Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, i was wandering if you guys could help me out. My girlfriends younger brother has passed his test 1st time on wednesday. Hes 18 and has started looking for insurance for his car,its only a 1 litre fiat but the insurance companies are asking absoloutly mental!!!!!! prices and he cant find anyone who will insure him for under £5000 seriosuly wtf! So was wandering if any of you have younger brothers who have passed recently and found an insurer who is good and cheap! PLEASE HELP :(
thanks sam

·
Registered
649 Posts
hi mate its a long shot you could try my insurance company,its a plan give them a call 01707 393936.i hope this helps.mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah we tried Ecar mate and they wanted £5000-7000 !!!! its only a fiat brava 1 litre thing lol but thanks for the suggestion mate, Ecar was the cheapest when my mrs passed her test too, but oh well

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i only paid 1500 2 years ago for my 1 litre corsa on third party f & t with ecar - insurance prices are a complete joke now

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
when i was 17 i bought a wee 95 clio and my dad was listed on the book as the owner i went on as second driver in the laws eyes it was his car i never modded it bar set of wheels, Its the only way round it sometimes as the price is just silly. yes you miss out building up no claims etc but really when it knock 4k of the price of insurance its a way round it mate.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
A was with elephant when I was 17 as a named driver, was technically my mams car and insurance policy but made it easily 3 grand cheaper ans still earned elephant no claims bonus which a was able to transfer to the ST when I was 18!

Generally having more experienced older people on the policy bring it down alot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
sounds like he's lucky it took him over a year to pass with those prices, being 17 would of been even worse. As said above a parent main driver makes a massive difference. Also may be better to go TPFT instead of fully comp. Reduced miles brings it down a bit, keep it overnight on the drive etc. Also a higher voluntary excess will reduce the cost. Has he already got points on his license or something?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope nothing at all he has a clean liscence hes just not taken his test untill now by choice. Yeah i thought about putting parents on to reduce it but.......... 1. hismum is disabled and so doesnt make a difference on his insurance and 2. his dad has a company van and so has commercial insurance and doesnt count on his insurance as its like having two new dirvers on a policy lol, insurance companies are bloody madness!! lol. We were going to put a parent down as the main driver and him as a named driver but, only on the radio literally last friday they were on about this and insurance and im pretty sure its technically 'illegal' now as your lying to the insurance company as he is not the main driver. Think the police are really clamping down on this now. Anyone else heard of this last week? but thanks very much for all your suggestions guys

·
Registered
165 Posts
yeah its called fronting. It has always been illegal because its technically insurance fraud. However proving it is very hard. Just make sure the parent drives it now and again. In this situation, his dad only having a van and not a car is the perfect situation because its expected for him to want to drive a car and not a van all the time. I got my
when i was 18 and insurance wasn't that steep. Just throw all the info into confused.com with a high excess, low mileage and everything else I said above and I cant imagine it being much more than £2k

1 - 11 of 11 Posts