Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2019 Mk8 Fiesta ST-3 Mountune m260
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing this in the brochure when I was ordering my mk8, and thought it would be nice to be able to switch it off/disable it and enjoy the real sound of the car.

I'd kind of put it to the back of my mind until today when I read about Ferrari adding electronic engine sounds to their new electric cars (without doubt, the saddest story I've read so far this year).

Is it possible? If so, how can I do it?

· Registered
2,627 Posts
I remember seeing this in the brochure when I was ordering my mk8, and thought it would be nice to be able to switch it off/disable it and enjoy the real sound of the car.

I'd kind of put it to the back of my mind until today when I read about Ferrari adding electronic engine sounds to their new electric cars (without doubt, the saddest story I've read so far this year).

Is it possible? If so, how can I do it?
it looks doable. The information in this thread and the thread linked within might help

· Premium Member
Fiesta ST Edition
1,485 Posts
I have done this in Forscan, there is a small noticeable difference in normal driving in any drive mode.

But overall I think it muted the in cabin pops a little and when listening to music it doesn't have this oddness to it that I couldn't put my finger on until I turned off the fake sounds.

· Registered
574 Posts
As Twiddle mentions, it's easy to do via Forscan. I turned it off as I was of the same opinion as you. I wanted to hear the 'real' sounds of the car but to my surprise I ended up turning it back on as I found the car a little quiet.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It'll be interesting to see how much difference it makes.. I'm not into pops and bangs too much anyway - if a car does them naturally then that's fine, but either way I think I might prefer to have the live version rather than the remix.. 😆 I could be wrong and it's very possible I'll miss it (and end up just switching it back on)..

I've been looking at getting a USB ODB2 adapter that works with Forscan - has anyone got any recommendations? There are a few cheap ones on Amazon that would probably do the trick, but is there anything in particular I should watch out for?

· Premium Member
Fiesta ST Edition
1,485 Posts
Mine was a generic cheap one from Amazon, it works fine. But you do have to download Forscan to a laptop ideally, as that links via the OBD device.

It's simple enough to use once you understand what you are looking at and where to find the perimeter you want to change.
You can either pay for a subscription to Forscan or use a 3 month free licence.
I have changed the rear lights to be on with the DRLs and turned off the fake engine sounds.
There's loads of other things but mainly for adding features to lower spec cars.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet someone with more tech knowledge than myself created, I found on a Forscan forum and it's very useful.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine was a generic cheap one from Amazon, it works fine. But you do have to download Forscan to a laptop ideally, as that links via the OBD device.

It's simple enough to use once you understand what you are looking at and where to find the perimeter you want to change.
You can either pay for a subscription to Forscan or use a 3 month free licence.
I have changed the rear lights to be on with the DRLs and turned off the fake engine sounds.
There's loads of other things but mainly for adding features to lower spec cars.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet someone with more tech knowledge than myself created, I found on a Forscan forum and it's very useful.

Thanks, I've just ordered one from Amazon..

I have a spare (old) laptop hanging around so I'll set that up for garage use. The Forscan license seems cheap enough at £12 a year, but I'll give it a try with the trial first. That Excel spreadsheet looks like it'll be really useful - thanks for posting a link to it! 😀👍

· Registered
574 Posts
Thanks, I've just ordered one from Amazon..

I have a spare (old) laptop hanging around so I'll set that up for garage use. The Forscan license seems cheap enough at £12 a year, but I'll give it a try with the trial first. That Excel spreadsheet looks like it'll be really useful - thanks for posting a link to it! 😀👍
Buying a license isn't really necessary. The trial extended license will last for 3 months and you can just re-apply for it.

· Registered
248 Posts
As l understand things it isn’t a false or electronically induced sound.
Its actually engine noise from under the bonnet amplified into the cars speaker system.
Here’s a thought….. does it sound different through B&O as opposed to the standard system?

· Super Moderator
30,731 Posts
No, the Mk8 is 'fake' sounds played via the speakers.

The Mk7 had a sound symposer system, which was a diaphragm on the induction system which physically funneled the live/actual sound into the cabin.

· Registered
248 Posts
No, the Mk8 is 'fake' sounds played via the speakers.

The Mk7 had a sound symposer system, which was a diaphragm on the induction system which physically funneled the live/actual sound into the cabin.
If it is fake then it’s ’kin good as no delay or anything to what you hear in cabin or with your window open.
Does it not work with the audio switched off then?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts