Fiesta ST Forums banner

Magnetic Grey or Frozen White

• Magnetic Grey

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Frozen white

Votes: 12 46.2%
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Premium Member
I always keep a nice clean car and I had a white car once... and there's the clue, just once, never again.

Its all well and good choosing a colour on a garage forecourt when they're all sparkly, or during weather like we're experiencing right now in the UK when cars don't get dirty.

@Khamal is fine, he's in Greece, choose white mate 馃憤

But back home project forward to a British Autumn and winter (and let's be honest most of spring and summer too!). Dry roads are rarer than an Audi not being driven by a 馃崋.

You just can't take a white car out without 'road wash' being deposited up the sides, salt, mud and general crud. You know its there on a coloured car too but you don't see it until it gets bad. Seeing a grey film on it after even the shortest of journeys really itched my 馃挬

In the UK with those choices, choose grey.

Registered
Talking of colours for not showing the dirt, silver is great for that - however ST in silver just isn't the right choice in my opinion.

Black, white or grey is what I narrowed it down to, black also no good for keeping clean.

I went white in the end and didn't regret it, Ford use a brilliant white (in comparison with many other white cars) it really stands out. I walk up to it when I leave work and it looks the business especially with the LED lights. I put a couple of photos on another thread recently.
https://www.fiestastoc.com/attachments/c2019-05-18-13-26-38-jpg.583274/
https://www.fiestastoc.com/attachments/g2019-05-18-13-27-35-jpg.583275/

I bought mine in 2019 when you could configure the ST-2 with 18" wheels, this was in my opinion the best bang-for-your-buck configuration. The ST-2 had the B&O speakers as standard which really are superb and I actually prefer the ST-2 seats they never show any signs of wear. Plus obviously it was cheaper.

Also if you're getting full LED headlamps you may want to upgrade the fog lights to match, otherwise the standard halogens look yellow in comparison.

Premium Member
Spot on regarding black @jolley, its terrible for keeping clean. Both black and white also accentuate that 'dirty' summer rain that deposits Saharan sand... so they're both an all year round 馃挬 itch.

Agree too on silver, great for 'losing' the dirt 馃憤

Edit : I'm a stock guy so its of no interest to me but on the halogen fog lights swap I note you are relatively new to the site...

There was a long discussion on this so can anyone else remember if we ever established that swapping in halogen fogs was or wasn't an MOT failure?

Premium Member
Spot on regarding black @jolley, its terrible for keeping clean. Both black and white also accentuate that 'dirty' summer rain that deposits Saharan sand... so they're both an all year round 馃挬 itch.

Edit : I'm a stock guy so its of no interest to me but on the halogen fog lights swap I note you are relatively new to the site...

There was a long discussion on this so can anyone else remember if we ever established that swapping in halogen fogs was or wasn't an MOT failure?
All the reading that I have personally done only refers to failing Headlight 'LED Conversions', and says nothing about any other bulbs - Fog, Indicators, Brake, Reverse, etc. Although many people said that the yellow light is better at penetrating the fog (although I have no expertise to be able to weigh in on this element).

Registered
All the reading that I have personally done only refers to failing Headlight 'LED Conversions', and says nothing about any other bulbs - Fog, Indicators, Brake, Reverse, etc. Although many people said that the yellow light is better at penetrating the fog (although I have no expertise to be able to weigh in on this element).
Hi @Torque and others, yeh I remember the discussion, I am sure that others have stated that adding the LED bulbs shouldn't be a problem for an MOT but as you stated the LED bulbs don't necessarily perform so well in the fog. The word 'Shouldn't' did come up recently in another thread when another forum member was met by a Service Manager, on collection of his car, to state that a modification would negate his vehicle warranty unless he refitted the original part, so personally I would want permission in writing from Ford, even for changing the fog light bulbs馃憤馃徎

Premium Member

I had my second year service 2 weeks ago at my Ford dealer and asked them if my LED fog light bulbs and clear sequential led door mirror indicators would pass the mot next year, they confirmed that they are both ok and will be fine for the mot.

Registered
Magnetic grey
The frozen white seems so prone to chipping
Please don't take this as a facetious (DOn't know how to spell the word馃) comment, but is Magnetic Grey less prone to chipping? Stone chips are the bain of my motoring pleasure. You work hard to maintain the special look of your car, keep it regularly washed, polished and looking the business and unless you have the disposable income to warrant PPF, along come those pesky stones to spoil the day. If I had my way, my country, if I was in charge, the road would be hoovered prior to me driving on it.. It is unfortunate fact that whatever the colour of the car those 'horrible stones will always come along at some point and &#ss you off...I have no doubt that my Agate Black ST3 (When it arrives) will all too easily find the odd stone to spoil it's appearance. Anyway not grumpy just don't like stones WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE!!! I do think if Ford offered PPF in the finance package more of us would take them up on the option馃槑

Premium Member
Well if I was in charge roads would get resurfaced properly, not this modern 'throw some tar the road then lob a bunch of stones over it and keep your fingers crossed that they stick' thing 馃檮

Next best option, lifetime imprisonment without parole for anyone who doesn't keep dead slow on recently laid stones 馃え

Tough on stone chips and tough on the causes of stone chips.

Registered
Please don't take this as a facetious (DOn't know how to spell the word馃) comment, but is Magnetic Grey less prone to chipping? Stone chips are the bain of my motoring pleasure. You work hard to maintain the special look of your car, keep it regularly washed, polished and looking the business and unless you have the disposable income to warrant PPF, along come those pesky stones to spoil the day. If I had my way, my country, if I was in charge, the road would be hoovered prior to me driving on it.. It is unfortunate fact that whatever the colour of the car those 'horrible stones will always come along at some point and &#ss you off...I have no doubt that my Agate Black ST3 (When it arrives) will all too easily find the odd stone to spoil it's appearance. Anyway not grumpy just don't like stones WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE!!! I do think if Ford offered PPF in the finance package more of us would take them up on the option馃槑
My cousin has a Mk2 Rs focus the front of it and up the sides look like they have been hit by a shotgun. I dismissed what he said re frozen white and big fat went and bought a frozen white mk8 st

And I鈥檝e picked up stone chips - i was devastated by it 馃檲
I really was heartbroken
Scottish roads suck !

Premium Member
One consolation is white is the easiest colour to repair, I have done rattle can resprays of bumpers and bonnets in white and come up well. 2nd is red If you get a good paint match. Anything else I've attempted has been dreadful 馃う馃徎鈥嶁檪锔.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts