Fiesta ST Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
The thread will be a standard M12 thread, Ford haven't changed that for years.
The supplied spring is a real odd one? I have no idea why they would supply you with a spring? Just for my sanity could you post a pic of the spring too?
Yeah I think you’re right about it being a busted helicoil. I bought it off eBay but it makes me think that the seller out this in to get it to thread, or it was fitted as standard and busted on removal
Hand Body jewelry Gesture Finger Thumb
Hand Automotive tire Household hardware Wood Finger

·
Registered
885 Posts
is the one on this website listed for £69.99 the actual for performance one or a copy, i can't tell.
Thanks
I think the B7's are the copies. someone on Facebook posted these photo's, they are different shapes. The Ford one is the one with the black band around the middle you can see in one of the photo's. I will say that i do prefer the one without the ST logo know and might change it one day.
Glasses Cap Sunglasses Wood Goggles
Wood Automotive lighting Button Electric blue Glass
Guitar accessory Automotive lighting Button Pin-back button Electric blue

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah I think you’re right about it being a busted helicoil. I bought it off eBay but it makes me think that the seller out this in to get it to thread, or it was fitted as standard and busted on removal View attachment 585430 View attachment 585431
Ah yes that looks like a helicoil insert to me, l imagine it was locked up and damaged on removal! You can pick up helicoils on eBay or Screwfix cheap enough you will just need the installing tool, you might be able to borrow one?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I must admit ive bought the copy gearstick **** and I am very impressed with it. It feels expensive and looks VERY similar to the original (before ford put the band on). Ive also gotthe mountune quick shift and its a proper quality bit of kit , totally 100% recommended. Will take a photo of the **** tomorrow to show what it looks like 👍

·
Registered
114 Posts
The thread will be a standard M12 thread, Ford haven't changed that for years.
The supplied spring is a real odd one? I have no idea why they would supply you with a spring? Just for my sanity could you post a pic of the spring too?
Yeah I think you’re right about it being a busted helicoil. I bought it off eBay but it makes me think that the seller out this in to get it to thread, or it was fitted as standard and busted on removal View attachment 585430

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks Danny, this has been very helpful. One last question if I could… assuming the thread is an M12, is this the size helicpild I’d need to insert in as a replacement. Or would this be and M10 assuming that’s the size on the gear-lever?
Ah yes that looks like a helicoil insert to me, l imagine it was locked up and damaged on removal! You can pick up helicoils on eBay or Screwfix cheap enough you will just need the installing tool, you might be able to borrow one?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks Danny, this has been very helpful. One last question if I could… assuming the thread is an M12, is this the size helicpild I’d need to insert in as a replacement. Or would this be and M10 assuming that’s the size on the gear-lever?
Hi Dinklebaga,
Sorry been busy today, the thread of the shaft is M12x1.25 so you would need need a helicoil for that size, there are some cheap kits available on eBay/amazon it all depends if the thread isn't too damaged in the gearknob?
The alternative is a threaded insert like you may have seen on some furniture? that may be a simpler option? but avoid brass as that will probably bind up at when you try and take it off!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Dinklebaga,
Sorry been busy today, the thread of the shaft is M12x1.25 so you would need need a helicoil for that size, there are some cheap kits available on eBay/amazon it all depends if the thread isn't too damaged in the gearknob?
The alternative is a threaded insert like you may have seen on some furniture? that may be a simpler option? but avoid brass as that will probably bind up at when you try and take it off!

That’s fantastic mate, thanks for your help with that! I’ll have a look over both options and get one ordered - still determined to get it on the car even if it wasn’t as simple as it should have been :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well it’s on and secure! I think either the seller I bought it from, or the person they bought it from had stripper the thread at some point and it had previously had a helicoil repair on it. I’ve done the same myself and a bit of locktite to ensure the thread doesn’t come loose, but very happy that it’s on and looks smart.
Vehicle Car White Automotive design Steering wheel

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Very nice.

I see you have a USB stick next to the gear lever. I put mine in the one hidden in the armrest and use that one with my phone.

Just mentioning in case you don't know about the hidden one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very nice.

I see you have a USB stick next to the gear lever. I put mine in the one hidden in the armrest and use that one with my phone.

Just mentioning in case you don't know about the hidden one.
Well spotted, I was running the latest software update while working on the car. My phone is usually plugged into the one in the armrest leaving that one free.

Looking good! Glad you got it sorted (y)
Thanks again for your help with this!

41 - 60 of 62 Posts