Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car wows just done a triple test with the ST, Polo GTI and the Hyundai I20N. Link below:

Can't say I agree with the outcome, but his comments on all three are interesting at least.

Peoples thoughts?

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
The bloke has always had something against the ST, so I was surprised he said he preferred the engine, however I’m not surprised he picked the i20. Also, you have to question the motive behind the winner…it’s all just paid advertising really…

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I watched that earlier and agree Matt isn't a Ford fan, every vid he's done with the Fiesta he's picked faults that aren't there.

I mean he pitched it directly against the GR Yaris and BMW M3 in a track battle.

But then Auto Express did this. See below, makes me think it must be thought of as a league or 2 above its actual rivals.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm sure I remember reading the i20n won best hot hatch award even before it's been released.
It's all pure advertising publisity...
Like others have said I'm sure there are alot of incentives for reviewers to pick one over the other.
I always find carwow videos a bit meh.... Unless Matt's in some 500plus bhp machine he seems like he doesn't want to be there...

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I think you are right. @essieboyst

I like the piston heads videos although Dan is obviously totally in love with the ST against the i20 and even against the GR.
But I think he gives fair appraisal where needed for and against the competition without being, well frankly annoying.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I watched that earlier and agree Matt isn't a Ford fan, every vid he's done with the Fiesta he's picked faults that aren't there.

I mean he pitched it directly against the GR Yaris and BMW M3 in a track battle.

But then Auto Express did this. See below, makes me think it must be thought of as a league or 2 above its actual rivals.

Faster than the gti though 🤙

·
Registered
193 Posts
The auto express review is far superior than the carwow one, a proper skilled driver putting a hot hatch through it paces! And giving a proper review of the cars...
The ST isn't a drag strip racer it's a B Road beast!
Shows alot of cars up way out of its price range which always makes me smile 😆

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I'm sure I remember reading the i20n won best hot hatch award even before it's been released.
It's all pure advertising publisity...
Like others have said I'm sure there are alot of incentives for reviewers to pick one over the other.
I always find carwow videos a bit meh.... Unless Matt's in some 500plus bhp machine he seems like he doesn't want to be there...
They do awards for Directors etc in my industry, its a well known "secret" that the vast majority of them are purchased. Pay 1k for a chance to win & the meal & a little glitz, pay 2k for a guaranteed win to use as justification for that large bonus. I have no doubt its similar to an extent in the car industry.

That said, I do kinda agree with his opinion, i20n most focused, ST most fun, polo grown up. I'd still pick the ST personally, but thats because I also agree with his other sentiment - the fastest car isnt always the most fun, I want the car that makes me grin end to end on the drive. The i20n when I drove it did that when I pushed it, but for the bulk of the drive I wasnt grinning. Never stopped in my ST yet.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I've just watched the video all the way through. I think that Matt is pretty fair about the ST. From 9 mins to 11 mins he just raves on about it and his enjoyment of the car shines through.

·
Registered
193 Posts
@Bravestarr yea I have watched the entirety of the video now and what he said was valid overall.
When the i20N are actually in customers hands though the 2022 ST will be out and have a full digital dash, if that's what is classed as the future, not a big fan of them myself, plus 30nm of extra torque from the factory.
Probably best for a i20N Vs Fiesta ST review then I suppose.

Got to admit I do like the i20N customization though through the centre console screen, that's a nice touch!

All we need now is a new Cliosport, CorsaVXR bring back the good old days...

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Geez that Matt dude is a ****, can’t stand his reviews, try’s to be funny all time when he’s not, so I usually stop watching after a minute or so, I never take his opinion seriously, as for the i20N, well I can’t get past the rear, whoever designed that needs a break from the mushrooms, it’s a mess, the rear wing looks like a cheap after thought as well, hate the rims, and that plastic interior won’t age well, many other things I could go on about but I won’t, so for me.. Fiesta ST all day long.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Haha yea Matt is like marmite you either love him or hate him.
Sometimes he's funny 😂
His reviews generally involve 1/4 mile drags, 0-60 and brake tests so a bit boring really.
The auto express guy gives the cars a proper hoon on a track which appeals to me alot more and it really puts the cars through there paces.
I feel that shows what the cars are capable off alot more!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts