Fiesta ST Forums banner
261 - 280 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Its always best to try avoid the problems in the first place. Would it fit on the passenger side chassis leg?
It may just fit there, although im thinking of possibly routing the air filter and piping down behind the passenger fog light, meaning even more space is lost!!
its likely to sit in front of the gearbox from first glance, a bit of trail and error I think is needed.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Where the condenser unit and stuff was bolted to... Make a bracket so it sits in its place. Gets good airflow aswel not that its really needed though. You have got rid of AC havn't you?
Ive been the odd one out in that department, im keeping the A/C. As the a/c takes up a bit of useful space, its one of the reasons ive gone for the cooler I have, as I dont need to find a spot with air flow. So hopefully the cooler will sit in a bit of unuseful space, I just need to find where that is! lol

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Didn't realise its been so long since i last updated this!

Ok, Ive not been able to spend huge chunks of time on the car, just the odd hour here and there when I could, but its come along slowly.

There are are only a few small niggly things now to sort out, then hopefully it will run!

I haven't got many pics unfortunately,

Little breather pot

Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Automotive fuel system Rim

As it stands under the bonnet

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Fuel system, battery relocation

Hood Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car

Attachments

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
I thought I should give a bit of an update.

To be honest I completely fell out of love with the car. The time, money and energy involved in the project just got too much.

I really didnt want to sell the car, as Ive had it from new (10 years in april) but just couldn't motivate myself to do any work on it, a big dilemma! So I shut down the garage door and left it, where it remained for 4 months untouched and unloved.

I got on with some small projects around the house, got a fish tank (nice and therapeutic watching them swim about lol) until recently i had the desire to have another crack at the whole car thing.

Long story short IT RUNS!!!

Now it is still quite away from being back on the road, but hearing it purr (well roar as it has no exhaust) reminds me of why I started the project years ago, and im hoping it is nothing but uphill from here :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Full credit to you for not throwing in the towel, sounds a beast!

I've been there a number of times mate and recently, ST is coming up to 7 yrs of ownership.

Keep going and at least finish and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Hi guys and girls, so if anyone remembers this welcome back! For those who are new hello!
So a quick recap, This did get back up and running, but got used very little, It made 340bhp on the rollers, but it had so many little niggles I just didn't enjoy using it.
The main issue i was having was with the engine management, me and it were just not compatible it seems! I also had a bit more lag than I was hoping for, so the car sat for a while, unloved.

Fastforward until 2019, I had a urge to revive the old beast, so the management and wiring got ripped out it in went the new in the form of LINK G4+,
Now this was Night and day difference, showed how far the technology had moved on! The car still had issues, but now it was easy to see where the problems were, and had half an idea of how to fix them!

So in 2021 I got carried away, and basically torn the whole thing apart and started again. some things got tweaked, some things removed and others just redone from scratch.

There are soo many thing changed at this point that I wouldnt know where to start, Ill post some pictures of some of them to give you an idea of the basics.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive tire

Bulk head was cut out for extra clearance (it was welded back up), Brake pipes relocated out of the way, fuel regulator moved

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior

Lots of heat shielding

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Alternator relocated the the front, I had a couple fail. I wondered if it was the heat from the turbo, so played it safe, but with more space behind the engine I did this...

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood

I completely remade the turbo setup, with a change a slightly smaller turbo housing aswell, I am not looking for more power, just more response. and i just like to make things i guess!

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car Automotive air manifold

This is how it sits in the bay, and the reason for that heat shielding! You can also see some honda coil packs and a custom mounting plate, this bay is not final, but gives a good idea!

Automotive tire Wheel Hood Motor vehicle Car

Bigger intercooler, and modified front panel to allow as much air flow as it can.

Some things have even been changed since these pics as well, but its all progress in the right direction.
Any questions just ask and ill try to explain, and ill try to keep this thread a bit more upto date!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Made up a new oil catch tank, much smaller than the old one. The engine never did breathe too heavily so I have tried to re-claim some space. I have made it with a baffled lid, and probably spent way too much time on it but im happy with it.
As its almost half the height now the bracket it bolts too is now used for other fittings and various sensors making it multi functional.
It is 95% done, just need a few other things in place before I can complete it.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

For anyone who may be interested, I have also been documenting all the new changes to this version of the build on youtube, the good bad and ugly (mainly refering to my welding!)
Mainly just me waffling on trying to put my ideas into practice. So if you a curious to how I made this box, or other things Ive done, then check it out.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Few little things done, sorted out all the turbo intake pipe parts, using basically left over bits and pieces, new mounting brackets welded on.

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

Modified the gear selector bracket that bolts to the gearbox, just to allow for better cable angles, the gear selector lever itself with be modified at a later date to suit.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Gear selector bracket and the bracket that fits above the gearbox mount have been painted up after all the modifications they have had to them.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive design Bumper

261 - 280 of 289 Posts