Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last couple of days iv'e had a warning pop up every time I drive the car but always after about 15 mins or so. The hill start assist is unavailable with the associated yellow i caption. Also I have noticed that the gear shift up arrow is no longer coming on. Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing these issues? Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well that didn't get me very far posting on here! For those of you who may ever get this issue, I found that the fuse for my brake lights had blown which seems to have rectified the two other issues above by replacing it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well that didn't get me very far posting on here! For those of you who may ever get this issue, I found that the fuse for my brake lights had blown which seems to have rectified the two other issues above by replacing it.
I'd say there were no responses because maybe no one has had this issue before. I certainly haven't. but i also don't use hill start assist either. I do wonder how many people actually use it because when i did i didn't find it useful at all mainly because it doesn't hold you permanently until you set off. Unlike the Audi i had you stop on the hill and it holds you until you set off again.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I assumed everyone used it. I find it very useful. I wouldn't expect it to permanently hold the car either as that is what a handbrake is for.
I assumed it was the same as my Audi and nearly ended up hitting the car behind me :lmao: I also don't read instructions or i would of known how it works :facepalm: . so it is now off permanently mainly because it doesn't hold for long enough when your stuck at traffic lights. so i use my foot brake instead.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
One good reason is that all it does is hold the car...like the handbrake, so I just use the handbrake and do hill starts how I was taught.
That's not a reason not to use it. You just gave a similar method. A reason not to use it would involve a negative action.

A handbrake just holds the car... Like hill assist, so I just use the hill assist and do hill starts how the feature is designed.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I have it enabled and it's always worked fine but I don't always use it, if using the handbrake method Hill Start Assist won't engage anyway.

I reckon the handbrake on these are a bit naff, doesn't help that I don't like giving the lever a heavy yank (yank with a Y) , on steeper gradients I feel more in control holding on the foot brake and using hsa.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Iv'e only noticed it working on a couple of occasions but it seems to work as advertised. Weird that a blown brake light fuse would stop the change up indicator and the hill start thing from working but it definitely seemed to

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I suspect hill start is related to brake fuse because technically the car is holding the brakes and thus brake lights on whilst you don't have your foot on the brake pedal.

No idea why shift lights go!

·
Registered
1 Posts
As above, most people have turned it off. Plus this time of year is a bit quieter on the forum and your post hasn't even been active for 24 hours yet.
I have just had the same issue. Blown fuse stopping hill start from working.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hill start assist was one of the things I turned off almost immediately because sometimes it wanted to gently hold the car in place when I wanted to set off, even on what it considered a slight slope. In those situations I would have preferred for the car to rest on foot brake momentarily or on the clutch biting point to permit a gentler standing start. I always hated how it made my car jolt or jerk slightly as it decided to disengage the brakes, and it felt wrong relying on electronics instead of using my muscle memory to hold the car on handbrake while I did the brake/clutch shuffle. It would never do it as smoothly as I could.

I also didn't like relying on an opaque system which might stop the car rolling backwards in some circumstances - until it decided to disengage for whatever reason with no warning. Handbrake will only disengage if I release it, and as I also learned to blend clutch and throttle with handbrake release for smooth starts, for me it feels more controlled and far more satisfying.

However I appreciate that many people like the extra assistance. I just prefer the more analogue driving technique. Though I do appreciate how the ECU gently assists with rev matching blip downshifts :D Makes you feel like a B road hero every day.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
The reason i dont use hill start is that on my car at least the hill start seems to want to hold the car for fractionally too long on pull away on some hills before it will release. Just not sure if that will do the clutch damage long term or not so to do away with any doubt i just turned it off and gone old school lol

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I have hill start assist enabled, it's definitely too grabby though.

Even though I have HSA enabled I very rarely use it, using the hand brake (with foot off the brake pedal) disables HSA and you set off like normal, on very rare occasions like on a very steep hill I'll probably use HSA, the hand brake on these aren't the best and I don't fully trust it, rather use HSA and a slightly more aggressive set off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts