Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't made a specific post for a while

Any Ideas how to remove this? I want to remove the turbo return and this bolt has been stripped for 2 years now

Access is quite tight so a normal socket and torx wont fit in there. I can get the short side of an allen key torx in and that's about it

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Haven't made a specific post for a while

Any Ideas how to remove this? I want to remove the turbo return and this bolt has been stripped for 2 years now

Access is quite tight so a normal socket and torx wont fit in there. I can get the short side of an allen key torx in and that's about it

View attachment 590149
Have you tried a small pair of mole grips side on to the head of the screw to grip the screw head and just try to get the initial few turns on the screw to get it turning, then your fingers might be able to unscrew the rest of the screw?

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
1,305 Posts
Hi Simdash,

I would agree with dannyboy, initally, but looking at the picture theres not much to get hold of...
I don't know what torque the bolt would have been tightened to, but I think i;'d try getting a centre punch onto the side of the bolt and tapping round.
If that dosn;t work you could try a hacksaw blade in from the side, you'd probably destroy the casing, probably best to source a new casing or check out what they cost first
Once the head is off the bolt you should be able to lift the casing off the bolt and get some grips on the remainder of the bolt and wind out
Good luck mate

·
Registered
98 Posts
weld on a nut.

or get an allen key one size to small and fill the bolt with super glue and let your allen key set inside the glue, this only works if the bolt inst too tight.

spray some penetrating oil on the bolt everyday for about a week, and freeze it with some cold spray before you try to unscrew and then that will make it easier to remove.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
As mentioned above, I would approach that with a long, skinny, sharp chisel and use a heavy lump hammer to get the initial movement. It's on the block so once turning, it should unscrew with your fingers. Good luck!

Or drop the ball joint and slide the driveshaft out the way to gain access to force another torx-socket in there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for the advice everyone

I do not have a welder in my inventory currently (on my christmas list) so may have to go with trying to get a slot/flat on the side to hit with a hammer or get a grip on.

As mentioned above, I would approach that with a long, skinny, sharp chisel and use a heavy lump hammer to get the initial movement. It's on the block so once turning, it should unscrew with your fingers. Good luck!

Or drop the ball joint and slide the driveshaft out the way to gain access to force another torx-socket in there.
I thought this last point as a last resort but the less I have to disassemble with this, the less problems I will cause! :LOL:

·
Registered
2019 Mk8 Fiesta ST-3 Mountune m260
133 Posts
Some other ideas that may (or may not) help:
  • If there's enough of the Torx head left, try tightening it to get the thread moving before trying to wind it back out.
  • If you use the freezer spray, try warming the engine up then concentrate the freezer spray on just the screw as much as possible.
  • File a straight edge on the screw head to make it easier to hit (with a punch it screwdriver) or grip onto
  • Depending how bad the head is, you may be able to get a larger (cheap/disposable) Torx bit and hammer it into the head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts