Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a clunk noise in reverse mainly but sometimes forward and mainly right lock but sometimes left it seems to be affected by the angle of the road but not always all the wheel bearings are good with no noise from them and no play on any of then any ideas as to what this could be

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a clunk noise in reverse mainly but sometimes forward and mainly right lock but sometimes left it seems to be affected by the angle of the road but not always all the wheel bearings are good with no noise from them and no play on any of then any ideas as to what this could be
is the clunk on any perticula side it could be a drive shaft cv joint

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the clunk on any perticula side it could be a drive shaft cv joint
[/quote]

Thanks for reply I carnt really guess what side maybe it's the drivers. I had the same noise but alot louder and almost every time I turned a corner, I got the passenger side wheel bearing changed as it had play in it but that's sorted and the noise was gone for a few days but now it's back but not as bad like I said it's mainly in reverse on full right lock

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ment to say it's not a clunk clunk clunk it's only 1 clunk and I can do the same in reverse again and it won't do it till maybe after a drive and even then it might not but it will do it, just carnt recreate it as it does it when it wants

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Could be something as major as a bolt missing / loose which holds the lower suspension arm's to the car or as simple as your exhaust knocking with engine movement. Either way suggest you get it looked at by a pro.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be something as major as a bolt missing / loose which holds the lower suspension arm's to the car or as simple as your exhaust knocking with engine movement. Either way suggest you get it looked at by a pro.
[/quote]

Thanks for reply I have checked all I can and everything seems to be tight with no movement if it helps the car has done 70,000 miles so is anything common at that milage

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure if it's related but should there be a knock if I shake the steering to the left quite fast when in neutral and parked up that I can hear and feel through the floor also does it right if I shake the steering wheel but more so left

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
sounds like it could be a top mount on its way out. Check that the strut nut is tight first(the one in the middle of the mount) - they can work loose.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi mate I had a clunk from the front when turning the wheel sometimes quite loud too it would happen going front or back an was worse on uneven ground!! Turns out it was the strut top nut under the bonnet had came 1 1/2 turns loose even with the nylon lock nut on it! Hope this helps mate!

Cheers lee

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the feedback will give that nut ago tomorrow. It's weird cos it's not done it alot today I think it did it once but that's it allday which makes me think it's not a loose nut or something else cos it should do it all the time I think ??

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback will give that nut ago tomorrow. It's weird cos it's not done it alot today I think it did it once but that's it allday which makes me think it's not a loose nut or something else cos it should do it all the time I think ??
Does have the symptoms of a loose top nut, mine was like this for ages(not believing it was a loose nut, until i got a socket on it) - used to do it when manouvering, and parking only.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Funnily enough i had the EXACT same problem. turned out the car had a new wheel hub at some point and it was slightly wrong...off of a focus or a standard fiesta and this was pushing the bearing out of its place, when i took the wheel off the bearing had been pushed a good 7-8mm out of its seat.

Changed the hub, built it back up and it drives like a dream nowt. Might be worth just checking your bearing is sat properly

Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts