Fiesta ST Forums banner
701 - 720 of 761 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #702 ·
Hi All,

Earths sorted, new gearbox earth cable made up and wiring loom earth connections remade.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Rim

Had a tough job getting the bolt out ( the old one where the black cable is now ).
As I'd already ground the bolt pretty much flush, I tried clamping mole grips to the bolt under the plate to try and wind out. Managed about a quarter of a turn (n), so drilled down enough to free off and wound the old bolt down (y)

I'm not 100% happy with the cables resting on the tray, thats why I've put the bolts up through the holes, I'm going to wind a nut on first then put the connections on, then use a nyloc to fully tighten.

Does anyone have any idea why Ford used two earth bolts ( both attached to the same plate ) ? - Surely if somethings earthed, its earthed ?

Don't call me Shirley :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Managed to find a new gearbox mount yesterday

Automotive design Toy Font Automotive wheel system Plastic

German company - £37.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #703 ·
Hi All,

Jacked under the gearbox & gearbox mount off (y)
Battery Bracket needs complete clean up so want to get as much of the loom out of the way as possible
Having difficulty getting this plug out ( red circle ) - should it come out ?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Electrical wiring

Also does this unit separate ?
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

If I can get it out the way I'll get a bit more access to drill the holes I need for the firewall grommets for the amplifier power cable

Many thanks

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #704 ·
Hi All,

Finally, ignorance won the day, think this is pretty much all thats moveable to let me get to the tray
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Got a big bucket of NIrtomores ordered for wednesday, which I'll just paint on and leave for a day or two.
Can anyone reccommend a good rust treatment ?
Many thx

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #705 ·
Hi All,

Well, had a few emails today from Matt @ Fusion Fabrications
I'd emailed him last week, cheekily asking for fitting instructions,they don't supply them, but he told me, my inlet was one of the early ones that came with a "female" PCV fitting.
This explains why the link @_jimmy_ sent me for a female AN8 blacking plug didn't look right.
Anyway, I'm still no further forwrd working out how to blank off the PCV inlet
Textile Automotive tire Rim Bumper Bicycle part

I'm hoping the metal coloured piece unscrews from the black boss, then I coul just use of male blanking plug, but I'm doubtful.
I know I could use a piece of pipe and just block up the end, but ideally I'd like something a bit more "factory"
Any ideas ? THx

Pretty much finished for today, removed n/s plastic inner wing to get to washer bottle and horm assy bolts.
All removed
Bolts will be wire brushed and resprayed
Cleaned "chasis leg" in white spirit, just to get road grime off and see how much rust needs sorting.
Not too bad

Land vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

As usual, everything I seam to take off I'm looking at the brake pipes ( which I've got braided replacements for ) now does seam the sensible time to change them.
THis cars getting smaller by the day :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
570 Posts
Hi All,

Finally, ignorance won the day, think this is pretty much all thats moveable to let me get to the tray
View attachment 588352

Got a big bucket of NIrtomores ordered for wednesday, which I'll just paint on and leave for a day or two.
Can anyone reccommend a good rust treatment ?
Many thx

Alan
Clean all the paint off, remove all the rust. Then use a rust inhibitor or even red oxide. Then paint over the top.

Even if you remove all rust. Without using an inhibitor, it'll come back at a rapid pace.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #707 ·
Clean all the paint off, remove all the rust. Then use a rust inhibitor or even red oxide. Then paint over the top.

Even if you remove all rust. Without using an inhibitor, it'll come back at a rapid pace.
Hi Marv,
What inhibitor would u reccommend ?
THx

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #708 ·
HI All,

Well the brake pipes came off as succuessfully as I expected - siezed sold (n)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Gas Automotive wheel system

Have a feeling I'm going have to disconnect the pipes up top ( where ever they go ) and make up new sold pipes (n)

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #710 ·
Hi All,

Well, very happy today as got back from work to find a big parcel from Croatia. (y)
Fusion Fabricationinlet manifold
Inlet Gasket
60mm throttle body - Got no plans on using this and will sell if anyones interetsed.
First job was to check out PCV tap off ( which I won't be using )
Early FF inlets came with these PCV fittings
Automotive tire Wood Fastener Gas Hardwood

Steel 1/2" BSP

Had a look in the loft and found blanking replacements.
Fluid Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Its just a straight 15mm coupler with a blacking plug adapter, I may change in future for pure blanking plug, but at least I know the threads are ok to accept either option. :)

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #711 ·
U-POL are a reputable brand that I use for etch primer, so I'd say their rust inhibitor primer is a very safe bet.
Cheers Marv,
All ordered, bit annoyed min quantity off ebay was 3 cans, but thinking about it, by the time I've done both front and back inner wings and the tray, it may well be gone

·
Registered
570 Posts
Cheers Marv,
All ordered, bit annoyed min quantity off ebay was 3 cans, but thinking about it, by the time I've done both front and back inner wings and the tray, it may well be gone
It's just good to have on the shelf.

Reactions: alan ST Bentley

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #713 ·
Hi All,

Started working out what hard brake pipes I'd have to make up.
Shown in red circles
Product Font Handwriting Line Art

They connect in the top of the inner wings, connections look less corroded than those on the flexi pipe and caliper but still pretty grubby

Automotive tire Wood Grey Automotive wheel system Auto part

Will drown in WD40 and try to work out if I can get to this rust without dropping the front shocks out :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #715 ·
Hi All,

Wanted to see what the Manifold would lookl like fitted - luv it (y)

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior

Still not sure if I'm going to sandblast back to silver
Also not happy with the cable routing across the top of the manifold, tried to contact a company Ive use before (kojocat) but they are on holiday.
Can anyone reccommend suppliers of connectors, I'd rather make up and extension lead than cut and shut the loom ( unless theres no other option )

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #716 ·
Hi All,

Well thats interesting, throttle body wont fit without modification to slam panel.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Its no big deal, I've got a spare slam panel, I was using to work out mounting of PAS cooler, I'll just have to swap them over and start cutting :ROFLMAO:

Thought I'd check how the K&N 57i fitted, It dosn't no room to feed down side of ecu

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior

But as I put slam panel back on, I might not have to cut much, if any off after all.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Vehicle

Obviously everything is loose fitted atm so I'll wait till everything is properly bolted up before cutting anything

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #717 ·
Hi All,

For a change = partial success.
Managed to split the o/s/f solid brake line and remove everything forward of it.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Road surface Tool

Wasn't easy - If I can get the pipe out of the caliper it will be good, but if not got spare calipers so not the end of the world.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hi All,

Wanted to see what the Manifold would lookl like fitted - luv it (y)

View attachment 588386

Still not sure if I'm going to sandblast back to silver
Also not happy with the cable routing across the top of the manifold, tried to contact a company Ive use before (kojocat) but they are on holiday.
Can anyone reccommend suppliers of connectors, I'd rather make up and extension lead than cut and shut the loom ( unless theres no other option )
You don't need to cut anything. Pm me

Reactions: alan ST Bentley

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #719 ·
Hi All,

Finally both calipers and brake pipes off.

Tire Shoe Tread Wheel Wood

I'll have another go at seperating them all, now they are off the car and I can use a vice.
I was amazed how quicly the clips I bought deteriated, ( less than 6 months )
Thats it for tonight.. knackered.com :ROFLMAO:

701 - 720 of 761 Posts