Fiesta ST Forums banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
After seeing the top gears episode on the mk8 flat foot shifting. I found out you don’t need to do it the old way. The mk8 st goes one step better. Mastering the flat foot shifting in the st is easy put in sport mode drive it till the st light comes on and keep you foot pressed on the throttle and change gear yes with no clutch. It’s a game changer make your gear changes so quick. As a result of this way of shifting the response from each gear change is straight on the power no lag

·
Registered
4 Posts
After seeing the top gears episode on the mk8 flat foot shifting. I found out you don’t need to do it the old way. The mk8 st goes one step better. Mastering the flat foot shifting in the st is easy put in sport mode drive it till the st light comes on and keep you foot pressed on the throttle and change gear yes with no clutch. It’s a game changer make your gear changes so quick. As a result of this way of shifting the response from each gear change is straight on the power no lag

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes no clutch, no joke works well. The engine revs are matched the same as the gear box so just goes straight in. Plus I do have the performance pack on my st

·
Registered
151 Posts
Shifting requires the use of clutch. It's possible to shift the gears at low rpm without the use of clutch but it's definitely not something I would do at 6k RPM.

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,111 Posts
The engine revs are matched the same as the gear box so just goes straight in.
If that were the case double declutching would have never been a thing before synchros. If you're changing gears the speeds will always be different from one gear to another.

Yes, it is technically possible to shift without the clutch, at least I know it is on a sequential gearbox as I have done it with Motocross bikes.

In a car it doesn't seem wise. I used to know a guy who had an old mini who shifted without the clutch but it didn't last long

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Shifting requires the use of clutch. It's possible to shift the gears at low rpm without the use of clutch but it's definitely not something I would do at 6k RPM.
So in the video I linked, is the clutch being used when changing gear or as said, cars with the performance pack fitted eliminates the need to depress the clutch when changing gear at the correct revs highlighted on the dash? I’m just trying to learn about the method being used and being disputed in this thread

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
So in the video I linked, is the clutch being used when changing gear or as said, cars with the performance pack fitted eliminates the need to depress the clutch when changing gear at the correct revs highlighted on the dash? I’m just trying to learn about the method being used and being disputed in this thread
Flat shifting simply cuts the throttle when you change gear in a road car you'd use the clutch but unless your a youtube hero there really is very little point plus it will put more stress on the drive train.

Realistically it will make F all difference to road driving.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
What difference does having a diff make to the clutch/gearbox?

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
What difference does having a diff make to the clutch/gearbox?
No idea? It was mentioned in a few videos and in this thread that the performance pack was fitted

Flat shifting simply cuts the throttle when you change gear in a road car you'd use the clutch but unless your a youtube hero there really is very little point plus it will put more stress on the drive train.

Realistically it will make F all difference to road driving.
But the car is capable of doing flat shifting is it not?!

A post on here has been called out as BS which it appears is incorrect. If it’s good for the car or not it’s the owners choice

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
No idea? It was mentioned in a few videos and in this thread that the performance pack was fitted

But the car is capable of doing flat shifting is it not?!

A post on here has been called out as BS which it appears is incorrect. If it’s good for the car or not it’s the owners choice
If your using the car on the road it will make little or no difference similar to the launch control.

Yes the car is capable of doing it just like the car can hold its revs for a launch.

Why does it matter to you that a road car can do this is surely the point you should be asking yourself......

Gimmicks don't make a car better to drive or a driver any [email protected]+×÷=#

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
If your using the car on the road it will make little or no difference similar to the launch control.

Yes the car is capable of doing it just like the car can hold its revs for a launch.

Why does it matter to you that a road car can do this is surely the point you should be asking yourself......

Gimmicks don't make a car better to drive or a driver any [email protected]+×÷=#
So you can change gear without depressing the clutch with no adverse effect as the car has been designed to do it (as per the marketing gumf) is what I’m trying to establish.

It might be a gimmick, but it’s possible, no?

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Just re-read the thread, so you keep your foot down on both pedals

@StiggyTheST no harm in learning new things. Not everyone has the same knowledge as others

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Just re-read the thread, so you keep your foot down on both pedals

@StiggyTheST no harm in learning new things. Not everyone has the same knowledge as others
As far as i understand it you still press the clutch pedal but don't come off the accelerator. Not sure if he used the clutch pedal in that video, i would give it a go in someone else's car but not mine 😄

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
As far as i understand it you still press the clutch pedal but don't come off the accelerator. Not sure if he used the clutch pedal in that video, i would give it a go in someone else's car but not mine 😄
That’s what is confusing me regarding the clutch pedal given comments on this thread and videos on YouTube. Seems a lot of contradiction.

Having delved a little deeper on the interweb, tutorials seem to say the clutch should be depressed 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
well all i can say is try it for yourself.
When i first read about flat foot shifting, i assumed you didnt need to use the clutch, so i went out and tried it, and i tried to flat foot shift about 3 times, after the first failed attempt i thought perhaps i wasnt at the right revs or something, so i tried again, but even with a strong effort, it wouldn't even come out of gear, never mind go in the next gear.

Try it again using the clutch, and you can just tell it works good.

I think my misunderstanding came from thinking the mk3 focus RS has flat foot shifting, with no clutch needed from 1st to 2nd gear, but wether thats right or not, it certainly doesn't apply to the fiesta.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts