Fiesta ST Forums banner

Magnetic Grey or Frozen White

• Magnetic Grey

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Frozen white

Votes: 13 48.1%

Ford Fiesta ST2 Magnetic Grey or Frozen white?

6K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  Twiddle 
#1 ·
Hello, i am interested to buy a Fiesta ST2 MK8 3 door with performance pack and led headlights. I can't decide what colour to pick. I was ready to order it in frozen white (because i think looks nice with 17 wheels) but after some research in youtube and google i think magnetic grey looks cool too and maybe more grown up (i am 30 years old). I hope you can help me with some pictures of your cars if its possible.

#4 ·
I have Magnetic Grey and I personally like that it's quite understated; I'd rather have it fly under the radar.

I do really like the 'Stormtrooper' type style of a White car with black trim, but, with the standard STs things like the front grill and fog light surrounds aren't a gloss black, they're more of a dark satin grey, so you can't really go for the Stormtrooper scheme properly. If they offered the gloss black trims and wheels from the ST Edition for all 'standard' STs, then White would be a serious contender imo.

#5 ·
Before the ST Edition came along I was struggling with this, and also silver fox.

I think the magnetic is really nice but sometimes seems too subtle, and the white is very hot hatch.
I ended up settling for Silver Fox then Ford pulled it as a colour choice.

So bought an Edition instead 😂

#9 ·
I voted the Frozen White one, cause I gonna have such one myself :D

#10 ·
I’d go with whichever has the shortest lead times. Given the current state of things I don’t think you can be too fussy and both colours are great.

Pros for white (I have one) is it looks quite hot hatch (especially with the ST3 red brake calliper) and being a flat bright colour should hide imperfections like small scratches quite well. It is also marginally cheaper. On the other hand it also shows up dirt 5 mins after you washed it and all the panel gaps stand out more (which are pretty crap especially for a car assembled in Germany).

Any particular reason for going the ST2 route? By the time you add the performance pack it isn’t that much cheaper. I was looking at the 2 with pp myself but there were bigger discounts on the 3 and in the end it made better sense (plus the seat fabric is excellent).

#12 ·
The reasons to choose ST2 over ST3 are two. The price of course (ST2 with white colour, performance pack, led headlights costs 22.000 and ST3 with the same package costs 26.000) and for the ride quality of 17'' wheels since the roads in my country are not very good. I agree that delivery time is the key factor but i am made this post in case both colours are available.

#19 ·
A vote for white here. I have a white ST3 on order.

The basis of my choice was a visit to a showroom. They had a white ST2 which I test drove and a couple of white ST Lines. They also had a couple of normal Fiestas in Magnetic Grey. They weren't ST's though. Still it was enough to compare them. I parked the ST next to one of the grey ones and the decision was easy for me. The white popped and the grey just looked a little muted in comparison. Was an easy choice for me when I saw them together.

#21 ·
I always keep a nice clean car and I had a white car once... and there's the clue, just once, never again.

Its all well and good choosing a colour on a garage forecourt when they're all sparkly, or during weather like we're experiencing right now in the UK when cars don't get dirty.

@Khamal is fine, he's in Greece, choose white mate 👍

But back home project forward to a British Autumn and winter (and let's be honest most of spring and summer too!). Dry roads are rarer than an Audi not being driven by a 🍆.

You just can't take a white car out without 'road wash' being deposited up the sides, salt, mud and general crud. You know its there on a coloured car too but you don't see it until it gets bad. Seeing a grey film on it after even the shortest of journeys really itched my 💩

In the UK with those choices, choose grey.

#22 · (Edited)
Talking of colours for not showing the dirt, silver is great for that - however ST in silver just isn't the right choice in my opinion.

Black, white or grey is what I narrowed it down to, black also no good for keeping clean.

I went white in the end and didn't regret it, Ford use a brilliant white (in comparison with many other white cars) it really stands out. I walk up to it when I leave work and it looks the business especially with the LED lights. I put a couple of photos on another thread recently.
https://www.fiestastoc.com/attachments/c2019-05-18-13-26-38-jpg.583274/
https://www.fiestastoc.com/attachments/g2019-05-18-13-27-35-jpg.583275/

I bought mine in 2019 when you could configure the ST-2 with 18" wheels, this was in my opinion the best bang-for-your-buck configuration. The ST-2 had the B&O speakers as standard which really are superb and I actually prefer the ST-2 seats they never show any signs of wear. Plus obviously it was cheaper.

Also if you're getting full LED headlamps you may want to upgrade the fog lights to match, otherwise the standard halogens look yellow in comparison.

#23 · (Edited)
Spot on regarding black @jolley, its terrible for keeping clean. Both black and white also accentuate that 'dirty' summer rain that deposits Saharan sand... so they're both an all year round 💩 itch.

Agree too on silver, great for 'losing' the dirt 👍

Edit : I'm a stock guy so its of no interest to me but on the halogen fog lights swap I note you are relatively new to the site...

There was a long discussion on this so can anyone else remember if we ever established that swapping in halogen fogs was or wasn't an MOT failure?

#25 ·
Spot on regarding black @jolley, its terrible for keeping clean. Both black and white also accentuate that 'dirty' summer rain that deposits Saharan sand... so they're both an all year round 💩 itch.

Agree too on silver, great for 'losing' the dirt 👍

Edit : I'm a stock guy so its of no interest to me but on the halogen fog lights swap I note you are relatively new to the site...

There was a long discussion on this so can anyone else remember if we ever established that swapping in halogen fogs was or wasn't an MOT failure?
All the reading that I have personally done only refers to failing Headlight 'LED Conversions', and says nothing about any other bulbs - Fog, Indicators, Brake, Reverse, etc. Although many people said that the yellow light is better at penetrating the fog (although I have no expertise to be able to weigh in on this element).

#32 · (Edited)
Magnetic grey
The frozen white seems so prone to chipping
Please don't take this as a facetious (DOn't know how to spell the word🤔) comment, but is Magnetic Grey less prone to chipping? Stone chips are the bain of my motoring pleasure. You work hard to maintain the special look of your car, keep it regularly washed, polished and looking the business and unless you have the disposable income to warrant PPF, along come those pesky stones to spoil the day. If I had my way, my country, if I was in charge, the road would be hoovered prior to me driving on it.. It is unfortunate fact that whatever the colour of the car those 'horrible stones will always come along at some point and &#ss you off...I have no doubt that my Agate Black ST3 (When it arrives) will all too easily find the odd stone to spoil it's appearance. Anyway not grumpy just don't like stones WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE!!! I do think if Ford offered PPF in the finance package more of us would take them up on the option😎

#33 ·
Well if I was in charge roads would get resurfaced properly, not this modern 'throw some tar the road then lob a bunch of stones over it and keep your fingers crossed that they stick' thing 🙄

Next best option, lifetime imprisonment without parole for anyone who doesn't keep dead slow on recently laid stones 🤨

Tough on stone chips and tough on the causes of stone chips.

#36 ·
One consolation is white is the easiest colour to repair, I have done rattle can resprays of bumpers and bonnets in white and come up well. 2nd is red If you get a good paint match. Anything else I've attempted has been dreadful 🤦🏻‍♂️.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.