Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals was wondering if anyone could help me out?!

recently i have been hearing a clunking noise coming from the front of my car, and its started to spread throughout the middle of the car..

its quite a hard noise to describe, its only when i start my car up and pull away, it could be happening all the time but cause of the exhaust i cant hear it past 2nd gear.
the noise if you can imagine is like a 'dumm dumm dumm' noise, in like a circular motion, almost as if a bearing or rotation of a part makes the noise once it goes past the point.
its strange because i got my local garage to have a look under the car and they cant see anything visually wrong

Itsa B**** cause i am soo close to purchasing the mountune C.A.I.S system, but really need this problem solving first i feel :(

Any help is muuuuch appreciated!

Dale

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Have you got a 4-2-1 brnach on perhaps? Mine made a similar noise nad I found it was knocking on the cross member just after the 2nd lambda sensor. Removed that and noise was gone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh sometimes i wish i knew what on earth you guys were going on about ! :( i honestly couldnt anwser that question mate! only really just started learning about cars and what not, just dont wanna take it to another garage and get
over for something that i dont need fixing and doesnt solve it!

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
if its the standard exhaust it almost rules that out as a problem. It could be a broken exhaust hanger (more likely with heavier aftermarket exhaust though) or it could be the lower engine mount thats perished... especially if it happens when the car starts.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
My exhaust hanger broke even with a standard exhaust and everytime I started the car up I could hear it clunking on the black bar that is underneath the car.

When I changed gear from 1st to second it would make the same noise, maybe once or twice depending but did it more at lower revs but once the car got going it wouldn't do it anymore...

Does the sound comes from what sounds like a central point of the car next to you when seated in the car?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Overlag - ive had brand new engine mounts put in to try to stop the problem but that hasn't done anything..

@ DaveS - yes it sounds exactly where, the central point in the car, probably directly underneath the dash? but also sometimes further towards the front of my car also... what do you rekon that could mean replacing? would it be easy enough for me to do rather than a mechanic charging major sums of money?

cheers for the help guys

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Mine sounded like it came from near the gearstick area. My exhaust hanger had broken clean off so all we did was weld the exhaust hanger bak on to the floor of the car. Have a look underneath the car and you might see the exhaust hanger broken. Be easier if you could jack the car up and have a look. If it's not that, then I have no idea what it could be

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok il have a look at it soon, bloody raining at the moment and there is no way im lying on the wet floor under my car ha! il get back too you if i see the problem or not

thanks for the help again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts