Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
Hi All!

I did this to my own ST about a month or two ago and have not had any issues with boiling PAS fluid since. I decided to go down the DIY route as the main brands charge what i personally think is a ridiculous amount for essentially a pipe and connector fittings.

Anyway it only cost me £25 in total (Mountune charge £99 for essentially the same kit).

For the kit you will need:

1 X Fiesta Mk6 power steering cooler pipe, can be found on eBay or at the scrappys.

Automotive lighting Human body Automotive design Bicycle part Hood

2 meters of 10mm ID nitrile hose/pipe

Eyebrow Hood Eyelash Office supplies Grille

1 X 10mm straight connector

Rectangle Font Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Jubile clips (can't remember what size or how many but they are to clamp the pipes so I expect them to be 15mm)

Additional PAS fluid

1. Firstly prep the parts you have acquired by cutting the bendy ends off the cooler pipe (it doesn't matter exactly where just as close the the bends as possible. See picture below for reference on where to cut.

2. Secondly you need to remove the headlights and then the front bumper, which is just a few clips and screws in the wheel arch. I'm sure there is a proper guide on this somewhere. Otherwise Haynes will sort you out!

3. You will now need to mount the cooler pipe on the front of the car. There is actually a hole ready for you to screw the cooler in as the fan assembly is the same as 'pov spec' fiesta's. To do this you may need to losen the plastic in the picture, the pipes then fit under this.

Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

4. With the cooler pipe in position you can measure up where to cut the 2 meters of nitrile hose. I found 2 meters to be bang on so only one cut was required. See pictures for how to route them as it's difficult to explain in text. A tip once you have cut the pipe is to assemble the pipes to and from the cooler first, this way once you disconnect the PAS fluid pipe at the resivouir you can stick it into the pipe going to the cooler quickly with minimal mess!

Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate Tire Car

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

5. Connect up all the pipes and route them as I have done in the pictures. I cable tied the two pipes near the headlight for tidiness and so that the headlight would fit back in.

6. Top up the resivoir with extra PAS fluid to account for the extra pipe work. I changed mine at this point for ease.

7. Check for any leaks before fitting the bumper.

8. Refit everything back.

9. Test drive it! It was a bit different to drive after but evened out after a day or so once any air had left the system.

This guide is quite basic as I didn't take many pictures or any notes as I went so this is all from memory. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know as I may have missed something basic. Please ask permission before re-posting and I am posting this for reference only and will not be held accountable for any damage cause whilst following this.

Enjoy a cooler PAS system for 1/4 cost!

Nick

Attachments

· Registered
85 Posts
Gonna do the same.
Bought my cooler second hand off ebay for £20.

When you took off the original return pipe to the reservoir, did you cut the pipe at all or just re-route down towards the wing/headlight and joined on the new pipe?

· Registered
85 Posts
Gonna do the same.
Bought my cooler second hand off ebay for £20.

When you took off the original return pipe to the reservoir, did you cut the pipe at all or just re-route down towards the wing/headlight and joined on the new pipe?
Just re-looked at the pictures and can see how you've done it.

Looks like the original return pipe is still totally in tact and can be put back to standard if required.

· Registered
55 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for this great guide!

One of the first things I noticed when I bought my ST was the black PAS fluid, so wanted to solve the problem without paying the ludicrous amounts for the kits online, and this has worked great :biggrin:

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Motor vehicle

Have had no leaks and it cost me the grand total of £35

Attachments

· Registered
735 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for this great guide!

One of the first things I noticed when I bought my ST was the black PAS fluid, so wanted to solve the problem without paying the ludicrous amounts for the kits online, and this has worked great :biggrin:

IMG_15351024.JPG

Have had no leaks and it cost me the grand total of £35
No worries man! Glad you found it useful! Just keep an eye out for pipes rubbing on the engine cover as mine had marginally worn a dent but nothing major to worry about

· Registered
38 Posts
It could be, if you're at all bothered about saving money then just fit the cooler and see how it goes, if your pas fluid still boils after fitting the cooler then relocate the reservoir as well, if not then you're all good!
Well I've already bought an Alloy reservoir and got an adaptor on the way, I will still need to buy hose though... so I may go about it from the other end. I guess it was more that I was wandering if the 2 mods would make the steering heavier or have some kind of adverse affect?

· Registered
17 Posts

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.