Fiesta ST Forums banner
841 - 860 of 886 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #841 ·
Hi All,

Was planning on doing some repair work to the shroud that came with the old rack

Wood Natural material Food Metal Trunk

On inspection, It is properly knackered, got a new one off ebay £23

Gesture Font Art Slope Auto part

Only thing I can't find yet is the seal that goes between the rack and the car floorpan, I've got an old one maybe its re useable

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle part Rim

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #842 ·
Hi All,

Rack bushes were a nighmare to get out, but all done and new solid bushes fitted.

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Gas Rim

Didn't like the fact the rack came with cable ties to fit new gaitors, got some spare cv boot metal ties so will be using them instead.

Started fitting the rods to the rack, but there are no flats on anything to get spanners onto surely they arnt just done up finger tight ?

Wood Gas Auto part Engineering Metal

thx

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #844 ·
Hi All,

Postman bought me H&R uprated/adjustable Front ARB this morning.

Wood Flooring Pattern Rectangle Electric blue

OD is 22mm - I've emailed supplier to try and get a second set of bushes.
If the price is ok I'll get as with my luck in 10 years time I'll find the bushes are knackered and I won't be able to get a replacement set :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #845 ·
Hi All,

Finally after a load of grief managed to get the old rack apart

Table Automotive tire Wood Coil spring Gas

I was tempted just to put the track rods in nthe box, but after some more grief managed to seperate the old track rod ends and remove the locking nuts

This lot can all go back in the box and be sent back to the supplier to get my £50 surcharge back :)

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #846 ·
Hi All,

Postman bought me H&R uprated/adjustable Front ARB this morning.

View attachment 589241

OD is 22mm - I've emailed supplier to try and get a second set of bushes.
If the price is ok I'll get as with my luck in 10 years time I'll find the bushes are knackered and I won't be able to get a replacement set :eek:
Well,

Got a reply about the arb bushes - £100 - :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I'd rather get a set of poweflex ones, clamp them up and put a drill through to open up to 22mm.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #847 ·
Hi All,

As my front subrfame is ready for collection in the morning, thought id drop him off a pair of my "spare" ST front calipers to blast, ( only wants £20 a caliper)

Fawn Snout Wood Arch Font

I had planned on using these on my ST, but after getting "new" ones - these can go on the zetec.
I've read a few zetec forum posts and it looks like the conversion to focus st170 brakes is the same, so I'm after a set of ST170 carriers now

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #848 ·
Hi All,

Well as I didn't get an answer to my question of whether or not I could resuse powrflex bushes I bought some more:

Wishbone front
Automotive tire Audio equipment Rim Font Automotive wheel system

Wishbone back

Product Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Lens

Got my new wishbones, ready to be stripped out

Tool Auto part Automotive exterior Metal Bicycle part

I admit, I'm not looking forward to doing this, it was a horrible job last time and I can't see why it would be any better this time 😢

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #849 ·
Hi All,

Back from a trip to the powder coaters. - Pleased with the result.

Built up front subframe assy, but after feeling the weight, wished I hadn't

Gas Auto part Electric blue Motor vehicle Machine

Wood Bicycle part Air gun Automotive tire Rim

All I've got to do now is clean up and paint the subframe inserts ( which I've put somewhere safe, and now can't find ) & wait for the powerflex bushes

Al.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #851 ·
Going with black series is a brave one on a road car. Any reason why?
and you still believe it's a road car :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
lol, nah, although it will be predominantly a road car, my commute is 2.5 miles to work each way so I realise the NVH will increase but don't care.
I've got the zetec for longer journeys, it came back from Liverpool last week with no concerns so, as I plan on doing some track days next year so thought I may as well make something that handles :)
Al.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #852 ·
Hi All,

Well, I had a result this morning as whilst I was collecting the subframe got talking to a guy who works on the same industrial site ( a welder )

Had a rethink on the pas cooler mounting issue and came up with this :

Grille Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Facade

The red box will be roughly 5mm plate welded to the bumper with 4 off 6mm holes in each bracket and will be welded to the bumper
The green and orange lines will be 3mm plate which will bolt through the holes in the red bracket.
If I'd made the bracket as 1 piece I couldn't get the rubber mounts in, but as three pieces, the orange and green brackets can be bolted to the cooler and then the hole lot slid back into the red and then bolted up
Just need to find some 5mm plate now and I can make up the red bit ready for welding

·
Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
647 Posts
and you still believe it's a road car :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
lol, nah, although it will be predominantly a road car, my commute is 2.5 miles to work each way so I realise the NVH will increase but don't care.
I've got the zetec for longer journeys, it came back from Liverpool last week with no concerns so, as I plan on doing some track days next year so thought I may as well make something that handles :)
Al.
That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Get yourself over to Brands Hatch next year for a shakedown.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #854 ·
Hi All,

RE design no 6 ( or so ) of the PAS cooler brackets

Colorfulness Rectangle Product Azure Slope

My main concern was having too much flex, so I'm trying to keep the length of the legs as short as possible.
Also, by having the thicker metal on the outside, I can build the whole unit up ( attached to the cooler ) then take to the welder who can tack the red brackets to the bumper, prior to stripping down and fully welding up.
The red bracket will have 6mm holes in them.
The orange and green brackets will have 6mm slots, allowing me to adjust +/- 10mm or so up and down, so I can make sure the lower fittings ae possitioned correctly.
Al

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #857 ·
Hi All,

Postman bought some goodies this morning : nothing too exiting but needed:

Replacement SS track rod end nuts

Wood Silver Jewellery Nickel Hardwood

Think I may have gone overboard with the quantity

Powerflex wishbone bushes:

Automotive tire Wood Camera accessory Camera lens Gas

I should be happy that these arrived so quick, but I remembr what a pig it was to get yellow bushes in last time, so god knows how bad these will be.

Anyway, lastly, as I had a spare rear engine mount, thought I'd prep it for the new powerflex bushes.
When I changed this last time, I bought the whole bracket, but thought I'd save a few quid by just getting the bushes.

Purple Sleeve Textile Grey Violet

Have I messed up ?
Burn't both the inners out, but theres a steel insert on both holes, I ground it off the smaller hole, but can't get it out, should I have ground it off or is it required ?
As I said, its a spare so if i've messed up its no big deal,

Many thx

Al

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #858 ·
Hi All,

Well both rear wishbone bushes in (y)

Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Metal

I thought I'd share this as it so rare anything I try goes according to plan. not telling anyone how to do this, but it worked very well for me.

I used a puller kit, I bought to do the rear swing arm bearings

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle fork Vehicle brake Rim

Didn't use the tube, but attached the nut to the shaft and used one of the larger puller rings to go under the wishbone insert, then tightened the other large ring over the top of the powerflex insert and tightened down.
First time I tried it I ran out of thread before the insert had gone into the housing, but used a spacer ( i have no idea where I got it from ) but its 38mm OD x 20mm high. and it worked fine.

Happy dayz 😁

841 - 860 of 886 Posts