Fiesta ST Forums banner
821 - 840 of 886 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #822 ·
Hi All,

Been looking for a new rack this morning, put my reg in the search sites and there appear to be 2 otions : 3.3 turns lock 2 lock and 2.75 turns lock 2 lock, I'm thinking of going for thhe 2.75 as I figure it will be more responsive, does any one know what the OEM version is ?

Thx

·
Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
647 Posts
Hi All,

Been looking for a new rack this morning, put my reg in the search sites and there appear to be 2 otions : 3.3 turns lock 2 lock and 2.75 turns lock 2 lock, I'm thinking of going for thhe 2.75 as I figure it will be more responsive, does any one know what the OEM version is ?

Thx
It's not 2.75 in real life. It's 1...ish. the longer rack is for non st. The shorter rack is for the ST to account for the wider wheels.

I hope that's a tdci zs.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi MArv,

nah, why would i but a diesel inside the LEFZ. :ROFLMAO:
Thats true. Shame though. The 1.6 tdci is just such an epic engine for so many reasons. The 1.6 petrol is almost as thirsty as the st with none of the perks.
When's the ST becoming a track car then?

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #827 ·
Hi All,

Had a trip to the breakers this afternoon and picked up some PAS pipes.

I'm working on the logic that if I've got spares, everything will come apart fine, where as If I havn't everything will be siezed solid.

Got a replacement high pressure hose ( based on the fact that the fitting that was attached to the rack I got with the subframe was siezed solid and the return connection as the one I got with the subframe had been cut before the barb.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Twig Plant

I'm hoping that the crimps marked red can be cut off and replaced along with new high pressure hose, I've had this done before on motorcycle oil cooler pipework, so fingers x'd

The yelow circle is where the new hose will be attached to the return to go to the pas oil cooler.

Picked up both pipes for £60 so not too bad

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi All,

Had a trip to the breakers this afternoon and picked up some PAS pipes.

I'm working on the logic that if I've got spares, everything will come apart fine, where as If I havn't everything will be siezed solid.

Got a replacement high pressure hose ( based on the fact that the fitting that was attached to the rack I got with the subframe was siezed solid and the return connection as the one I got with the subframe had been cut before the barb.

View attachment 589155

I'm hoping that the crimps marked red can be cut off and replaced along with new high pressure hose, I've had this done before on motorcycle oil cooler pipework, so fingers x'd

The yelow circle is where the new hose will be attached to the return to go to the pas oil cooler.

Picked up both pipes for £60 so not too bad
They can be replaced. It'll likely end up costing you more than buying a brand new off the shelf high pressure line though.
Pirtek make up all my hydraulic lines and their work is spot on. And they're nationwide I believe.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #829 ·
They can be replaced. It'll likely end up costing you more than buying a brand new off the shelf high pressure line though.
Pirtek make up all my hydraulic lines and their work is spot on. And they're nationwide I believe.
Hi Marv,
yeah and they are also robbin bastxxds !!
What is that switch on the high pressure hose for ?
thx

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi Marv,
yeah and they are also robbin bastxxds !!
What is that switch on the high pressure hose for ?
thx
Who are robbing bar staffs?

It's a pressure switch that signals the canbus. Which then signals the dash. Cant tell you if it'd throw a light if its unplugged as I don't have an oem ecu.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #831 ·
Who are robbing bar staffs?

It's a pressure switch that signals the canbus. Which then signals the dash. Cant tell you if it'd throw a light if its unplugged as I don't have an oem ecu.
Hi Marv,
I'm guessing it doesn't as otherwise these connectors wouldn't work

Household hardware Service Auto part Engineering Gas

I'm thinking of getting these, the return I can just get an AN6 and connect to hose.
The high pressure, I can get AN6 fittings crimped to each end of the hose
Best thing would be to wait until car running and then disconnect connector and see what happens

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi Marv,
I'm guessing it doesn't as otherwise these connectors wouldn't work

View attachment 589156

I'm thinking of getting these, the return I can just get an AN6 and connect to hose.
The high pressure, I can get AN6 fittings crimped to each end of the hose
Best thing would be to wait until car running and then disconnect connector and see what happens
Don't bank on that logic. As Kinzy make a lot of components for many mk6 race and track cars.
Yeah disconnect the connector and go from there.
I think I missed something... what's wrong with your current high pressure line?

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #833 ·
Don't bank on that logic. As Kinzy make a lot of components for many mk6 race and track cars.
Yeah disconnect the connector and go from there.
I think I missed something... what's wrong with your current high pressure line?
Hi Marv,
OK, I got a rack with the subframe I bought last week and the high pressure pipe was siezed solid. I went to a breakers this afternoon and they told me that 8/10 times they can;t get the high pressure pipe out of the rack as its siezed solid.
so, as almost everything else on my st is siezed, its a fair bet that this will be siezed
I've got a new rack ordered so I'm thinking if I don't need that switch I can just run a pipe straight from the pump to the rack

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi Marv,
OK, I got a rack with the subframe I bought last week and the high pressure pipe was siezed solid. I went to a breakers this afternoon and they told me that 8/10 times they can;t get the high pressure pipe out of the rack as its siezed solid.
so, as almost everything else on my st is siezed, its a fair bet that this will be siezed
I've got a new rack ordered so I'm thinking if I don't need that switch I can just run a pipe straight from the pump to the rack
Do yourself a favour, Jack your drivers side up. Look at the fitting via the wheel arch and see for yourself. Countless mk6 st's I've broken. Not one has been seized.
Spray a little penetrating oil and go for a cup of tea
Then get an extension bar and 10mm to crack the line off. Fluid won't leak out, even with the bolts removed (with engine not running).

You can be sure that it won't be seized.
You may just save yourself unnecessary time, money and work replacing a perfectly working genuine high pressure line.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #835 ·
Do yourself a favour, Jack your drivers side up. Look at the fitting via the wheel arch and see for yourself. Countless mk6 st's I've broken. Not one has been seized.
Spray a little penetrating oil and go for a cup of tea
Then get an extension bar and 10mm to crack the line off. Fluid won't leak out, even with the bolts removed (with engine not running).

You can be sure that it won't be seized.
You may just save yourself unnecessary time, money and work replacing a perfectly working genuine high pressure line.
Hi Marv,

Yeah, I take your point, I'm not convinced though as everything else is siezed on this car :ROFLMAO:
Anyway I finally tracked down the guys I used many years ago for hose replacement - Think Automotive (TW15 1XB ), who are only about 5 miles from me, spoke to him today and got a rough quote of £70 for the high pressure hose, so I know that if it does go pear shape with the existing hose I can get out of trouble.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi Marv,

Yeah, I take your point, I'm not convinced though as everything else is siezed on this car :ROFLMAO:
Anyway I finally tracked down the guys I used many years ago for hose replacement - Think Automotive (TW15 1XB ), who are only about 5 miles from me, spoke to him today and got a rough quote of £70 for the high pressure hose, so I know that if it does go pear shape with the existing hose I can get out of trouble.
That's an exceptionally good price considering there's several parts that need brazing, then crimping. Bite the guys hand off at that price!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yeah, very happy, I used these guys maybe 15/20 years ago.
I just like the fact I can take the pipe in and discuss it in real life. (y)
Yep. That's exactly what appealed with my local pirtek. And the fact that their hose ratings start at 500bar!

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #839 ·
Hi All,

Been crazy busy with work and sorting few minor issues with new zetec this week so not had a chance to do much with the ST, picking up front subframe from powder coaters on wednesday, new rack should be here by then, so want to get everything built up, even if I don't get to fit it yet.

I've got powerflex bushes in the "old" wishbones fitted on the car and I've got a new set of wishbones.
Is it possible to remove the powerflex bushes from the old wishbones or should I get new ones ?
If its likely that the bushes will get damaged while removing, I will fit the old wishbones to the zetec at some point
Any ideas ?

THx

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #840 ·
Hi All

"New" rack arrived this morning, fitted AN6 adapters ready for new pas pipes.

Bicycle part Wood Tool Auto part Machine

Just need to push rack mountings out and replace with solid bushes.
Got new track rod ends so that the whole assembly will be pretty much "as new" waiting for new ss m14x1.5 nuts for the track rods ( can't believe tey don't come with the new ends )
Fitting SS Allen bolts to hold the rack in and would like to do the same with the subframe mounting bolts.
If they will be strong enough
Need:
Ford RefSizeQtyDescription
HB1M10 x 75
2​
Subframe to Body Front Bolts
HB2M14 x 60
2​
Subframe to Body Rear Bolts
HS1M12 x 40
2​
Subframe to Body Rear Bolts