Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help working out what’s gone wrong with the car. Driving last night and car started spluttering and felt like it was on 2 cylinders, quite a lot of smoke which smelled like unburned fuel. Got recovered, plugged it in to forscan and I’m getting codes for misfire on cylinder 2 and 3 and also P053F to do with the fuel system. The oil also smells really strongly of fuel.

TIA

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sparkplugs??
They’re only 2000 miles old, all properly gapped. Can’t see how 2 would have failed at the same time, same with coil pack, they've only done 15k and can’t see 2 dying at once either.

Also would/could bad plugs/coils cause the fuel to mix with the oil? I mean I’m guessing the fuel that isn’t burning has to go somewhere and the only place i can think is past the rings?

Luckily I don’t need the car for the next few weeks so want to do as much digging to find the issue myself and potentially repair it as I’d rather learn from it than just get someone to repair it. It leaves me none the wiser on how to approach that kind of issue in the future if I just get it fixed lol.

I’m guessing so far that it’s to do with fuelling due to that P053F code.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
First thing I'd be checking is plugs and coil packs. Then I'd be doing a compression test. Sounds like it could be a possible head gasket failure if the above is OK.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd be doing a compression test. Sounds like a possible head gasket failure.
Actually yeah that’s a good shout, could have failed between 2 and 3. That’s my job for tomorrow after work. I just knew that compression tester would come in handy one day 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just had someone on FB say they had failed injectors in 2 and 3 that went at the same time, both split apparently 🤷🏼‍♂️

You know when u ask a question then wish you hadn‘t 🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got around to having a quick look at the car, pulled the plugs and all look exactly the same except the one from cylinder 2. 1,3 and 4 all look a little bit sooty but 2 looks a lot cleaner and had a little bit of fuel on it. Also the gaps all look the same apart from 2 which looks closer to 0.8-0.9mm rather than the 0.6 they were all set to. Stuck an Endoscope down the holes and from what I can see the cylinder walls and top of the pistons look ok. Any suggestions as to why there’s a difference in the plugs?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure if anyone’s still reading this but I did a compression test today. All cylinders reading between 170 and 175. Being a novice and not reading things properly I’ve only just realised I need to do this with the engine at running temp. How can I get it up to temp when it’s misfiring on cylinders 2 and 3? Surely running it for that long can’t do it any good? TIA

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE
So had a bit of a mess with the car. Worked out that it was cylinder 2 with the misfire rather than both. Swapped plugs and coil packs around which did nothing apart from prove that it was just cylinder 2 with the issue. From there I’ve took out the HPFP to check the cam bucket which has now been replaced as was looking quite worn and also removed the fuel rail and injectors, gave the injectors a clean up and tested them by attaching a wire to each end of a AAA battery then touching the wires onto the terminals on the injectors. They all made the right noises so I was a bit lost as to what the problem might be. To try to rule out a bad injector I’ve put everything back together but swapped the injectors around so 1 is in 2 and 4 is in 3 etc. Started the car and now it’s cylinder 1 with the misfire so I THINK/HOPE/PRAY I’m right and it’s just an injector.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
If the injector is leaking and wetting the plug then testing with a battery won’t achieve much as you really need to test it under pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
If it followed the injector which it did if cyl 2 code is now flagging as cyl 1 you hopefully have your answer. Trouble with leaky injectors is that the ECU will keep trying to adjust fuelling to make up for the dodgy injector and throw random codes to really confuse you more. Sounds like your now on the right track, at this point I’d swap out the injector if it were me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I had a bit of advice on that front, the guy I spoke to said that’s why I’m getting codes for 2 misfires instead of 1. Ive ordered a 2nd hand one off eBay, should be here tomorrow then if that cures it I might just buy a new set of 4 at the end of the month for peace of mind. From my own experience with injector SEALS on a diesel (different I know but it’s the only comparison I’ve got) once one goes the others tend to follow and I can’t be ***** replacing them all one by one with 2nd hand parts as the mileage history of eBay parts is sketchy at best.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts