, not at the instruments 馃ぃ
Hi @Keithsson, I ran a Focus ST for a couple of years and could never see the point of the boost gauges on top of the dashboard...In order to activate them you had to 'give it the beans' and I wouldn't of wanted to be looking anywhere else other than the road. The car had some quite magnificent torque steer which needed a firm hand and nerves of steel馃槑

Premium Member
Hi @Keithsson, I ran a Focus ST for a couple of years and could never see the point of the boost gauges on top of the dashboard...In order to activate them you had to 'give it the beans' and I wouldn't of wanted to be looking anywhere else other than the road. The car had some quite magnificent torque steer which needed a firm hand and nerves of steel馃槑
Indeed. And now @Danny1 has kindly shown me the light (literally, not in a religious conversation sense you understand 馃ぃ) I can clearly see why I've never seen it before.

Firstly I wouldn't be looking at my dashboard in that situation. I have two audio sensors on the sides of my head fitted as standard that feed data to a walnut shaped ECU that sits somewhere in the huge void between them. My ECU has gained sufficient experience down the years to know when it's time to shift gear and when it's time for the visual sensors to be trained on the road in front... experience gained from having never been hit by anything found on the dashboard, its always things in the road that crash into you.

Secondly, like @Torque , I just couldn't bring myself to do that to my baby. The only excessive Rev's to be found in my life was an imbalance of clergy at a Vicars and Tarts party once... and no-one wanted that either... well, apart from the Tarts maybe馃憤

So whilst every day is a school day 'n' all, having learned of the existence of a tiny weeny light that comes on when the engine is screaming I can just add it to the extensive list of pointless gimmicks that serve no practical purpose to me.

Premium Member
if you look at the mountune re map features, it states optimised no lift shift function, so yes its real and yes it works, pretty well imo.
Normal cars just bounce off the limiter and cut the power if you try flat foot shifting, the ST doesnt, it sounds great and it rewards you with instant full power.
I think it kind of holds the revs for you like it does when your using launch control, only it holds the revs at 6250 instead of about 3500.
There is definitely a straight line performance gain from flat foot shifting, just try it and you will feel it.
Its not something i use regularly, but once in a while if im in the mood ill give it a go, and tbh i quite like it.
Imo it doesnt mean you are driving dangerously and i dont believe its just for on track, how would it be anymore dangerous than just going flat out up through the gears as normal?

Registered
Fiesta does torque steer a bit sometimes.

Registered
Fiesta does torque steer a bit sometimes.
Yeh I did read that but I think it is helped by all the extra technology and of course the LSD...I would imagine it is nearly impossible to dial out all torque steer when putting 200bhp+ through the same wheels that are doing the steering. I didn't think it was too bad at all when I test drove the car and as I was able to take the car out without the sales rep, I did have a little bit if fun on a few quieter roads.馃憤馃徎

Registered
Yeh I did read that but I think it is helped by all the extra technology and of course the LSD...I would imagine it is nearly impossible to dial out all torque steer when putting 200bhp+ through the same wheels that are doing the steering. I didn't think it was too bad at all when I test drove the car and as I was able to take the car out without the sales rep, I did have a little bit if fun on a few quieter roads.馃憤馃徎
I had 2 x focus ST鈥榮 one after the other and can attest to the fact that the fiesta appears totally controlled in comparison.
l found the focus ST鈥榮 more manageable with the traction control off (apart from damp or wet roads) as you could feel more of what the front was doing as the traction control was very intrusive.
l have never felt the need to turn it off in the fiesta.

Registered
At risk of 'prodding an angry bear', I am still keeping to understand the process of Flat Shifting in the Mk8 in case the engine/ transmission etc is set up differently. I won't be doing it in my car but really keen to know what the process mechanically, pedal sequence and electronically, if there is any intervention to stop the clutch plates slamming together at different speeds and the synchronisers throwing their toys out of the pram. Thanks in advance for a friendly response. I know there is always one...And it is generally me馃槉

Premium Member
Right there seems to be a bit of confusion here.

There is a green arrow that comes up to advise when to shift for economy, an ST light that comes up to advise when to shift before hitting the rev limiter and the car can also handle gearshifts with the throttle pedal down.

Personally I don't use flat shifting as I have the m260 ASMO map (for max pops and bangs) which doesn't have that feature the non ASMO map does.

The car will cut the power when you depress the clutch allowing you to keep your foot on the throttle thus making it marginally easier on the cars transmission. Race cars have had this for years now and cars like the Alfa Giulia in its performance models have it.

Now I'm not suggesting you use it we're supposed to be adults on here so its up to you but it is a standard feature on the car so make of it what you will.....

Registered
Right there seems to be a bit of confusion here.

There is a green arrow that comes up to advise when to shift for economy, an ST light that comes up to advise when to shift before hitting the rev limiter and the car can also handle gearshifts with the throttle pedal down.

Personally I don't use flat shifting as I have the m260 ASMO map (for max pops and bangs) which doesn't have that feature the non ASMO map does.

The car will cut the power when you depress the clutch allowing you to keep your foot on the throttle thus making it marginally easier on the cars transmission. Race cars have had this for years not and cars like the Alfa Giulia in its performance models have it.

Now I'm not suggesting you use it we're supposed to be adults on here so its up to you but it is a standard feature on the car so make of it what you will.....
Hi @StiggyTheST thanks for your reply. The missing info for me and the discovery is that the car cuts the power when the clutch is depressed whilst being the gas, presumably enabling the moving parts to safely interact with each other with the accelerator depressed. Thanks again for clearing this up. All the best馃憤馃徎

Registered
At risk of 'prodding an angry bear', I am still keeping to understand the process of Flat Shifting in the Mk8 in case the engine/ transmission etc is set up differently. I won't be doing it in my car but really keen to know what the process mechanically, pedal sequence and electronically, if there is any intervention to stop the clutch plates slamming together at different speeds and the synchronisers throwing their toys out of the pram. Thanks in advance for a friendly response. I know there is always one...And it is generally me馃槉
[/QUOTE
After seeing the top gears episode on the mk8 flat foot shifting. I found out you don鈥檛 need to do it the old way. The mk8 st goes one step better. Mastering the flat foot shifting in the st is easy put in sport mode drive it till the st light comes on and keep you foot pressed on the throttle and change gear yes with no clutch. It鈥檚 a game changer make your gear changes so quick. As a result of this way of shifting the response from each gear change is straight on the power no lag

21 - 40 of 67 Posts