721 - 740 of 761 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #722 ·
Hi All,

Couldn't do much today as had a later start but,
Managed to seperate the hard brake pipes from the flexi's and with a bit of persuation got the flexi out of the caliper. (y) So I've got two spare sets of front calipers.
Cleaned up all the hard line connections, I was going to make up new pipes, but now I've cleaned up the pipes I'm going to re use them for the time being.

Brown Wood Electrical wiring Cable Hardwood

Cleaned up & sprayed the flexi retaining clips.
Wood Font Hardwood Wood stain Rectangle

Had deivery of the remaining connectors I need for the PAS cooler, built up it fits into the grille space really nicely,
Automotive radiator part Wood Gas Rectangle Metal

Still not fully decided on the bracket design,
Had delivery of new grearbox mount, transfered powerflex bushes

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Toy Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #724 ·
Hi All,
Well I've had a fraut morning, @MarkP80 was dead right about the nitromores, it been on 3 hours and has only started to bubble some of the paint. i'll leave on overnight and repeat tommorrow morning.
Wood House Automotive exterior Facade Glove

As the front of the car is off I thought I'd replace the Horn unit, got hi/lo horns, but not sure they will both fit in the same area as the old one. Not a massive big deal, I'm sure I can find somewhere to mount them.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood Asphalt

Had to rethink the brackets for the PAS cooler. I had planned on welding the brackets to the bumper, but after finding out the bumper appears to be SS this wont be an option.

Planning on opening out the two existing holes in the bumper, fitting captive nuts and bolting up two brackets each side, not as pretty as I would have liked but hopefully they will support the weight of the cooler

Sorry about the rubbish artwork

Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Asphalt

anyway off to work now for a rest :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
570 Posts
it been on 3 hours and has only started to bubble some of the paint
It used to contain dichloromethane but this was banned by EU legislation in around 2011 due to its toxic properties if used in a confined space. I hadn't used it for years but bought some recently and found the new formulation to be very time consuming to use and not very effective.
Apparently you need to keep stippling it into the item you're stripping. If you just leave it overnight, it's unlikely to penetrate lower layers.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #726 ·
It used to contain dichloromethane but this was banned by EU legislation in around 2011 due to its toxic properties if used in a confined space. I hadn't used it for years but bought some recently and found the new formulation to be very time consuming to use and not very effective.
Apparently you need to keep stippling it into the item you're stripping. If you just leave it overnight, it's unlikely to penetrate lower layers.
Hi Mark,
Maybe I can do that tommorrow, off to work now so havn't got any more time today 😢

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #727 ·
Hi Mark,
Maybe I can do that tommorrow, off to work now so havn't got any more time today 😢
Hi @ MarkP80.
Yeah this "new" Nitromores is rubbish

Automotive tire Sleeve Wood Grey Motor vehicle

Anyway, worked my round with wire brush attachment in drill and paddle in grinder and its as good as I can get it

Sprayed with Ispon zinc 182 primer, still looks pretty horrible

Blue Product Azure Textile Sleeve

No prizes for anyone who can guess who I work for :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #728 ·
Hi All,

Well I cleaned up most of the runs and re primered, then sprayed with K2 silver caliper paint ( which is a pretty good match to moondust silver )

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
570 Posts
I added trichloromethane (chloroform), when I used it a few years ago. Worked a treat. Dichloromethane is effectively a weaker version of chloroform.
Hence why using the old stuff in enclosed areas makes you drowsy haha.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #730 ·
Hi All
I added trichloromethane (chloroform), when I used it a few years ago. Worked a treat. Dichloromethane is effectively a weaker version of chloroform.
Hence why using the old stuff in enclosed areas makes you drowsy haha.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I won't ask why you have chloroform :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, but I've had enough of this tray.

Started pulling the wining loom apart to route behind, round the engine
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

If I've understood @Marv_st instructions the cable marked with the yellow arrow will go under the coolant bottle to the starter.
The wiring that connects to the multiplug ( green circle ) will go around the back of the engine

I think I will need to make up some brackets to hold the PAS pipe away from the aux belt.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #732 ·
Hi All,

Started cleaning up the area round the engine mount.
As on the n/s the earth connections were siezed solid. Ground the head off the bolt
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle door Wood

Hoping I can get the siezed bolt out from underneath, but if not I'll just drill out and replace with bolt

·
Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
570 Posts
Hi All

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I won't ask why you have chloroform :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, but I've had enough of this tray.

Started pulling the wining loom apart to route behind, round the engine
View attachment 588454

If I've understood @Marv_st instructions the cable marked with the yellow arrow will go under the coolant bottle to the starter.
The wiring that connects to the multiplug ( green circle ) will go around the back of the engine

I think I will need to make up some brackets to hold the PAS pipe away from the aux belt.
That routing is correct.
Chloroform is a plastic weld. It welds acrylics and more shock resistant abs/styrene. It's readily available to buy.
I keep MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) on the shelf in the garage, it's like bottling brain damage.
I was a prop maker/ set builder and architectural model maker for a decade.

Reactions: alan ST Bentley

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #734 ·
Hi All,

Only a short time to work on the car today before work. Finished cleaning the surface rust off the area under the engine mount. Drilled out the siezed earth bolt and ground the remains of the captive nut off the underside.
Not sure if I'll stay with a bolt up through the panel or fit a captive nut

Automotive tire Trunk Bumper Motor vehicle Vehicle door

Hopefully the zinc oxide primer will be dry by the time I need to go to work and I can get a layer of top coat on.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #737 ·
Looks good!
Thanks Mate 😁

Trying to get a bit done each day now, bit frustrating how long its taking but I'm trying to resist the temptation to chuck it all back together without dealing with the underlying issues.
Hoping tommorrow to get the brake lines, clutch line, calipers & new inner wings fitted
Are there any more earth bolts that I should be checking/replacing whilst the front end is apart ?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #738 ·
HI All,

I was tempted to forget the car tody ( and watch motoGp practise :ROFLMAO: ), but cracked on.

Cleaned up Engine mount refitted, had a pig to get bolts to line up but a big bar repositioned engine )
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Refited hard brake lines, replaced flexis and calipers ( with luvly new pbs pads )

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

Replaced Clutch hydraulic line ( new one was about 6" longer than the old one but went in ok ) managed to loose both the fixing clips ( had kept the ones off the gearbox I bought to refurb - phew )

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive wheel system

There was an aluminium adapter between the slave cylinder and the old pipe ( even off the car I couldn't get the spring clip to fit, so as the new pipe is longer anyway decided not to refit )

Just thought, have I made a boo boo fitting the brake lines before the inner wings ? :eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #740 ·
Hi All,

Got in too late to start playing with aux belt tonight, but I've been chatting to @blk_yell.fez about injector cleaning/refurb.

Injector rail came off realy easy, I was expecting the injectors to come with it but they didn't

Photograph Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Black

How much force should be needed to get them out ?

Thx

721 - 740 of 761 Posts