Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres one small problem i seem to have when driving my ST, and that is accurately modulating brake pressure at low to very low speeds, some times at low speeds the brakes seem almost all or nothing, i keep almost doing emergency stops when i only want to pull up gently.

Is this normal, and is there anything to help with it.?

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Perhaps the system needs bleeding?
l recently had my brake fluid changed at 2nd service and the “feel” of the brake pedal is now much improved .
l didn’t find it an issue before l may add but it’s definitely better under your foot.

·
Registered
MK8 Fiesta ST 2018 M235
3,030 Posts
Have you really really cooked the brakes at any point. Because after they have gotten so hot that they smoke properly you will get a totally different feel when braking. I got mine properly hot and even the rim was warm and I don't think that they were that far off from catching fire (I did that with my tuned MK3.5 Focus ST). They currently feel that they lack a bit of that first bite sharpness but they still slow the car down. Might go away, might not if for example you happen to hit a puddle with hot brakes like I did with my Ibiza Cupra back in the day and the pads/discs just didn't ever come back to what they were.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Theres one small problem i seem to have when driving my ST, and that is accurately modulating brake pressure at low to very low speeds, some times at low speeds the brakes seem almost all or nothing, i keep almost doing emergency stops when i only want to pull up gently.

Is this normal, and is there anything to help with it.?

Thanks
Ive had the same, expecially when I drive the car from cold, the brakes can just bite with little peddle pressure.
Once driven for a few minutes everything's good then on mine.
Maybe it's the material the pads are made of...

·
Super Moderator
23,595 Posts
Mk7 was (is) the same. The servo assistance is quite off the rails at low speeds.

I remember test driving a Mk7 and just tapping on the brakes whilst crawling out of the forecourt in 1st and almost headbutting the wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I've not found this myself even with upgraded discs and pads.

Though I do drive in very thin soled shoes which do help to modulate the pedals. If anything I find the brakes need a firm shove when cold but once up to temp there fine.

·
Premium Member
MK8 ST Edition
409 Posts
Mk7 was (is) the same. The servo assistance is quite off the rails at low speeds.

I remember test driving a Mk7 and just tapping on the brakes whilst crawling out of the forecourt in 1st and almost headbutting the wheel.
I remember when the wife road tested the RS and this happened, I laughed a lot... Then did the exact same when I jumped in it! :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you really really cooked the brakes at any point. Because after they have gotten so hot that they smoke properly you will get a totally different feel when braking. I got mine properly hot and even the rim was warm and I don't think that they were that far off from catching fire (I did that with my tuned MK3.5 Focus ST). They currently feel that they lack a bit of that first bite sharpness but they still slow the car down. Might go away, might not if for example you happen to hit a puddle with hot brakes like I did with my Ibiza Cupra back in the day and the pads/discs just didn't ever come back to what they were.
No never cooked them, i wouldn't even say ive had them red hot tbh.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for your replies, glad its not just me, and glad its not a problem.
Most of my driving is short journeys from cold, so that might be exaggerating it.

·
Registered
MK8 Fiesta ST 2018 M235
3,030 Posts

Oh I did exactly the same with my MK7. Jumping from an Ibiza Cupra with no feel and the fact that you really had to step on the brakes to get them to do something. Start the ST and headbut the wheel like you :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well I'm back from a short drive and I don't feel the brakes to be jumpy but I drive in thin soled shoes. Shift from 1st to 2nd is jerky on my car too and on most of the modern cars. You have to wait for the revs to drop or give it some gas before shifting but that's bad for the clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts

Yep, then car lurching forward on first gear change 🤣.

·
Premium Member
MK8 ST Performance Blue , TRS Stage 1
285 Posts
Mine does this too. At slow speeds they really bite and the car grinds to a halt. Not good if somebody is up behind you. My mrs is always blaming my driving. At least i can show her this thread now 🤣

·
Super Moderator
23,595 Posts
No. Hence this thread being a thing, because minimal brake input is overridden by assistance that is more than required and is hard to modulate due to its level of assistance varying day to day.

Then again, I've never had an issue closing my boot, so I guess we're all different.

;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts