Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took delivery of my pre facelift ST, I was fitted with a Clifford Concept 650 Mk II. The Clifford alarm has an intermittent problem in that when I unlock the car from the remote, it will deactivate the alarm (2 audible bleeps) and the doors will unlock, only to lock themselves again a fraction of a second later. When this happens the alarm remains deactivated and the standard fit immobiliser is active. It is hard to say what triggers this intermittent fault although it seems to occur when the car has been standing in cooler weather for a couple of hours. Locking the car and then unlocking it immediately has cured the problem ... until this afternoon.

I had the alarm serviced a couple of days ago by one of Clifford's approved agents. They said that the alarm has two modes of unlocking in that it will try to unlock itself either for one second or three seconds. They thought that changing the unlock time to three seconds might help but couldn't do that as they need my four digit code, which was not given to me when I bought the car. The reason that the dealership couldn't access my code is that my alarm is an older model that interfaces with a computer via serial port. The modern alarms use USB. Their computer with serial ports is down at present and they need a week or so to get it up and running again.

This afternoon I unlocked the car using the Clifford remote. I got the two bleeps and the doors unlocked and immediately locked themselves again. I repeated the procedure but the unlock/lock kept happening. I phoned the people who had carried out the service and they confirmed that if the Clifford alarm had deactivated, it was OK to unlock the car with the key. I did this and when I opened the door I heard a quiet bleeping from under the bonnet ... then the alarm went off. As I was on the phone to the dealer at the time, he said that the alarm that was sounding was not the Clifford but the standard fit Ford alarm.. Shutting the door and locking the car with the remote button on the Ford key stopped the alarm from sounding. I then unlocked the car from the Ford key remote, started the engine, shut down and then alarmed the car with the Clifford remote. Everything has been OK since then.

I wondered if the central locking servo might be faulty but if that was the case then I wouldn't be able to alarm the car with the Ford key remote. The dealer asked if I had sometimes used the Ford remote on the key and at other times the Clifford remote from the fob. I know that I've always used the Clifford remote. It's not as if I was in the habit of unlocking the car from the Ford key. The car came to me with the Clifford alarm so I have always used their remote.

I'm going to get the car back to the Clifford dealership tomorrow for them to check it all over. They think that the standard fit alarm and the Clifford alarm might be getting mixed up with each other.

Anyone here got any ideas or experience of a similar problem with the Clifford Concept 650?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Are you getting lock/unlock issues when using the buttons on the Ford fob?

It's sounding like one of the door locking mechanisms are going faulty, the unlock and immediate lock situation you're describing will happen when you try to lock the car with one of the doors still physically open - or rather the locking mech *thinks* it's still open, which could be due to a faulty microswitch or wiring.

I have the Clifford G5 which is very similar to yours and have no "mixed up" issues with my standard alarm, the way they're wired means both alarms work independent of each other.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you getting lock/unlock issues when using the buttons on the Ford fob?

It's sounding like one of the door locking mechanisms are going faulty, the unlock and immediate lock situation you're describing will happen when you try to lock the car with one of the doors still physically open - or rather the locking mech *thinks* it's still open, which could be due to a faulty microswitch or wiring.

I have the Clifford G5 which is very similar to yours and have no "mixed up" issues with my standard alarm, the way they're wired means both alarms work independent of each other.
I get the issues when using the Clifford remote. It happens when I try to unlock the car rather than lock it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have that alarm and had no issues since I
A) changed the battery on the fob
B) left the standard key at home and use the spare key with no buttons on it

The standard key can double lock the system - which will confuse the clifford as clifford does not double lock as a safety feature (rather than a security one)

If you unlock with a ford fob it will set the clifford off for sure.

Do you have the autolock feature on ? ie it locks itself after a period of time if left unattended ? I turned mine off as it already immobilises itself and i do not want to lock keys in car (De lock bezal and boot! )

Use the manual an d disable this feature and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have that alarm and had no issues since I
A) changed the battery on the fob
B) left the standard key at home and use the spare key with no buttons on it

The standard key can double lock the system - which will confuse the clifford as clifford does not double lock as a safety feature (rather than a security one)

If you unlock with a ford fob it will set the clifford off for sure.

Do you have the autolock feature on ? ie it locks itself after a period of time if left unattended ? I turned mine off as it already immobilises itself and i do not want to lock keys in car (De lock bezal and boot! )

Use the manual an d disable this feature and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for the reply. The battery (It actually takes two) on the Clifford fob was changed this week. I never ever use the buttons on the Ford key to unlock/lock the car. When I took delivery of the car the Clifford was fitted so I haven't had to get used to the change. I do not have the autolock feature enabled.

The shop that serviced the alarm contacted Clifford today. They said it might be something to do with the diodes. When a signal goes down the wire they said it might be feeding back and the alarm was seeing that as a potential intrusion.

Hopefully I'll get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like crap.
lol !

yeah tbh Clifford are normally very careful about who fits their products. Do you trust these guys or is it worth a second opinion ?
[/quote]

I had the alarm service done at Pulse Audio in Hadleigh. They had previously fitted a new ICE head unit and Parrott Bluetooth adaptor for me and they made a really good job of it.

When they serviced the alarm, they confirmed that unlike some installations they had seen, the original install work on my Clifford was very good. They phoned Clifford about the recurring unlock/lock problem and Clifford advised replacing diodes (Sorry I can't be more specific) as there was a possibility that the remote unlock signal from the Clifford fob was transmitting a feedback signal.

I've had the car back for a few hours now and so far, so good.

Pulse Audio are a really good dealership. From my experience with them I would certainly trust them to do a good job.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like crap.
It has been crap to get it sorted but this is a Thatcham approved CAT1 alarm. I guess it's better than the Ford standard fit. I'm not sure that I would have had it fitted as an aftermarket product as the current cost of a Clifford Concept Mk II with fitting is £430 ... and it doesn't reduce my insurance premium although an aftermarket alarm may have been a requirement in a higher risk area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts