Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Evening FSTOC Members,

As some of you may know i have had a bumpy past 2 months with my ST. To start if off my car went for a full service at a Ford dealership in which they forgot to put oil in, in other words a new oil filter but no oil! My engine light eventually came on and i found out i had done around 220 miles without oil. Took the car back to the Ford garage who said sorry for the failure to put oil in and topped it up free of charge, however i was also experiencing a knocking noise coming from the engine bay.

The Ford dealership told me to run the car about with the new oil and the after X amount of miles the noise will stop becuase the oil should have run to the areas that it needs to go. So i did that and after 150 miles it was still making a noise ( even louder ). So i took it back and paid £500 ( yes £500 ) for them to strip out the engine to find out what the problem is, the response was ' we couldnt find anything'. To my despair i was charged £500 for nothing and still had an ST which makes a cranking noise over 3000 rpm.

After realising what absolute no hopers my local ford garage was i decided to take it to a local garage a few miles from me who was trustworthy, after stripping the engine out he said the Camshaft, Rodends ( sp?) and Crankshaft all needed replacing ( due to running dry of oil ) and that the engine needed to be sent away to the Ford blue oval team. After waiting a month and a whole new engine - £2k later - i was back on the road at the beginning of May.

The ECU hasn't been reset as my mileage was still the same @ 20,054 which isn't a problem but the two problems i face at the minute are the rev meter 'hunting' Im not sure if thats the right word for it but my revs seems to differ from below 1000 up to 1500. Ive been told the ECU should sort itself out but im concerned that it still does it. Whats the best way to sort this problem?

And secondly and the most important problem i need to sort out is another cranking noise, I will try and explain it the best way i can! The car starts up fine and goes into first gear with the normal sound effects, however when switching from gear one to gear two i hear a clanking noise if the revs go below 2500 rpm and the same when switching into fourth or fifth at low revs and it only does it when accelerating But what i have noticed is that when switching at high revs it doesn't make any clanking noise. My definition of a clanking noise is like two bits of metal rubbing together.

Im running the car on Shell V Power which i presume is the best fuel but still it makes a noise when changing gears low down in the rev range. I can only think that it has something to do with the cams again but after a £2k engine re-build im not a happy bunny.

Does anybody have any idea what could be making this noise? and any idea on how to sort the ECU out for the revs? Any help would be most appreciated! My ST is on a 2005 plate which at this moment in time has covered 21,254 miles if thats any help.

James,

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
im totaly amazed that ford even charged u after not putting oil into the car!!! its obvoulsy there fault.. u shud have went mental at them. totaly outrageous.. sorry i cant help with ur new problem tho.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im totaly amazed that ford even charged u after not putting oil into the car!!! its obvoulsy there fault.. u shud have went mental at them. totaly outrageous.. sorry i cant help with ur new problem tho.
I wasnt very happy Mark and my dad - who is quite a fiery character - had it out with them and they wouldnt do anything. So i managed to get trading standards involved but i haven't got a chance. Unless i physically watched them do the Oil change i have no leg to stand on, the ford garage said that had i checked the oil within 24 hour of the service then they would of 'investigated' the noise.

In a nutshell they totally screwed up and knew they had scewed up big time, And yes maybe i should of checked the oil after the service but after paying £250 for a service i would expect them to do it.

I could take it further but Solicitor costs and legal fee's are just too much and i can't justify putting my savings into it. Ive been told my the garage who rebuilt my engine to go back monday as they can sort out the out of balance revving. Some good news i suppose.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Ask on for no win no fee and use some money you get back in a claim for poor service. Thanks a shocker mate i would have them by the balls for that like.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Let them check that all the engine mounts and gearbox mounts are properly fastened. To me it sounds like a loose mount by your description. Seems like there is excessive engine movement when you change gears. Park the car and let idle, ask someone to rev it and look at the engine movement, it shouldn't rock more than 1-2 inches.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I am totally speechless after reading this,I even had to read It twice.

How the hell on earth they even charged you after
up Is beyond me.That Is the worst customer service EVER!

I work for VW and the Customer Service/Care Is second to none on the whole and you can alway's normally get "Goodwill" If that
happened at my work you would of had all work done (FOC) Free of charge and the Mechanic would of had his pant's pulled right down.

Also this happened at our work once with one of the mechanic's and the car didn't even run,It started and then cut out straight away!

That Is awful,I've read soooo many story's with service like this,They need to sort themself's out as that's not on at all.Customer Is No 1!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Whilst it is totally shocking and demonstrates total incompetence, unfortunately legally speaking it would be a very difficult case to prove / prosecute / rule against.

Have you written a letter to Ford H/O explaining the situation?

Did Ford admit not filling it with oil? Did you get this in writing?

Gutted for you.

·
Registered
649 Posts
mate if this had happend to me i would take it too watchdog & the press,get in touch with them see what they say.good luck.

·
Registered
500 Posts
mate if this had happend to me i would take it too watchdog & the press,get in touch with them see what they say.good luck.
thats a good call, I say get them to fork out for the rebuild mate... get in touch with head office managers etc if you can. there has to be someone within the company who'll realise what poor service you got and be willing to back your case til you get money back. surely It would have been cheaper to buy a new engine block though? and just have it put in?

worst come to worst I say fill your hands full of keys and go for a "walk" through thier forecourt! lol revenge is a sweet thing

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
watchdog or someone similar is best, they will soon pay-up when it goes public, that is shocking mate really, i wouldnt have that engine after its done that many miles with no oil in....... surely the light come on to say it was low? :S

·
Registered
396 Posts
Can i ask what dealer ship it was that you got your service done at?

Although you say you've been to trading standards, and they say you've got no leg to stand on, i can gaurentee there is enough evidence that Ford have F****D up big time!
For a start your vehicle will be on there records for your service!
Next there will be records of your vehicle booked in with a knocking noise! On this job they will have to book out any parts used ie: 4.5 litres of oil! This is evidence that on the service the oil was not filled up!

Second, Due to the damage done, and also the dealer telling you to drive and the noise will go away. Any repairs you have consequently had to have done, will have to be paid for in full by the dealer.
Another thing is i would claim compensation on them telling you the noise will go away. as they know this is not the case and never will be the case. once the damage is done no amount of oil will fix worn away metal!

Obviously you will have to go to a small claims court if your not willing to pay for a lawyer, but you have got enough evidence to get your money back!

Im no lawyer but if you can provide your invoices for all your work carried out, ie service and engine rebuild i would be happy to help in any way i can.

·
Mike Goodman Motorsport
794 Posts
I would say that the new noise is the same many of us get when changing gear and is nothing to worry about. Had a few people mentioning what you described.

Regarding Ford not putting oil in, if they told you that then they should foot the bill for the new engine. They've admitted it, so I dont see why they wont.

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
thats unreal i work for hendy ford and im not gonna lie ocassionaly this does happen but it is always owned up to and all the costs are covered by the dealership we just apoligize for any inconvinece and install a new engine ALL FREE OF CHARGE cant believe they made u pay if it ever happens to any of you and the dealership denies responsibility get them to strip the engine and inform you when it is in pieces then get an independent engineer to make a report of the findings then go straight to trading standards with the results they will get all your money back you payed for the strip and the engineers report and make the dealership carry out the neccesary repair trust me you will win!! was the dealership a small company franchise by any chance??

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
ford admitted the mistake so there you go, if you've handed over more money then you've lost out. i would have left the car there tbh, and then phoned head office. talking to dealerships with matters like this will get you no where.

p.s no one checks the oil within 24 hours after a £250 service at a ford dealership. they've had you over big time.

name and shame these muppets!!!

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
^ It does sound like a nasty situation, though I fear that now you've handed over the money and have had your engine done elsewhere the chances of getting any kind of compensation etc are very slim

be good if some legal expert could help you, might be worth perusing mate? pepipoo.com forums would be worth a post

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That's disgusting service! It's worth chasing this one just to say you've tried! I wouldn't want to look back and think 'what if...'

In terms of handing the money over, just say the vehicle was needed for work etc to live, you couldn't afford not to have a working car at the time.

I hope it all pays off if you do chase this though.

Jack

·
"Fifi LaRoo"
12,307 Posts
Have you considered pursuing the dealership through a Small Claims Court for the works you had to have carried out? I would seriously consider this and inform HQ of your intentions too because I doubt they would take too kindly to a franchisee doing this to customers cars

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'd of gone way crazy, they screwed up so they should be fitting another engine or repairing yours free of charge, makes me laugh how many of these garages are basically run by idiots who will worm there way out of anything, they should always bend over backwards to make the customer happy especially with the way things are right now these places need all the custom they can get!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts