Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this car:

http://www.nmjmotorhouse.co.uk/used_car_ford_fiesta_hatchback_4581.htm

However, I just got home and ran a check over it and it says it has had a colour change. Is this a problem? Looking at it again after this it looks like it was black.

Look at photo seven here:
http://www.clickedit.co.uk/enlargephotos.asp?baseurl=www.nmjmotorhouse.co.uk&Car_ID=4581&Car_ID=4581&Photo1=6859666.JPG&Photo2=6859667.JPG&Photo3=6859668.JPG&Photo4=6859669.JPG&Photo5=6859670.JPG&Photo6=6859671.JPG&Photo7=6859672.JPG&Photo8=6859673.JPG

The sides of the boot don't look painted. Other than that you can't tell, engine bay is white, however, there is slight overspray on the grilles (Which doesn't bother me as I was going to paint them black anyway but suggests they were not removed before painting)

What do you guys think? I haven't signed any finance papers yet.

Thanks

Ashley

(P.s it is getting a new grille, new towing eye cover and new jack point covers - new and painted)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
the bits on the boot are plastic, thats the surrounding of the light unit....

i think some of the white fiestas with stripes were originaly registerd as blue for some reason..... but ill let some1 else confirm this

·
Registered
504 Posts
That's going to a lot of trouble if its had a fully body change (including engine bay). If the dealer can confirm it's been resprayed, I'd want to know exactly why, as it would be alot cheaper to just sell your ST and buy a white one!

Have you got a HPI check on the vehicle?! I'd suggest doing that for piece of mind?

Sparky

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I can't tell if it is overspray or where polish has gone onto the plastics and turned it White in spots...it's hard as they both look same.

I get a full hpi from the dealer when I pick it up but I am going back Friday to have another look and proper test drive.

I am taking someone with me too so if they say no I'll get my deposit back and go elsewhere!

·
Registered
504 Posts
That can happen a lot actually, when you're polishing the car, getting extra on the plastics and grills and it will turn white!

That's good about the HPI check, hope the test drive goes well and just ask up straight about if its had a respray.

It's hard not to get drawn in on the occasion of buying a new car and knowing the right time to walk away if something doesn't seem rite! There's a lot of clean looking ST's out there so hold of for the best mate!

Sparky

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
You should be able to notice the diffrence between Overspray & Polish....

I would get The/A HPI Check BEFORE you buy the car that way you'll save yourself load's of hassle If It turn's out to be a ringer.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the reply guys, I am going to ask to see the hpi check before I go any further.

Is there anything I can do to test the marks? Is there anything I can do which will take Polish off but not paint?

Tbh if it is resprayed....other than the grilles, it looks a decent job.

What's the worst case scenario (say it's had a head on bump - slight crack in grille - Being replaced - and a noisy powersteering - told he'll get it sorted before I pick the car up free of charge with a full service and new mot) what should I look for? All the panels match up well and no Obvious signs of impact under the bonnet.

Thanks, Ashley

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Get a HPI done and see what It say's....

If It come's back as being a CAT C then personally I would walk away.If It come's back as a CAT D then just have a good look around It and much sure evrything's as It should be and that It's had a good repair Etc.Even ask the guy selling It what damage It had Etc.If It come's
back ok then again just had a good look around It,If all Is well and your happy then buy It but If your not and you think something Isn't rightthen the chance's Is It wont be so walk away.There's that many of them around I wouldn't jump at the first one and then regret It!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome, I did a check on mytextcheck as a quick one and it has no record of damage or write off or having a VIC coompleted on it. It might just be me which is why I am taking someone for a second opinion. If it's not perfect I get concerned when it might be fine
I'll post up what happens

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
You want a proper hoi check done mate,check panel gaps,open the bonnet and check the crumple zone at the front..if it's had a bump the chassis legs will look different and you should be able to tell if it's been knocked.

You wana have a look under the car too.

Good so far,I would be careful though...don't wana buy trouble.

Lee

·
Registered
860 Posts
i'm confused. why would there be overspray on the grills?? they'd have to be removed for painting the bumper.

are you sure it isn't just polish?! as with the colour change, some whites with ott's were registered as blue for some reason, unsure why.

i think it's fine and your just worrying!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
To me it does not sound like colour change, as said before some frozen white cars where listed as blue for some reason and yes as Dan said if it was re-sprayed the grills would be removed.

HPI will sort it no doubt but to change the colour from blcak to white and have the bay even painted to match is alot of work and i have faith in that not being re-sprayed.

Good luck lad hope it turns out well for you.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers guys! Starting to sound a lot more promising!

What should I check with the powersteering (it was very noisy when turning and sounded like it was coming from the belts under the small yellow bottle near the front left of the engine bay)? He's said he will get it sorted but I just want to make sure it's not going to be a recurring problem.

Also what should i check with the gearbox? Is there anything that goes wrong often?

Thanks,

Ashley

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Check the fluid colour if its black check to see if there is metal filings in it. This indecates its not in good nick. The power steering is a very common problem on the cars as its a poor design from ford and tends to over heat causing damage. If not looked after properly mean the whole system could need replacing. Had this happen on my old frozen white car and was fixed under warrinty. They do become loud after hard driving but it is normal to have a noisy pump.

Im not to sure on the gearbox though mate i personally have never had an issue with either of my ST's but i know some members have on higher milage cars.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome cheers. What fluid am I checking? What bottle?

My gf said she heard a whine while driving. Gearbox?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Its the power steering fluid at the front of the engine on the left hand side of the inlet manifold. It has i picture of a steering wheel on it mate.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers buddy that's where the noise is coming from! I'm guessing if it's black walk away?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Well get the dealer to have it fixed tell him to check the whole system to cue the problem. Its common problem so its not a major worry but make sure its fixed before you drive the car off the lot. If it gets sorted i would for sure not walk away from a clean example of a frozen white car mate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts