Fiesta ST Forums banner
41 - 60 of 299 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,182 Posts
In my opinion its definitely worth fitting the cold air feeds yes, everything to help get cold air into the heat soaked engine bay.

Yes the calipers are single piston. They're up to the job though based on my experience of track days I can catch a lot of other faster cars on the brakes. Still room for improvement though no doubt.

I've heard the pressure given on the aircon is wrong and needs to be higher to work at it's best, not sure exactly, but I doubt most garages would be willing pressurise it more than the rating anyway. Mine works ok to take the edge off the temp and humidity but it's not like a fridge like my Focus RS was.

Good point on the space saver + donut not being much different to a standard wheel width! Never thought of that tbh

There is a decent online manual somewhere that I can't find at the moment so here's the pdf, just bear in mind it's South African and pre facelift but 99% of stuff is covered
mk6 ST manual

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hi All,

Well, got round to fitting the rest of the interior last night
In my opinion its definitely worth fitting the cold air feeds yes, everything to help get cold air into the heat soaked engine bay.

Yes the calipers are single piston. They're up to the job though based on my experience of track days I can catch a lot of other faster cars on the brakes. Still room for improvement though no doubt.

I've heard the pressure given on the aircon is wrong and needs to be higher to work at it's best, not sure exactly, but I doubt most garages would be willing pressurise it more than the rating anyway. Mine works ok to take the edge off the temp and humidity but it's not like a fridge like my Focus RS was.

Good point on the space saver + donut not being much different to a standard wheel width! Never thought of that tbh

There is a decent online manual somewhere that I can't find at the moment so here's the pdf, just bear in mind it's South African and pre facelift but 99% of stuff is covered
mk6 ST manual
Hi JImmy,
Thx, I'll have a play with the cold air feed at the weekend.
Yeah, I've dismissed the full blown brake upgrade for the moment, TOO MUCH CASH , got a few goodies
Dead bolt Wood Gas Door handle Household hardware

Font Musical instrument Multimedia Gadget Cable

Font Circle Fashion accessory Metal Auto part

My rear discs are propper scored ( so discs and pads ), I've seen quite a few posts mentioning siezed slider bolts so for what they cost no big deal. And, I like braided hoses on bikes ( they really improve so thought why not )

I'll be cleaning up and painting the calipers ( nothing mad mayby silver or black ) Is there any real difference between what they sell as caliper paint and hammerite ?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
KInd of messed the last post up.
Full interior fitted ( I know its not detailed (yet) lol
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Vehicle

quite pleased with it but need to change the centre seat belt with the one from the half leather seats as the orange button is much more faded on this set.

After getting fed up with the wrong foglight surrounds being delivered, I ordered from Ford ( get tommorrow hopefully)

Ordered some bonnet stays ( cause I'm lazy and putting that bar into the bonnet is far too much effort - lol )

Thx

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,182 Posts
Yes, bonnet gas struts are a must, so much easier, every car should have them.
Braided lines are a good mod too. I was a bit uneasy about messing with them at first, because brake lines are sort of slightly important, but they've been on years and very worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yes, bonnet gas struts are a must, so much easier, every car should have them.
Braided lines are a good mod too. I was a bit uneasy about messing with them at first, because brake lines are sort of slightly important, but they've been on years and very worthwhile.
Hi JImmy,

Yeah, as you all can probably tell, I've been muckin about with high performance bike for 30 or so years and first thing I change is to braided hoses, after 15 years standard hoses ( wont leak) but will swell and this causes big braking effect.

Braided hoses are sweet.

Oh, I meant to ask yesterday does anyone know what dot the ST uses ? I;m guessing 4

And,

I bought :
Tire Product Human body Automotive tire Eyewear

Window thingys.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

mk6 ST manual
cant get this link 2 work. doh

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hi, Again,

I'm looking at this car as a long term keeper and have been looking at Powerlex stuff, they do 2 types of lower wishbone bushes
Product Purple Automotive tire Violet Font

1 has offset camber and 1 dosn't - there is a big price difference between the two. I'm thinking of coil overs in future and am looking at these

I'm a complete novice when it comes to car supension set up. Can anyone explain.

THx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,182 Posts
I had a request for you to download the file for the manual but I've got no idea how to give access, damn.

I'd guess the difference in price of the power flex is because the cambered ones already come installed in a bespoke aluminium rear mount whereas the others (what I have) are just a rubber bush that you have to press into the original aluminium mount.

Those top mounts with camber and caster adjustment and spherical bearing that you linked I'm guessing they're from compbrake, I actually bought a set ages ago but never fitted them. I think they need another top hat machining up to fit onto the standard type spring/damper assembly and probably do away with the plastic steering bearing I assume. If you're interested in going that route you can have mine for a small fee as I doubt I'll ever fit them at this point. The only person I know of using then was a guy on here in Croatia? with a 4wd turbo build.
Arguably easier to get some coilovers with a camber plate built in such as BC Racing.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I had a request for you to download the file for the manual but I've got no idea how to give access, damn.
Ha Ha - Good, I thought it was me lol :)

I'd guess the difference in price of the power flex is because the cambered ones already come installed in a bespoke aluminium rear mount whereas the others (what I have) are just a rubber bush that you have to press into the original aluminium mount.
So, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of going with the camber offset ones (apart from price), how would they effect the handling of the car ?

Those top mounts with camber and caster adjustment and spherical bearing that you linked I'm guessing they're from compbrake, I actually bought a set ages ago but never fitted them. I think they need another top hat machining up to fit onto the standard type spring/damper assembly and probably do away with the plastic steering bearing I assume. If you're interested in going that route you can have mine for a small fee as I doubt I'll ever fit them at this point. The only person I know of using then was a guy on here in Croatia? with a 4wd turbo build.
Arguably easier to get some coilovers with a camber plate built in such as BC Racing.
They are compbrake, they show this diagram
Joint Human body Font Line Elbow

I admit I'm a total novice regarding car supension, I think I understand tow in/out ( The relationship between the fronts of both tyres to each other ), and camber ( The relationship between the tops of both tyres to each other ) but have no idea what a change to each would actually achieve to the handling of the car.

I have no idea what caster is

On bikes I'm used to preload ( as name suggests the amount the sping is pre loaded ) compression damping ( the speed at which the spring dives ) and rebound damping ( the speed at which the spring returns to its pre loaded length ), but car shocks don't seam to have this adjustability ( or do they )

What are these top mounts suposed to achieve ?
( sorry thats a load of quesions ) is there a guide to car supension somewhere ? THx ( and oh yeah, if I do go down this route it would make sense to buy your bits, if your not going to use them

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Hi,
After getting the wrong grills delivered yesterday, I picked up ones from Ford this afternoon, they wern't cheep but I'm plesed with the look. I can't understand how hey wanted £17 +vat each for the screws that hold them in, what is so special about them? Anyway, 2 self tappers later
Car Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Should get my wheels back from the refubers ( is that a real word ) later this week.
Been getting some big differences in prices quoted for wheel alignment ( between £45 & 90, what would you reccommend I ask for when getting the alignment done as I've just spent nearly a grand on wheels & tyres I want to get maximumn life out of them )

THx

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,182 Posts
Yeah that diagram makes sense, they don't supply the top cap though but said they could machine one if they had the relevant dimensions. Maybe they're overkill. They allow you adjust both camber and caster. Castor is basically like camber but in the other plane so it's like how inclined fwd/back the strut is to the vertical and affects the steering feel/stability and the self returning tendency that you feel through the wheel. The analogy for a bike is the rake of the forks. People don't usually adjust caster though, its usually just camber. Negative camber helps with how the tyre of the outside wheel contacts the ground for better grip during hard cornering. The cheaper car shocks usually adjust one aspect of damping (I think its rebound but I'm not actually sure), the very high end ones such as the ones with a remote oil reservoir might allow for both but again I'm not completely sure. Preload is usually just used in the sense of setting the ride height for aesthetics, or for corner weighting. I don't think it really affects the spring rate much does it? (The spring rate is theoretically supposed to be fairly linear so preload shouldn't change it?)

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Yeah that diagram makes sense, they don't supply the top cap though but said they could machine one if they had the relevant dimensions. Maybe they're overkill. They allow you adjust both camber and caster. Castor is basically like camber but in the other plane so it's like how inclined fwd/back the strut is to the vertical and affects the steering feel/stability and the self returning tendency that you feel through the wheel. The analogy for a bike is the rake of the forks. People don't usually adjust caster though, its usually just camber. Negative camber helps with how the tyre of the outside wheel contacts the ground for better grip during hard cornering. The cheaper car shocks usually adjust one aspect of damping (I think its rebound but I'm not actually sure), the very high end ones such as the ones with a remote oil reservoir might allow for both but again I'm not completely sure. Preload is usually just used in the sense of setting the ride height for aesthetics, or for corner weighting. I don't think it really affects the spring rate much does it? (The spring rate is theoretically supposed to be fairly linear so preload shouldn't change it?)
AW, its getting very technical now, lol, mate, i've had to read your reply 5 times now and i think im getting it.
So, Idiots reply, so, caster, the greater the degree the shock is from the horizontal the slower the stearing, suspension is without doubt a very dark art
I am thinking I might go with the offset camber wishbone bushes at some point, thanks for taking the time to explain.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hi,

Has anyone fitted one of these ? I'm guessing yes, they are suposed to reduce the travel when changing gear, are they fitted up top or underneath ( as I dont have a ramp )

Audio equipment Camera accessory Font Auto part Cable

THx

·
Premium Member
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
2,182 Posts
Underneath but quite easy to access, don't need a ramp just a jack and axle stand under the passenger side. It's accessed behind a clip-on cover on the front of the gearbox, and the selector cables to undo by hand.

This shows the general process

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Underneath but quite easy to access, don't need a ramp just a jack and axle stand under the passenger side. It's accessed behind a clip-on cover on the front of the gearbox, and the selector cables to undo by hand.

This shows the general process
Hi Jimmy, Thx for that, I watched it on a TV with no sound and the subtittles are lets say vague.... I'm not going mad to rush out and buy one atm, maybe in the future.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hi All,
Well Mr postman bought me some bits today, heko wind deglectors and bonnet strut kit. All fitted, plus I picked up reconditioned wheels ( so goodbye HORRIBLE peugeot lend wheels ) now I can go over 50 again without my fillings falling out.
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Tire

Really pleased with the wheels :)
Not sure if I mentioned, the front of the aircon recirc button fell off yesterday, Ford only wanted £550 +vat ( nah ) so ebayed it and am now the proud owner of this (for £11.49 delivered )
Motor vehicle Vehicle Audio equipment Gas Electronic device

Just have to work out how the old one comes out now !!!!!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone fitted one of these ? I'm guessing yes, they are suposed to reduce the travel when changing gear, are they fitted up top or underneath ( as I dont have a ramp )

View attachment 583095

THx
To be honest it was such a great part in the way the car would drive with the quicker throw. I got the kaypart thing, I would say it didn't fit on the best but it works.

Choices are GGR Fiesta ST 150 2.0 Quick Shift Kit Short Shifter or Short-Shift Arm from Mountune.

Regarding suspension, I just got my alignment done for about £40 - there is a hunter system to get all the ° degrees of everything, but as it's just FWD a simple alignment is okay, just do it every year. I just changed suspension and waited for it to settle in and got it tracked and there was only a minor adjustment needed. How long do you think the tyres will last you untill they are hitting the 2mm blocks. I've had some expensive ones last about 12k but cheaper ones last nearly 20k. The biggest thing is maintain life is pressures F:32 R:29 (unless someone has a magical set up for a more eco or better drive then please tell.)

Ford wants £550... Hahaha, same my Aircon button had died got another one which looked brand new for £10 got to love breakers.

For the bushes, 100% up to you, but I believe only get involved if the MOT test them and advises it needs them, or just do the lot and never worry again.

With the suspension, it can be deemed at 50k they are on there way out. The ford ones I had lasted for 140k they didn't sag, or have oil leaking out of them. If you really want to get them changed Go for some TRW or KYB or spend about no lower then £650 for really coilovers such as AP.

I would advise some autobeam (25% off at the mo with SUMMER25) bulbs for Indicators, brakelights and side lights. Just go for the lower cost ones, the expensive ones are a bit aggressive and may dazzle other road users. As a biker you can appreciate road safety.

Also miller's do an oil analysis kit which can be worthwhile down the line to see how the engine life is. I had over 4% fuel dilution which was bad.

Get some batteries for your key fobs to keep them going strong.

Did you check out the Most history?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hi Djgalloway

Thx for all the info (y)

Ive never hear of oil analysis ! -

I take it you do that when you drop the old oil out ?
Can you do anything about a bad reading as I would guess the only way fuel can enter the oil is past the rings ?

Yeah, bulbs and batteries are on my list, just not as exiting as the shinier stuff.

How do you check MOT ( which I guess is what you mean ? )

THx

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
No worries,

Yes so, the thermostat was not working and was open so the car run lean and using v power etc it it had poor denotation therefore it was lining the walls and going into the slump making the 5-30w into a 5-20w not ideal. Obviously I had the solution to my problem, the internals were good and no sign of them wearing away.

Battery
Oil
MoT
For oil; carparts4less.co.uk - I use Shell, but up to you I think £23 for 5 litres is fair. But top end is Millers.

Well done on cleaning the engine bay!

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
No worries,

Yes so, the thermostat was not working and was open so the car run lean and using v power etc it it had poor denotation therefore it was lining the walls and going into the slump making the 5-30w into a 5-20w not ideal. Obviously I had the solution to my problem, the internals were good and no sign of them wearing away.

Battery
Oil
MoT
For oil; carparts4less.co.uk - I use Shell, but up to you I think £23 for 5 litres is fair. But top end is Millers.

Well done on cleaning the engine bay!

41 - 60 of 299 Posts