Fiesta ST Forums banner
241 - 260 of 299 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,182 Posts
I've almost always been able to remove stuff with a combination of impact driver, wd40 and strategic brute force. Usually only goes wrong when I end up tightening by mistake and that's when I shear stuff (rear hub bolts as an example 🤦)

There's a flat on the back of the drop links although it's not very prominent but I've used it in emergencies when the allen key method didn't work. Did you remember that you 'tighten' the Allen key to loosen it?

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Not much help but I remember mine needing an awful lot of persuasion to separate the shock from the hub. Have you got the use of a torch to heat up the offending bolts?
Hi Simon,
No, will have to get a blow torch tommorrow. But tbh I can't see the pinch bolt coming out without a fight :(
As I pressed post, I realised I will probably need new track rod ends
At least once its all done it will all be brand new

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
I've almost always been able to remove stuff with a combination of impact driver, wd40 and strategic brute force. Usually only goes wrong when I end up tightening by mistake and that's when I shear stuff (rear hub bolts as an example 🤦)

There's a flat on the back of the drop links although it's not very prominent but I've used it in emergencies when the allen key method didn't work. Did you remember that you 'tighten' the Allen key to loosen it?
Hi JImmy,
THx,
I managed to get the drop links to start undoing, then the allen key gave out and started spinning.
I couldn't see any flats and the baby mole grips spun as well.
I'll have another look for flats,
Cheers

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Hi All,

AS I'm fed up & knackered, thought I'd see what my new wheels looked like on.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

LIke them from this angle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

But from here they are too wide. oh well.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Hi All,
Well firstly many thx to simon, jimmy & blk-yell (who phoned me last night)

Made some good progress this morning

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Working animal Fender

Managed to free the suspension leg from the hub, then undid the tophat nuts which gave better access to get to the tie rod ends and disconnect from a/r bar. )tbh without knowing about the flats on the tie rod ends I'd have never got them off. God knows what torque Ford did them up to ???

Anyway, with the leg seperated, I managed to get the tie rod off the leg, salvaging the abs sensor bracket and allowing me to size the adjustable tie bars.

Wood Tool Metal Hardwood Steel

So, thats the O/S sorted. I was just about to start removing the n/s hub ( as the pinch bolt is properly siezed) when the rain came down

Must be beer o'clock 😄

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Hi All,

Well the rain stopped :)

The n/s pinchbolt refused to come out, so off came the hub

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fender Bumper Automotive exterior

n/s tie rod is completely siezed, but @ least I can get an angle grinder in there now.

pinch bolt is in a really bad way, hope I can get out on the bench, if not new hub 😢

Wood Bicycle part Natural material Plant Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Well,

My neighbour turned up with a blow lamp, so we heated the hub (where the threads are) hammered a crappy 14mm socket onto the 15mm bolt head, and with the aid of a 3ft 1/2 prybar - heypresto. 😄

As you can see the hub is propper rotten, so before it goes back I'll clean up and hammerite so it looks pretty.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Engineering Gas

While the cars off trhe road I'll do the other hub and put together with focus carriers & discs

Hoping the back shocks are more straitfoward :oops:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
Hi All,

Had an enforced "easier day" today as after being under the car yesterday I could hardly move this morning ( maybe I need to take up yoga or pilates :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )

Anyway, cleaned up the n/s hub and painted

Wood Sculpture Art Creative arts Metal

After I took this I realised the bits I've missed, ( must get a better light in the kitchen ).

I also realised the sensible thing would have been to loosen the o/s hub nut before removing the n/s hub, as I've got no brakes now. Maybe a bit of wood in the n/s caliper will surfice.

Anyway, ordered the bits I need for overhaul: Top hub ss allen pinch bolts, Lower hub ss allen pinch bolts, ST170 carrier bolts. I know the purists may not approve of fitting allen bolts, but after all the fun and games of unsiezing the original OEM bolts I want them to come apart if required in future.

Nothing will arrive before saturday, so that gives me time to clean up and paint the ST calliper carriers and discs.

Thanks for all your ongoing advice (y)

·
Premium Member
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
353 Posts
What have you done!? I'm only joking... Good learning curve.
One thing I will say is. If you're lowered, those adjustable droplinks look took long on their shortest setting.
When it's all back together with the droplinks and front wheels off.
Jack under both hubs until the suspension stops compressing and the body just starts to raise. That is the correct length your droplinks need to be. Otherwise your front arb is under constant compression when the car is sat on the floor.

Also. Stainless steel has a much lower yeild rating than the bolts you removed. All bolts that have a torque setting 8nm or above are 8.8 high tensile steel . With some suspension bolts being 10.8 high tensile steel.

Its worth having a look at the head of the bolt you removed for the markings.

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,182 Posts
I was thinking the same about the length, they're about the same length as standard. Is this part like a removable spacer as it looks like a seperate piece?
Wood Tool Bicycle part Hardwood Wood stain

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
That's a very good point @_jimmy_, would be pretty neat if it was a removable spacer.

Slightly off topic, I found the chart regarding stainless vs high tensile steel

Font Material property Rectangle Number Screenshot

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
What have you done!? I'm only joking... Good learning curve.
One thing I will say is. If you're lowered, those adjustable droplinks look took long on their shortest setting.
When it's all back together with the droplinks and front wheels off.
Jack under both hubs until the suspension stops compressing and the body just starts to raise. That is the correct length your droplinks need to be. Otherwise your front arb is under constant compression when the car is sat on the floor.

Also. Stainless steel has a much lower yeild rating than the bolts you removed. All bolts that have a torque setting 8nm or above are 8.8 high tensile steel . With some suspension bolts being 10.8 high tensile steel.

Its worth having a look at the head of the bolt you removed for the markings.
Thx Marv,

The drop links came with three tubes, I made these up as standard length ( goog point about the lowering)

The bottom link is the medium length tube so hopefully will be ok. If not I'll have to use the short tube :)

Plumbing fixture Table Tool Gas Bicycle part

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Hi All,

Not had a chance to progress much this week (work & weather :(), but ordered bolts & stuff which arrived yesterday.

Dry build after drilling out caliper mounting bolts.

Carrier bolts & bottom ball joint bolts are OEM.

Only thing left is to cut ABS sensor bolt down to length and can go back together, then strip other side.

THank God for "spare" car :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wood Tool Bicycle part Bumper Crankset

As always, thx for everyones help & input (y)

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
Hi All,

Propper frustrating day, first day off in ages and the heavens open 😢 😢 😢

Had planned on refbuilding n/s hub strut on car today, but my days of working on cars in the rain are long gone.

So as to not waste the whole day, cleaned up discs and painted area brake pad won't clean up. ( pet hate looking through clean wheels to see a rusty ring where the disc meets the wheel)

Will do the outer edge tommorrow when these bits are dry. ( hopefully the end result will be worth the hastle )

Wood Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Gas

On a seperate, but connected note: I tried to fit the strut to the hub yesterday (off the car) NOT A CHANCE!!!!, Strut will not go in even with taps from mallet. Is this normal ?

The video on utube shows a jack under the hub. But they havn't got the hub off the car !!

THx

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Thx Marv,

The drop links came with three tubes, I made these up as standard length ( goog point about the lowering)

The bottom link is the medium length tube so hopefully will be ok. If not I'll have to use the short tube :)

View attachment 585270
You should be fine if you have different length tubes. May as well set them up correctly to your lowered position. Otherwise there no point in having adjustable droplinks.
What droplinks are they out of interest?

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Hi All,

Propper frustrating day, first day off in ages and the heavens open 😢 😢 😢

Had planned on refbuilding n/s hub strut on car today, but my days of working on cars in the rain are long gone.

So as to not waste the whole day, cleaned up discs and painted area brake pad won't clean up. ( pet hate looking through clean wheels to see a rusty ring where the disc meets the wheel)

Will do the outer edge tommorrow when these bits are dry. ( hopefully the end result will be worth the hastle )

View attachment 585279

On a seperate, but connected note: I tried to fit the strut to the hub yesterday (off the car) NOT A CHANCE!!!!, Strut will not go in even with taps from mallet. Is this normal ?

The video on utube shows a jack under the hub. But they havn't got the hub off the car !!

THx
I spread the two half’s with a wedge screwdriver when I done mine, didn’t move much dut it made all the differenc.

241 - 260 of 299 Posts