Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Picked up my 5 door 2019 st-3 today. Really enjoying how ‘pick up and go’ it all is. Nice tech, nice positive steering and decent power. Altho first gear seems a bit ‘dead’..

Will be using it as a second car for ferrying around kids to their various classes etc and town shopping etc where I don’t need to worry about how stupidly small car spaces are. :) use a 320 touring for longer journies and general hauling the kids stuff around. Previous cars
  • alfa 147
  • Audi TT
  • polo gti
  • Abarth 500
  • GR Yaris

Initial questions
1.Recommendations for front floor mats?
2. Can keyless start/ entry be turned off? Am fine with using the blipper to unlock but is there a way to only turn the car on if the key touches the on button? GR had this to try and reduce relay theft I believe.
3. Which after market wheels do people think suit it? Not a massive fan of these 80s inspired ones.

Andy

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
So . . . The big question.

Is it more fun at legal speeds that the GR?

I have no personal experience but an mate who works in the car trade has said the ST is much more fun than the Abarth 500 and Polo gti??. I'm waiting patiently fr my St Edition, only another 2 to 3 months 🙄 so can only enjoy the ST by-proxy until then.

as for quick questions ( i have done nothing but research . . )

Floor mats ford ones are not highly rated but Mountune or Vudu are also some are going for rubber, but i don't like them so not looked.
And yes keyless entry can be turned off, not sure how but it's in the menu somewhere under vehicle settings, I'll be doing this on day just for a bit more peace of mind.
Wheels are a personal touch I love the Edition Wheels, prefer them in the colour on the PE but think they suit the Azura Blue in Gloss black.
Alternatives from Revo and Pumaspeed look the same, but so many other looks available i wouldn't be able to decide but i do like simple 5, 6 or 7 spoke designs.

I do think the 5 doors really suit the Performance Blue too 👍

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
1) I opted for the deep moulded Ford rubber mats. Snug fit, no slip, nice design.
2) Yes to Keyless entry, no to Keyless start.
3) Don't be so quick to ditch the wheels. I was going to do the same but they grew on me... nowt wrong with the 80's 😎

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have no personal experience but an mate who works in the car trade has said the ST is much more fun than the Abarth 500 and Polo gti??. I'm waiting patiently fr my St Edition, only another 2 to 3 months 🙄 so can only enjoy the ST by-proxy until then.

Floor mats ford ones are not highly rated but Mountune or Vudu are also some are going for rubber, but i don't like them so not looked.
And yes keyless entry can be turned off, not sure how but it's in the menu somewhere under vehicle settings, I'll be doing this on day just for a bit more peace of mind.
Wheels are a personal touch I love the Edition Wheels, prefer them in the colour on the PE but think they suit the Azura Blue in Gloss black.
Alternatives from Revo and Pumaspeed look the same, but so many other looks available i wouldn't be able to decide but i do like simple 5, 6 or 7 spoke designs.

Thanks! Tbh there are so few about at the moment in 5 door I kinda had to take what colour was available.
I’ll take it for a blast tonight and see how it compares to the GR in terms of fun at legal speeds. Initial impressions are they aren’t really comparable. The GRs power is so immediate and relentless from low revs and the grip is so good you can take corners at silly speeds. It addictive in a rapid progress without drama kind of way. Fiesta immediately feels a lot ‘looser’ and lively. Can feel the grip going a bit when giving it some in 2nd. V different
Thanks for feedback on questions

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Took it for a drive last night down my favourite a and B roads nearby. Is it more fun that a GR? No but equally it’s not really any less fun.. it’s just a different sort of fun. You can feel it struggling for grip in 2nd if the road is rough when you floor it which makes it more engaging and involving at lower speeds. You also don’t need to be any where near as precise with your gear changes etc. It’s very easy to live with car and I think I’ll enjoy that side of it. The GR is so mechanical it’s like a rifle bolt when you change gear, but its something you need to push hard and drive precisely to be rewarded. The ST doesn’t care- it’s consistent and easy.
1st gear is a bit meh (torque limited?!) but it does really fly in 3rd. The sports mode with the valve opened on the exhaust is great :)
This has launch control option but I’m unconvinced the lsd is that effective. Might just be me, but it’s torque steer on uneven roads is quite pronounced?!
so in summary- different sort of fun- more accessible and at lower speeds plus a bit more flexible - it can live better with my questionable gear changes / rev matching etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
GR Yaris -> Fiesta ST?

After having to read that twice I know from experience there’s definitely a number of things going for the Fiesta above the Yaris like the superb fuel economy (no need to use RON 98), less busy cleaner dash, those pops and bangs from the exhaust, not having to service every 6000 miles, being able to seat anyone in the back, and being able to open the doors in winter when the frameless windows are frozen up!

Also from a bang-for-your-buck view the GR is 50% more expensive than the ST but I doubt it’s 50% more fun. The 10 year Toyota warranty is nice though.

Oh one last thing, you mentioned about your rev matching - did the iMT blip function on the GR not help in that area?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GR Yaris -> Fiesta ST?

After having to read that twice I know from experience there’s definitely a number of things going for the Fiesta above the Yaris like the superb fuel economy (no need to use RON 98), less busy cleaner dash, those pops and bangs from the exhaust, not having to service every 6000 miles, being able to seat anyone in the back, and being able to open the doors in winter when the rimless windows are frozen up!

Also from a bang-for-your-buck standpoint the GR is 50% more expensive than the ST but I doubt it’s 50% more fun.

Oh one last thing, you mentioned about your rev matching - did the iMT blip function on the GR not help in that area?
yeah the iMT made it much nicer on downshift. In general though I found the clutch and gear change much fussier and needing more precision. There were times where when up to temp I would expect it have enough revs and hit the biting point when pulling away but it almost stalled and then the revs over compensated when in increased and it sounded like a getaway car. I think the pumped in sound doesn’t help there.
do you find you get the pops and bangs in sport mode only and needs the 98 ron type fuel? Not noticed any so far but I think it’s on bogo standard unleaded that the dealer used.
We are both really enjoying the ST so far and so are the kids

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry didn't mean to confuse things with the fuel types, was just making the point that the GR is supposed to be run on higher octane fuel whereas there's no such requirement for the ST.

Re. the pops and bangs I think they're more pronounced when you're not in normal mode. For me I've never stopped in sport mode it's either in normal or race, and to be honest I don't really notice much difference in fuel economy between the two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts