Fiesta ST Forums banner
541 - 560 of 576 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #541 ·
its in the model number, 1202D dual 2 ohm so you'll want an amp that outputs at 4ohm if you wire in series or 1ohm if its wired in parallel

edit: and while you have the front end apart, take the opportunity to upgrade the battery to chassis cable. a good quality 4awg copper cable (y)
Hi AE3,
Bit confused, I know what series and parrallel are, but not in this context.
So if I just took two wires from the amp straight to the speaker , as it was connected, - Im assuming this is series
And if I then linked across to the other connectors so all 4 were connected thats parrallel,
Is that right ?
THx.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #542 ·
Well.
It transpires it wasn't an aircon pipe but the PAS pipe that I hadn't connected.
Glad in a way as I've noticed some wiring loom locating plugs which I got wrong
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Spaghetti don't come close :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
Hi All,

A friend dropped an Amp off to me last night, I've no idea if its any good, or suitable for my instalation:

Bumper Automotive exterior Gadget Font Computer keyboard

Electronic instrument Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Wood Audio equipment

Hood Airplane Electronic instrument Aviation Engineering

Been on their website and spec is:
  • Directed Electronics A1004
  • High speed MOSFET switching power supply
  • RMS Power Output:
    • 90W x 4 chan. @ 4 Ohms
    • 125W x 4 chan. @ 2 Ohms
  • Complimentary bipolar outputs
  • Thermal, DC offset, reverse polarity and short circuit protection
  • Built-in blue LED top panel illumination
  • External LED/Fan power jack
  • Built-in high performance, 12 dB/octave 2-way active crossovers
  • Switchable 8 dB bass EQ function
  • Remote subwoofer level control function
  • 2 or 4 channel input capability
None of this means anything to me, he did also mention a "cross over" but again, he may have well been speaking chinese :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #544 ·
Hi All,
OK been reading loads on car audio and amps today
bought some stuff
Power CAble
Automotive tire Light Product Sleeve Font

Speaker Wire

Grille Rectangle Wood Textile Tableware

RCA connectors

Font Cable Circuit component Wire Electronic device

Braided Insulation

Rectangle Automotive tire Tool Font Auto part

Sound deadening

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Table

Gonna chop both the front speaker wires before they go into the front doors, extend wiring to boot, fit rca connectors then fit to amp.
Output will run speaker wires back to front, and attach to original wiring entering front doors
Front tweeters will be splicd into these wires.
Repeat for rear speakers, run to boot, fit RCA adapters and then run back and attach to original wiring
Sub will run straight off amp.

Plan on sound deadening front doors and area round rear speakers

Hopefully it will work and sound ok.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #546 ·
Hi All,

Started stripping down the sub box

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Table

Dont think its that clear from the picture, but the bit I need to remove is from the pencil down to the bottom edge.
The width is fine, so I'll turn it into a box with parrallel front and back edges, hopefully putting the volume back to where it started.
THe the amp will mount properly on top.
AS I'm going to have this permenantly mounted I want to try and fit a power outlet in the rear ( for hoovering etc etc )
Automotive lighting Drinkware Road surface Motor vehicle Bottle cap

Bought a power isolating switch to isolate the amp, this might be overkill, but I would like a quick way of isolating the amp if anything went pear shape

Camera accessory Gadget Audio equipment Font Electronic device

Not 100% decided, but I'm thinking may mount behind the glovebox as its not going to be needed every day ( suggestions please )

Oh, lastly, I really wanted to wrap the sub in vynal, ( like cheep sofas are covered with, as its easily cleanable ) but am having real trouble finding it. Anybody got and links ?

Thx

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #547 ·
Hi All,

Well, I've cut the hell out of the old sub box and screwed a plate on to mount the amp and the RCA convertors

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle Wheel

It now fits the boot where I want it so can use it to get the measurements to get it to fit really nice.
I have a feeling this box will be sacrificed, but its not exactly hard to make ( he says :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
Hi All,

Spent most of today hunting ebay for the little bits I need to sort this audio upgrade

Firewall grommet - I know you can just poke a hole in the grommet that already goes through the firewall, but I want this to look good so would like to use the right thing:

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Font Camera lens Automotive tire

Although I want this sub box / amp to be a permenant fixture, I may need to remove them so want a safe way of removing without leaving live wires in the boot, this will isolate live, ground & trigger wire

Circuit component Usb cable Data transfer cable Cable Font

I'm going to mount the RCA convertors on top of the sub box, so again want some way of removing the box

Product Automotive lighting Toy Font Rectangle

Been experimenting with terminal posts as I want all the connections to be secure.
These are going to be enclosed under perspex, maybe with some LEDs to match the amp.
Just realised I'm going to have to do the same for the trigger wire as well

Tap Musical instrument Countertop Cabinetry Folk instrument

Would there be a problem connecting the power outlet socket between the trigger wire terminal and ground ?

The trigger wire is being taken from the old cigarette lighter connection so will be a switched live, I don't know if this would cause any interference

I was going to fuse the power outlet locally, even though the cigarette lighter is fused at the fuse box.

Many thx

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #553 ·
Hi All,

Bit more mocking up the sub box today,

Motor vehicle Hood Green Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Had a re think on the terminal posts, and they will now be mounted under the small white cover at the rear of the box so should look cleaner when wrapped and reduce risk of anything sorting out.
Attempt to fit speaker grille is turning into a nightmare, clamps supplied are crap and if used will allow grille to vibrate against speaker, so I'm going to make up some steel lugs the same shape and rivit to grille hopefully being more sturdy they should stop the grille vibrating ( we'll see :ROFLMAO: )

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #554 ·
Hi All,
Not had a chance to do much this week as crazy busy with work.
Last few bits arrived for sub box/amp install - Vibe fast plug & new "new" A pillar covers
Ordered some 8awg cable for boot earth as one that came with amp kit was too short, but new cable has core measuring approx 4mm dia and kit cable core is approx 1mm dia

Wood Tints and shades Soil Blade Office supplies

Black new, red came with kit.
Which is the correct one ?
The kit was advertised as using 8 gauge cable so I dont understand why there is such a difference ?
THx

·
Registered
512 Posts
8awg is 3.26mm dia (bare metal), so that is what you've bought.
Those don't look too different in the photo (certainly not 4:1) so I'm assuming it's just the perspective.
If the cable supplied is only around 1mm dia, that's nearer 18awg.
Having said that, if it's an earth cable then you're better off with the thicker one, provided it fits the terminals ok, has the flexibility you need - in other words, the physical characteristics.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #556 ·
8awg is 3.26mm dia (bare metal), so that is what you've bought.
Those don't look too different in the photo (certainly not 4:1) so I'm assuming it's just the perspective.
If the cable supplied is only around 1mm dia, that's nearer 18awg.
Having said that, if it's an earth cable then you're better off with the thicker one, provided it fits the terminals ok, has the flexibility you need - in other words, the physical characteristics.
Hi Mark
Thx for your help, I was really tired when I posted last night .
The picture isn't great, but there is a big difference in the size of the cores.
I bought the red cable in an amp kit, which was advertised as 8 GA, I assumed this stood for 8 gauge.
Automotive tire Light Product Sleeve Font

The black was bought seperatly and adviertised as 8 gauge
Line Font Cable Auto part Wire

I've bought 10m of the red 8 gauge from the same company that supplied the black, which I'm hoping will be enough.
cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #557 ·
Hi All,

well I was all set to go to work today, then the other half tested positive, so I took a test - Me too.
so its goodbye to the overtime and no excuse not to work on the car

Destroyed the old sub box and rebuilt:

Wood Audio equipment Gas Motor vehicle Plywood

resessed the sub back into the box so the grille fits, hopefully no rattles

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #558 ·
Hi All,

Loads of bits arrived today ( Red 8 gauge power wire, speaker connectors, fire wall grommets, and sub speaker wire )

Finished off the sub box and made sub and power looms

Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

I need a new soldering iron, this one is propper crap

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #559 ·
Hi All,

Had a rethink about the power outlet, it might be useful.

Wood Automotive lighting Bumper Trunk Motor vehicle

The two studs on the side of the box should allow me to transer power for the aux socket inside the box.

Hole cutter for tweeters arrived

Carbon Audio equipment Rim Font Gadget

Waiting for second set of tweeters to arrive, then can bond both the casings into the A piller covers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #560 ·
Hi All

Got the right hump now, as the second set of tweeters arrived today, and they are a different size

too big big mount up top so thought down low would be ok

Wood String instrument Bicycle part Kitchen utensil Musical instrument accessory

gotta order hole cutter now

541 - 560 of 576 Posts