Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Picked up my MK8 PE last week, only has 10k miles on it which is the newest car I have ever owned!
I noticed that the, I suppose fins behind the grills have small bits of debris, some tiny stones lodged in there that have bent some of the fins.

I was wondering had anyone any cheap solutions or DIY ones to fit a mesh behind it to protect this? I know Zunsport do one but at the price it seems a bit dear!

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
If you mean the radiator fins then I too would welcome some advice how to gently get bugs out of them. I really don't want to start poking about with a brush or jet blasting as those fins are quite delicate.

I figure its down to the amount of cooling the engine needs but this car collects bugs like now other I've had.

The big hexagonal grille holes just let our winged friends stream in. I've got 'bug on bug' action in some places, not in a sexy time way either! Dead bugs under dead bugs, under dead bugs. The build up must reduce airflow.

As regards fitting a mesh @JamesC115 I'll let the more experienced owners give you a definitive answer. But my amateur two penneth worth would be the car needs a strong flow of cooling air. A mesh would interrupt the flow of air and risk it running hot?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you mean the radiator fins then I too would welcome some advice how to gently get bugs out of them. I really don't want to start poking about with a brush or jet blasting as those fins are quite delicate.

I figure its down to the amount of cooling the engine needs but this car collects bugs like now other I've had.

The big hexagonal grille holes just let our winged friends stream in. I've got 'bug on bug' action in some places, not in a sexy time way either! Dead bugs under dead bugs, under dead bugs. The build up must reduce airflow.

As regards fitting a mesh @JamesC115 I'll let the more experienced owners give you a definitive answer. But my amateur two penneth worth would be the car needs a strong flow of cooling air. A mesh would interrupt the flow of air and risk it running hot?
Yeah. I think it seems like using a damn pair of tweezers is the best bet!

You are very correct re the air flow in. I was just curious since I saw Zunsport retailing one. Though that's a bit different to me buying some thin stiff mesh and doing it myself....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just looked at the Zunsport products and they look good. Would the intake of air really be that inhibited but these grills, as @Keithsson stated, over to the experts on the forum. I did think to amount of opening through to the radiators looks excessive. What isn't very clear is how you would install these behind the existing grills. I have watched a video on Youtube and when installed over the top of the existing grills I think they look terrible...😎

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I will be fitting a full frontal Vudu intercooler to protect the fins on my rad, seems the only sensible thing to do . . 👀😐

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
That sounds like it wouldn't be covered under warranty🧐
SSSHHHHH 😲

Very true, luckily a good friend of mine is the lead tech and a fully qualified mechanic, MOT chap and all round Ford nut at the main dealer I'll be using for servicing and any other issues. He has confirmed that a warranty claim for any thing other than the things I have changed will be good. The only thing it would fail a claim on is remaps, so potentially may either not remap until out of or nearly out of warranty or take the chance, I know Superchips Bluefin have their own warranty for their maps if found to be the cause of any engine damage, there is always options.

·
Registered
123 Posts
SSSHHHHH 😲

Very true, luckily a good friend of mine is the lead tech and a fully qualified mechanic, MOT chap and all round Ford nut at the main dealer I'll be using for servicing and any other issues. He has confirmed that a warranty claim for any thing other than the things I have changed will be good. The only thing it would fail a claim on is remaps, so potentially may either not remap until out of or nearly out of warranty or take the chance, I know Superchips Bluefin have their own warranty for their maps if found to be the cause of any engine damage, there is always options.
@Twiddle, I think you can get arrested for Full Frontal Intercoolers🤣

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Hi all!

Picked up my MK8 PE last week, only has 10k miles on it which is the newest car I have ever owned!
I noticed that the, I suppose fins behind the grills have small bits of debris, some tiny stones lodged in there that have bent some of the fins.

I was wondering had anyone any cheap solutions or DIY ones to fit a mesh behind it to protect this? I know Zunsport do one but at the price it seems a bit dear!

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
I’ve had Zunsport grills fitted for protection. They are well made and I know opinions of how they looks are subjective, but I like them.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Zunsport upper and lower grilles fitted here too and my Mountune Intercooler hasn’t got a mark on it….I bought these grilles with the intention of protecting the intercooler from picking up chips or fin damage and they’re definitely doing their job so far!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I’ve had Zunsport grills fitted for protection. They are well made and I know opinions of how they looks are subjective, but I like them.
Hi @old dave, I can see the benefit of these grills, but I would have them fitted behind the stock grills probably costing more to achieve this. I wonder if you have had any engine temperature issues, particularly during the really hot weather recently. I don't personally like the look of them fitted externally, but if we were all the same the world would be a boring place. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and personal preference must always be respected👍🏻

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Hi @old dave, I can see the benefit of these grills, but I would have them fitted behind the stock grills probably costing more to achieve this. I wonder if you have had any engine temperature issues, particularly during the really hot weather recently. I don't personally like the look of them fitted externally, but if we were all the same the world would be a boring place. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and personal preference must always be respected👍🏻
No engine temperature issues at all after fitting the grills.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts