Fiesta ST Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my car, it came with one key. I also have the 2nd key to my old car so im not sure if that can be of any use?

Anyway, looking at this:

http://www.carkeyhelp.co.uk/products/Ford-Fiesta-transponder-key-FO21T.html

For about 20 quid I can get a key made that will allow me to access car and start engine. Is it really as simple as this? I dont need a remote key, its just for if I do something dumb like lock the car with the key inside while im outside (its possible when you got the boot open).

Just want a second working key, cheaply as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
You need two original keys to the car to program additional keys to your car. You would be able to get a key cut that will open doors and turn on in the ignition but it won't deactivate the immobiliser or let you start the car.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
to program a key yourself you need 2 keys, getting someone out with the equipment can do it. was around £65 on the work van

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
i only have one fully working key.

If i programmed the other key to work with my fiesta (only the electronic part will work as key itself is for different fiesta) would that count as 2 as far as programming a new key?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
ok cool, think i may have to just accept that im going to get done over by ford

online some random said this:

I lost the second key for a ford Ka.I desperately needed another but was scared of the prices I read on line.No problem I took the existing key to my local key cutter person. he cut me another key and read and transferred the chip code .20 mins and £30 job done.
The new key can open the doors manually (by key) and start the engine.(I could have had the press button extras as original for another £40 ) but for a spare I was ok without.
The key cutter is a friendly competent soul at Summer lane Barnsley.
I'm going to investigate further because this person says it was done on their car with one key.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
other places will do it for a lot cheaper, like the £65 it cost for the work van. i cant remember how much ford wanted but it was more than double that. i need a new key myself but its not urgent, my spare will unlock the car but its transponder thingy is dead

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how is a second key (£65 one) made if you require 2? Or is it a key that cant start the engine?

Sorry m8, this confuses me.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
You can get a key programmed by a locksmith off your original key but to do it yourself you need 2. Think ford charge over £100, I paid a locksmith £50 for a focus c-max key. Timpsons will out a key and programme it but I've never used them or would know how they go about it.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Just a little tip, I've always had three keys whenever I have owned a ford that you can programme the keys yourself. Saves all the hassle if you lose one as you can wipe the lost one from the memory and still have two keys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts