Fiesta ST Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
It's currently on Newman PH2s, but I have some race spec Pipers already on the shelf ready for the next rebuild.
These NM PH2 are going on Ebay - But top right looks a bit pitted, maybe the previous owner didn't get some new followers and shim correctly.

Are these just scrap?

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
That's the exahust cam. Hard to say.. could just be residual oil, or some light rust that would clean off with a bit of emery cloth. Would need some better pictures.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
That's the exahust cam. Hard to say.. could just be residual oil, or some light rust that would clean off with a bit of emery cloth. Would need some better pictures.
Every true, could be okay and nothing to it - or makes the the tiny difference which is not good on cams.

They only have one picture, maybe sus to hiding something else - I just went with some PS Cossie 200 spec one - Just a simple road cam.

@Vulpes

If I am, just ask regarding the layout of your Catch Can - 2/3 port - Just PCV to Mani - Just a hose and a clip no special AN connectors etc?

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Every true, could be okay and nothing to it - or makes the the tiny difference which is not good on cams.

They only have one picture, maybe sus to hiding something else - I just went with some PS Cossie 200 spec one - Just a simple road cam.

@Vulpes

If I am, just ask regarding the layout of your Catch Can - 2/3 port - Just PCV to Mani - Just a hose and a clip no special AN connectors etc?
It's very straight forward.

2 port, with an air vent. 1 Port from the Cam Cover, 2nd Port from the engine breather on the front of the block (Orange PCV Valve - with the internals removed). All with regular jubilee clips.

I used something like this, and then modified it to accept an air valve... but you can buy them ready assembled.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
mmmmmm.. interesting!

1 Litre Tank - haha - I'm thinking 300ml - but depends what you do, there is like so many ways.

Air value is interesting and not just a hole for a little breather.

So;
I was thinking as said before I was thinking;
PCV > Closed 2 port catch can > Mani - Thus gases will go back in and under vaccum, but most/some film matter will stay present in the can.

But could plug the inlet - Have CCV/PCV > Catch can but vented to Atmosphere via breather filter, but as the recycling of gases is more enviroment friendly but track car - it doesn't matter! - Just want it to be okay for MOT and Police compliant.

So maybe, 3 port might be okay, PCV/CCV > Catch Can > Inlet. With this all the postive air flow and vaccum etc.. will it work is a ? in it's self, and I see the US Duratec focus owners says about drilling/cut the valve for a Catch Can set up- I plugged my K&N and put a keg on it for Heat/water proofing, don't know what I did with the CCV hose and adapter for the K&N.

Therefore...

Will have to think something.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
The 3 port airtec runs from the pcv, ccv to the inlet. You shouldn’t need to gut the pcv valve this way as it would be under vacuum under load. Would need to be a closed system.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
The 3 port airtec runs from the pcv, ccv to the inlet. You shouldn’t need to gut the pcv valve this way as it would be under vacuum under load. Would need to be a closed system.
Thanks for the reply, I didn't see the reply and nor the Oil catch tank from Airtec.

After some thinking. I got a Mishimoto 2 Port can they are like £165 on their site (WTF) Amazon had an used one for £50 (Hopefully it is clean) It has as 1/2 barb fittings which are no good - The now redundant Roosemotor PCV hose is now going back, was 15ID 25OD looked like it would last forever (As the PCV on some focus/mondeo has a smaller PCV end ours is bigger they said 3/8 but looks like 5/8). So had to get some brass 5/8 m16x1.5 barb connectors for the can with some Viton O rings 16ID 2mm and some PTFE tape to get a nice seal, Just went for mild steel zinc plated worm clips and a fuel hose at 1M long, looking to attach to the battery tray.

Looking at the Inlet - Looks like it has the 5/8 fitting underneath it because maybe smog testing in the USA are if driving on the road in the UK, but as many Caterham are dry slumps they blank off the PCV and run the CCV to a catch tank and vent to atmos as most arenfor the track only.

Will leave the 62-1600RD K&N Vent Air Breather on the CCV for now, until a later date.

_

Therefore, on this epic install of a Plenum/Inlet

Things to be thinking about now, after the great insight of @Vulpes and @###simon###

Probs be easier to have to take front and slam panel off, and will need lots of cable ties for this clean install.

Got some new gaskets - Ford 1 for £15 - Victor Reinz 4 for £11

TMap sensor (Will give a clean) the loom could be a headache, may need to get wires and heat shrink wrap/ solder them- As I don't know how much I can pull it out of it's trunking to reroute.

Hoping the vacuum lines just pop on, maybe need to worm clip them down.

Will route the catch can up, take off the PCV plate and give it a clean.

Clean the fuel injectors, will be good to see how my valves are, would be nice to clean and port and polish the intakes but I doubt that a good idea If i don't know what I am fully doing.

I see the bolt pattern on the inlet to the block is some what different from the standard manifold, but I don't know if the unused hole are tapped on the engine to be able to fix it fully flush (I think I may be okay) then if the bolts that come out (7 - All M8 x 40MM I believe.) will go back in and not protrude.

Will how to find out how the bonnet latch goes as I think the problem that you can close it - As there is no retro fit from another model, as it's just a case of the size the plastic bit, but maybe tap a hole and rebolt it. Will see when I get there.

Might be to cut the elbow on the short ram intake to get the filter in depending on angles and size.

Got the foglight duct from @Rspengineering, thinking a 50cm ducting pipe will be enough to route it to the area for a colder flow.

Will need to tidy up the hose,pipes, and other things which connect to the normal mani.

Then hopefully, starts first time - cleaning the TMAP will probs make it a bit harder to starter.

The idle for a bit and then road test, the inspect after to see if all is good!

Looking for mainly a nice induction sound, hopefully does give some gains - Meant to give 6hp over the Caterham Alloy plenum so what it does to a ST150, hasn't been shared as of yet - Would love a custom remap, after some cams are fitted but Don't fancy £450+ when it might just run really good.

Have to do list, sort out a power drain issue causing the battery to go flat if not used for 4days, Install Cosworth Cams (200 Spec), Front 15mm Spacers, ST180 wheels with rimblades, paint brakes carrier and install ST 170 rear brakes, sort out pedals, get a ST170 space saver, add some lightbrows, install Hella horns, new badges and license plate, CP RMM, fully polybush, gear linkage (Sometimes sticking from 2 to 3) front trc and some diff fins to put on, aerial delete bung, new key, then need to sort out some bodywork with some repairs then, decon, polish and ceramic coat in/out then add some decals.

Then I am done on the build and get to enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I had to get some different sized bolts for the manifold as the stock ones don't fit. I'll see if I can dig out the spec of the ones I have.

Edit, I used M8x30mm from Kay's fasteners on eBay (YMMV)

"FLANGED HEXAGON BOLTS METRIC HIGH TENSILE GRADE 10.9 SCREWS"

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive exterior
Looks like it comes out futher, so shorten it and maybe lower it and the bar behind make flat and drill a new hole.

In theory; should work.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I had to get some different sized bolts for the manifold as the stock ones don't fit. I'll see if I can dig out the spec of the ones I have.

Edit, I used M8x30mm from Kay's fasteners on eBay (YMMV)

"FLANGED HEXAGON BOLTS METRIC HIGH TENSILE GRADE 10.9 SCREWS"
Morning @Vulpes

Thank for checking!

Kay's are good! Will have to get some later, how many did you manage to bolt back in.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
So everything order, Thanks @Vulpes / @###simon###

Spoke to the guy who I got the inlet off, he gave me a run down as well! He had it on a D2.3 reving @9k

Just waiting on the last things to come then be shortly able to fit it.

Understanding a lot more from reading the Fusion Fab and Cosworth inlet builds, as Mountune only installed it at their HQ and no one has don't an uninstall on it.

So for the lines, Brake Boost and Fuel Pressure can be plug straight in the idle throtte can be blanked off.

PCV will go via catch can, will put a new value in for the sake of it. CCV can breathe, unless I Y connect it into the can for MOT etc..

Going to tap the block, and get the new bolts in.

Got a Ram air filter (For free!!) as the K&N is not fit for purpose as the Surface Area of Filter SQ/MM is only 40k odd and I need about 60/70k as the RAMair is 100k+ - Will have to cut up a nice silicone hose to get the best fitment from the TB and run the CAF in the area, going to wrap the upper hose in a heat sleeve (Loosely) to try and get air intake temps down.

Got some Cossie 200 Spec Cams to put in there.

Then probs need to get it custom remapped, to make sure the AFR is on point and can gain some power correctly.

Which can/will cost £350/£450 - But will see how it runs; at first to see dead spots, dips.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Mine runs great on a off the shelf hyper r map, there must be enough in the fueling to let it learn a bit. You’ll run in to issues if you t off for the ccv, standard & K&N it’s in the air box or the inlet before the throttle body. I would just stick a filter on it and forget about it.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Mine runs great on a off the shelf hyper r map, there must be enough in the fueling to let it learn a bit. You’ll run in to issues if you t off for the ccv, standard & K&N it’s in the air box or the inlet before the throttle body. I would just stick a filter on it and forget about it.
This is the before shot!

@###simon### spoke with dreamscience, they said the best route would be custom as per mods as an off the shelf map would not be the best option and it's a bit far away from Essex. Tried to speak with AMDtuning local, awaiting a response. Possible to go jamsport, as closer but no reached out to them as of yet.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I was also on Hyper-R and did extensive AFR logging with a wideband.

It was spot on. Not saying it couldn't be improved, but it was far from dangerous.

Which ram air filter are you using?

In terms of the brake booster, you need to repurpose the original valve that connects to the servo. Just run a sharp knife down the nylon hose and it'll come free. @Djgalloway

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I was also on Hyper-R and did extensive AFR logging with a wideband.

It was spot on. Not saying it couldn't be improved, but it was far from dangerous.

Which ram air filter are you using?

In terms of the brake booster, you need to repurpose the original valve that connects to the servo. Just run a sharp knife down the nylon hose and it'll come free. @Djgalloway
Morning,

I did see, a dreamscience unit for £130 on ebay, then £250 for a reset without any discounts added.

Ramair; Went with the CC-501-70, hope that will be a good fit - The one giving to me, unsure of size dimensions, but have two to pick from, rather the new one was fitted.

Will have to get some cable ties and some more worm clips so that everything to fitted correctly and tight.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Morning,

I did see, a dreamscience unit for £130 on ebay, then £250 for a reset without any discounts added.

Ramair; Went with the CC-501-70, hope that will be a good fit - The one giving to me, unsure of size dimensions, but have two to pick from, rather the new one was fitted.

Will have to get some cable ties and some more worm clips so that everything to fitted correctly and tight.
Dreamscience usually have money off deals around black Friday etc (not that I agree with it in the UK, but whatever)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts