Fiesta ST Forums banner
281 - 289 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
Found a leak from my clutch line, the one buried behind all the heat shielding! Almost thought the engine was coming back out just to get to it!!
It was a poorly made adapter (Only myself to blame on that one!) which converts the clutch line into AN braided lines.
So made a new one up, a lot of time wasted on one little part, but hopefully now wont happen again!!

Gas Auto part Fastener Gun accessory Nickel

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
I made up some new engine mount brackets. Before I had a bit of a mix match of different pieces and rubber types, so at least now both the left and the right are matching vibra-technics.
Ive used 6mm steel, which might be a bit much, but I had a choice of that or 2mm steel in the garage, so saved buying some.
The lower dog bone unit is actually from a Dacia, it was dirt cheap so cost less than the materials to make one, and has small, fairly solid bushes. I will have to see how it holds up to the torque over time.
To note, I am running a mtx75 gearbox, so that's why I have had to make these brackets.

Bicycle part Font Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Shame I didn't let the paint fully harden off, nice big chips first install lol!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 · (Edited)
Ok so have got a fair bit done recently. Not got pictures of everything, its not all interesting, but here it is.
Ive changed some of the coolant pipework to aluminium pipe for better routing and less joins in the silicone pipe, so less failure points.
I have made up new alternator and starter motor wiring, including a bulk head fitting to get the cable into the car for the relocated battery.
Ive also made a common ground point for the main engine earths, I did this to be able to run a cable to the battery if needed.
Remade one of the boost pipes to line them up better.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Fender

Got PAS return line re routed, cut to size and secured.
Got the air filter located and mounted just behind the front bumper, I may look at a cold air feed in the future, but should be fine for now.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part

I got all the front panel, radiator and intercooler all fitted up, and plumbed in, and pretty much put most things back in the engine bay.

Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

I made some slight changes to the coil pack holder to both make it easy to work on, and also to secure turbo oil and water lines.

Light Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold Gas

I even manage to get the car off the the axle stands for the first time in near a year! so pushed it outside and gave it a quick clean.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

There was a lot of brackets, securing wires and things like that done, so now the engine bay is 95% done. The cowling, wipers, strut brace etc have been left off as it will be easier to do the wiring with it all removed.

And that covers most of it.
Currently I am working on the gear lever. The old setup I had basically meant the trim surround wouldnt fit, and with the modifications I made to the selector bracket, it wouldnt work without modification anyway. So the plan is to use a standard gear lever and modify that, along with the cables, to make everything work. That way I can get the standard interior trim fitted back in to make it look better on the inside.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
So after letting my mind run away with various ideas, I decided to keep things simple in terms of getting a working gear stick.
So the plan was to used the standard gear lever, so everything fits again, and then to fabricate something to attach to the ends of the cables that will in turn fit into the lever.
So this is basically what i came up with.

Gas Bumper Bicycle part Wood Rim

The long collars allow the cable to move straight in and out, where as the old setup would allow the inner cable to bend a bit. The setup also allows for plenty of adjustment.
The cable outer casing fits snugly into the end and just a simple bolt to lock it into place.

I was going to take a picture of it all fitted, but this happened...

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Automotive battery

During this version of the build lots of wiring has made its way back into the cabin, as its going to have a massive overhaul.
So thats my next job!!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
So I have been working on the wiring as and when I get a spare bit of time.
Not finished yet, but I thought Id give a little update.

Started be cleaning up all the wiring in the footwell, removing all the unwanted bits and pieces and labelling what was left. Huge improvement over what it was!

Green Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Technology Automotive design

Then I made a secondary fuse/relay board, this will mostly just run the engine and related components, fans, fuel pump etc. Not all relays are being used, but has room for growth.

Audio equipment Electrical wiring Tool Electronic instrument Electronic component

Then tried to get everything located in behind the glove box. that will also include the small fuse box that would have originally been mounted on the battery.

Electrical wiring Trunk Audio equipment Circuit component Computer hardware

The glovebox will need trimming off of the bottom to fit back in, But it will still be a perfectly usable size, which is what I was after.
Hopefully will have a good amount of time over this weekend to get a large amount knocked out, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Nice work.

Seems it's not such a simple task of just bolting on a turbo if it's done properly.
Thanks, Im know there are simpler ways to do some of the things Ive done, But Im enjoying just toying around with different ideas, and going with whatever I think will work or even just interesting to make.
Good in theory, interested to know what it will be like in practice!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
Thought I better give an update, very long story short, I had issues with the power supply. It was an issue with the fuse holder that tripped me up. but by the time I had found the problem, this had happened.....

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

So yeah, well anyway, I then used the opportunity to make it better, so I bought a complete fuse box from a scrap car, robbed it of its relay blocks, wiring pins for the fuses etc etc, and used the spare slots in the standard fuse box to make one complete item.

Motor vehicle Vehicle door Vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior

Looks a lot less cluttered!! And I wont even need to modify the glovebox! (its the little wins!)

So anyway with that sorted, I moved onto the Instrument cluster,

Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Its a Link MXG Dash, Im still learning the software, and it has way more customisation that ill probably ever use! But Its been on my wish list for a while.

Now it just a case of rebuilding everything, writing a base map, and seeing if it will start!!
From there, depending how the start goes, I will get it ready for its MOT, few minor things needed including Sports cat and a rear fog light warning.
Then I can get about doing some mapping and seeing if this whole thing Has been worth it!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Well its finally back on the road!!
So after everything it started up very little effort, which was a massive relief! I had some sensor calibrations to adjust, and had to switch polarity to the trigger sensors, but after that it ran really well.
Annoyingly after a got it running I had a couple of minor leaks, one from a new alloy coolant tank that Ive had for a while but not used, it was leaking from the sight glass, the other was from the turbo oil supply feed, both luckily easy fixes by fitting some new washers.
From there I got the other bits done to get it road worthy, and put it through its MOT.

Since then I have driven it a few times, mainly just to dial in the fuel map, but so far the car is night and day different to how it used to be!
The turbo is more responsive, gear selection actually feels positive, the car just feels better all round really, so far I am extremely pleased with it, it was definitely worth the time to rebuild it.

There are still some things I need to address, I need to sort out some ducting for the interior heater intake to help with the lovely engine smells, along with making the car water tight so it doesnt need to live in the garage and I can get my next project in there!
I may also look into a new clutch down the line, but for now Ill drive it and avoid traffic jams where I can lol

As it stands now, all I need to do is drive it and continue to map it, it is only on wastegate spring pressure at the moment the most Ive seen is about 10psi, and thankfully so far not signs of boost creep, which I was worried about with the manifold design, I monitor it with more boost.

But to be honest its just good to be able drive it again, making all those lovely turbo noises!!

281 - 289 of 289 Posts