Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, next stage for me is some lowering springs and spacers however Im confused and need some help as Ive never lowered a previous car before. Here is my predicament; in my Opinion the 35mm H&R are the best looking however I have heard the ride is uncomfortably bad? Also would it rub on the arches?
Mountune lowers the Front 28mm and Rear 20mm So Im not sure Id want the front looking lower than the back to be honest and its the rear I really wanted lowered anyway.
Eibach Pro-Kit 20mm Im still debating as Ive heard they are comfortable however I cant find any images of the ride height. I was wandering if possible would people be able to give me any advice or post pictures of there setup,

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I'm on H&R. If I got to choose again, I would not put them on. Looks great, but ride is terrible. Also, they do rub, but only when the car loaded up. I had 4 adults in the car and shopping, doing a U turn at a roundabout, the fronts rubbed. This was with stock wheels and tyre sizes.

I'm actually moving to coilovers because of my disappointment in them and lack of real world drivability.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm that's food for thought @alex98uk I will certainly bear that in mind, it's a weekend warrior anyway so no one really goes in it but the ride comfort would still play a big factor in it for me. I appreciate youve bought coilies now but if you were buying springs would you go mountune or Eibach pro kit route?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am the complete opposite, I have h&r on mine and I think the ride is quite good. I think it all depends on what you are used too, on my previous cars the last 2 have had coilovers so the ride on those was a lot worse.

If I was you, I would see if anyone was local to give you a ride in theirs. Horses for courses :smile:

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
but the ride comfort would still play a big factor in it for me.
That rules out H&R.

I was in same predicament a couple of years ago, I wanted to mellow out the ride slightly, I went for Eibach Pro Kit and they did exactly that.

Eibach Pro-Kit, Eibach Hubcentric Spacers, 20mm on rear and 15mm front with no rubbing.

eibach_springs.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@MarksST hmmm that does actually look surprisingly good, I know someone else who has the mountune kit but yours looks a lot lower than his for some reason.
@09_craig_09 yeah I've never had lowering springs before so would only be going on OEM experience, I live in Devon so there's no ST owners I know tbh, good to know though I do fancy the H&R but don't want them if there ridiculously uncomfortable or rub

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Darran that looks great tbh, very tempted with the Eibach now after seeing that as I'd planned to put spacers on too, sorry to be a pest but any chance of an image which shows the rear slightly better? Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
@Darran that looks great tbh, very tempted with the Eibach now after seeing that as I'd planned to put spacers on too, sorry to be a pest but any chance of an image which shows the rear slightly better? Thanks again
No worries mate, here you go:

eibach_2.jpg

eibach_3.jpg

eibach_4.jpg

Regarding Spacers, Eibach to a couple of systems, I have System "4".

20mm:

Eibach Part Code: S90-4-20-010

15mm:

Eibach Part Code: S90-4-15-007

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine sits lower on the front, was wondering can you buy just lower rear springs ?
Could do with lower ones at the back but the front is fine

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Hey, I've just had the h&r springs put on mine about 2 weeks ago and they've settled nicely! It looks great and handles a tad better.

As for comfort tbh they feel like stock springs to me only noticing it being stiffer going over bumps/pot holes and cornering, nothing that bad tbh but I am used to lowered cars and thought the stock springs was too sloppy around corners etc

As for rubbing, I've had non what so ever, and that is 2 people and my boot and back seat full of camping gear!! Used it on 2 camping trips now and no problems :)

I'm looking into spacers too spoken to pumabuild and they reckon 15mm will be a good choice, I'm thinking this or 20mm

Hope this helps

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks @Dan DC I went with Eibach pro-kit in the end though and will fill the arches out with 20mm Rear 15mm Front spacers after seeing @Darran pictures I wanted exactly what he had, thanks again though, I am sure h&r are great but I didn't want a harsh ride as I'm in the depths of Devon and I've heard Eibach actually improve the low speed ride

·
Registered
973 Posts
@MarkST3 I think you made the right decision. I have the same opinion as @alex98uk, I have the H&R and the ride quality is not good enough, they look great but they are a bit crashy. Funnily enough we have both gone for the same coilovers too!

·
Registered
95 Posts
must admit 15mm front and 20mm rear looks pretty good!

How does it affect the handling? with a 30mm wider track front and 40mm wider track rear?

I was gonna go go 15mm front and rear or 10mm front and rear spacers. I was worried about being to wide or having rubbing issues, I like to drive pretty damn hard on some challenging B-Roads. (all in legal limits)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fitted the H&R to mine on Sunday and I think the ride is fine? Yes it's a little stiffer over bumps but that is kinda the point of upgrading the springs. So far I'm really impressed with them. Hopefully having the front alignment done on Saturday so will be able to give further feed back after.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Fitted the H&R to mine on Sunday and I think the ride is fine? Yes it's a little stiffer over bumps but that is kinda the point of upgrading the springs. So far I'm really impressed with them. Hopefully having the front alignment done on Saturday so will be able to give further feed back after.
Wait until you hit a big pothole. I was worried the car would fall apart.

H&R for me was great at first, but I really dislike them now. Feeling every single bump has worn me down

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Might be a bit late to the party, but I have Mountune springs on my 63 plate ST. I have found that they have improved the ride quality a fair bit along with also making the car look better and also handle a touch better. What I don't like is that after just 10000 miles they are covered in rust almost to the extent I am going to change them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts