Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Hi all,

Thought I'd make a very brief build thread. It'll pretty much be a photo dump in relative order.
Providing fiestastoc accepts my file sizes. I'll write a description as and when.

I first strted by getting myself a donor engine and making up a wooden plate to mount the supercharger. Just as an initial guide.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Gas Automotive tire

I then split the engine apart (only needing the head), and left the head to soak overnight to decoke it.

Automotive tire Gas Engineering Machine Automotive wheel system

I then collected a rebored block (+0.5mm) with keywayed crank, low comp forged internals, high volume oil pump and arc sump baffle from a member on here ( CarmineUK ) for a price I just couldn't turn down.

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

I removed the pistons and rods as they were due to be sold. The pistons being low comp was no use to me with a supercharged build and selling just the pistons on their own would have taken significantly longer. Photo'd bellow is a forged piston next to an oem piston from the donor block.

Light Automotive lighting Gas Auto part Wood

Thats all for now, until I can find a way to make my photos from my camera 10 times smaller in size so they will upload on here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Ooooooookay looks like the image resizer i used has worked a treat.

Here's another photo of the low comp pistons, as you can see the inward domed top would lower the compression ratio to around 9:1. Whereas I want to remain at around the oem CR to keep that low down response.

Drinkware Tin Dishware Serveware Tableware

While i was waiting for the new internals to arrive i started to clean up and port the head. This would have been the 4th ST150 head I've ported with previous attempts giving relatively good feedback. I modelled previous heads off of an AL Developments head, imitating sizing and finish. With mine I went a bit further.

Motor vehicle Wood Rim Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

Wood Engineering Auto part Metal Automotive wheel system

I don't have any photos of the finished ports sadly, only progress shots

With the head skimmed and valves lapped in, the head was complete for now.

Automotive engine gasket Engineering Auto part Gas Machine

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Once all the goodies had arrived I could really get stuck in.

Wiseco oversized 88mm pistons and K1 rods arrived. once assembled and the ring gap checked they were ready to go in accompanied by some king big end bearings.

I don't have any images of when I removed the crank and replaced the mains bearings and fixings. But it now has King mains bearings and ARP maind fixings.

Food storage containers Wood Ingredient Packaging and labeling Packing materials

Hand Drinkware Fluid Finger Liquid

Automotive tire Wood Cookware and bakeware Plumbing fixture Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive air manifold Vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
So i was umming and arring as to how I was gong to go about having a dipstick, as the eaton sc sits directly above it. I tried bending the oem dipstick tube to shape, but it was just too tight of a bend to make it practical. I tried digital sender units from oem cars, they worked really well but it would display 1 bar difference between min and max. Which just isn't good enough. Eventually I discovered that the mk3 mx5 uses a 2L duratec (same block) and uses an internal dipstick. So I ordered a cam cover and dipstick. The next step once they'd arrived was to drill a 7mm vertical hole through the head into the oil gallery (sounds worse than it is).

Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Machine Wood

Automotive tire Light Composite material Auto part Gas

Once complete the head was cleaned off and ready to go. (don't worry the head was completely grease free from being dipped after skimming and the head was bagged off whilst drilling so swarf didn't go everywhere)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I then ported the Eaton and rebuilt it with new bearings/seals/oil.

Tire White Wheel Automotive tire Light

Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

Helmet Wood Bicycle part Rim Gas

More goodies arrived

Sports equipment Motor vehicle Gadget Gas Electronic device

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Head, block and charger were given a clean up and a lick of paint.

ARP head studs were fitted, head gasket then head bolted up.

cam cover sprayed silver then red with anodised paint for something a little different.

sump and baffle cleaned up.

Automotive design Machine Event Gas Auto part

Gas Automotive design Font Auto part Engineering

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior

fitted up the timing kit.

Automotive tire Shotgun Bicycle part Auto part Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Toy Machine

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Engineering

finished engine just needing axillaries bolted on

mk3 focus rs water pump.

horizontal oil filter housing with sandwich plate and honeywell oil pressure sender.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
next was adapting the slam panel to suit running a civic ek half rad. I made a new lower brace to hold the rad in out of folded and bolted angle iron, the new lower brace giving me an inch or so more height to play with. The Eaton would work with the oem rad. I just didn't want hot air from the rad baking the charger and boost piping. so using a half rad gives me looooads of room.

Automotive tire Wood Computer cooling Automotive design Motor vehicle

As you can see I have the pas cooler on the left and the oil cooler on the right. The oil cooler is due to no longer using the oem coolant based oil cooler.

I completely forgot about the actual engine removal, bay spraying and engine fitting. Just imagine my next post was before this one... not that it really matters.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
So I had the engine out on a Friday evening after work and, a few hours and an extra set of hands and it was ready for prep and paint Saturday.

Saturday morning bright and early I got the marquee set up (temporary make shift spray booth to catch the spray dust).

I spent most of the morning removing rust on the nearside mount and chassis leg. then it was onto etch priming.

once etched it had a light coat of primer then a few coats of moondust silver. Didn't fancy anything flashy.

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Then 3 coats of Lechler lacquer.

Motor vehicle Plant Hood Automotive design Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Then it was Sunday, time for the new engine to go in.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Camshaft Bumper

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

I then wired in the battery relocation and the front end could go back on (oem rad for running in)

Car Vehicle Plant Hood Grille

The car at this point was running NA for running in. this gave me a chance to confirm the alignment on the sc pulley was spot on. No belt wear was caused during running in. the sc was wired in, just not switched on. I used the oem rad so i didn't have too many unknown variables. But thankfully it all went very smoothly. The only thing that needed doing was the sc bracket needed remaking in thicker material to alleviate vibrations and i added an extra pulley for more belt to sc pulley surface area for good measure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So that's the bulk of it in little to no detail. Since fitting and running in I have opted for an Ecumaster emu black standalone ecu. This is just the start and as the car sat, it was on the limits of the oem ecu as far as safety cuts.

So now it has been road tuned in great depth by brands hatch performance.

The car goes very very well. drives incredibly smoothly when cruising. and goes like a stabbed rat when you push it. The ecu and tune is just perfection.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
So after running the car through the summer. When sitting in traffic it came to light that the cooling system could be better. So I've gone for a thicker rad, with a larger and more powerful spal fan and cowling. The rad has larger ports and in a quad core. It's a thicc boy.

Grille Wood Automotive exterior Gas Audio equipment

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Rim

I'll also be redoing the slam panel to utilise every last bit of useable moving air.
I also managed to blow the contents of my sports cat out the rear. So now have a mongoose decat to replace it. As it's obnoxiously loud as it sits now. Aaaaaaaand at the same time my oem Audi S3 recirc valve pooed itself and I happened to know someone selling a gfb dv+ criminally cheap. So it soon became a reliable new addition.

Automotive exhaust Muffler Wood Cylinder Bumper

Hand Finger Nail Cameras & optics Gas

I also found a local guy who prints fog light ducts which feeds the oil and pas coolers perfectly.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Tableware

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate

Attachments

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Man that is mint! Sounds the nuts.
Wish I had the money to do performance mods this year but my ST150 is being improved on the outside this year, did interior and engine bay bits since owning the car 3 months ago.
But seeing the work done to yours engine wise just makes me want to get myself to Jamsport and give it what i want ha.

If your interested I have a YouTube channel with my build.
Here is a link

https://youtube.com/c/DriveWithAndy

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very cool. Do you what power your running?
Sorry mate just saw this. I would hazard a guess at circa 250bhp at the moment given the boost pressure.
It was dyno tuned just to get a safe running map. Then was perfected over several days on the road. As that's where its used.
The boost pressure should be almost doubling in the summer providing I pull my finger out and rebuild the slam panel to suit the thicker rad.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts