Fiesta ST Forums banner
201 - 220 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
So this is kind of a 2 for 1 deal in the way of progress. I've been forbidden to work on my mk6. So I've been working on my fusion.

ST150 steering wheel
ST150 gear shifter and gaiter
Ford/Sony stereo
Mk6 steering column surround with volume control

Have all been fitted to the fusion. Once I have healed up a bit more and I can finish getting the dash out the mk6, I'll be swapping the Nokia Bluetooth module and mic too.

The mk6 will be having the heater matrix removed and the lower half of the dash removed.

A couple photos of both cabins for reference.

Car White Motor vehicle Automotive design Speedometer

Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
1,248 Posts
So this is kind of a 2 for 1 deal in the way of progress. I've been forbidden to work on my mk6. So I've been working on my fusion.

ST150 steering wheel
ST150 gear shifter and gaiter
Ford/Sony stereo
Mk6 steering column surround with volume control

Have all been fitted to the fusion. Once I have healed up a bit more and I can finish getting the dash out the mk6, I'll be swapping the Nokia Bluetooth module and mic too.

The mk6 will be having the heater matrix removed and the lower half of the dash removed.

A couple photos of both cabins for reference.

View attachment 588268

View attachment 588269
I'm not getting this: IS it more strenuos working on an ST than a fusion ?
and that air freshener is quatity - is it new ?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
I'm not getting this: IS it more strenuos working on an ST than a fusion ?
and that air freshener is quatity - is it new ?
Yes it is more strenuous to work on an ST. As working on the st means removing the dash.
Working on the fusion I could do from the comfort of the drivers seat. Literally plug and play kinda stuff.

ST is rewiring the entire front half of the car, removing the heater matrix and plumbing in a new ptfe braided fuel line.

The air freshener is by a skate shop called Tuesdays. I have 4 more. And a different one for the fusion too.
Diana is my good luck charm when on track.

Food Ingredient Fast food Font Cuisine

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 · (Edited)
Okay, so, I'm still broken. But earlier I got bored.

Now I'm not a fan of gauges all over the place looking all ricer. But seeing as I'm cutting the lower half of my dash off at some point, I needed somewhere to mount the oil temp gauge and a fuel gauge (for when I lose the oem dash and go strictly tablet dash).
So I opted for the two middle air vent pods. I cut out 2 donuts in abs, mounted up the oil temp gauge. Does the job.

Car Speedometer Vehicle Steering wheel Motor vehicle

I was pretty comfy in the bucket seat and my back felt good so carried on removing the dash. Got it out with minimal pain. So much room for activities.

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Steering wheel

I then proceeded to cut the fat and removed unused wiring/equipment. Being careful to trace each wire as many are shared earths. So one cut in error and car no starty.

The aim was to use the Bluetooth module in the fusion hoping Ford were logical and it would only be a few pinouts needed doing... But no. The harness for the radio to Bluetooth module shares earths with the airbag module. Which would mean removing the entire dash and centre consol in the fusion to change the airbag/radio/Bluetooth module harness and repinning on the body control module.
Its all more than doable... But it's just a fusion.

So yeah, wiring is now in full swing.

I'll be removing traction control, radio, airbag, heater/ac wiring, along with all modules.

Now hear me out, oem TC doesn't work with a standalone ecu, I don't require a radio as the supercharger has the music covered, airbags (don't get me started on airbags!), the heater is on its way out/ac was removed years ago.

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Hey, if I can't drive it, I may as well create something to do.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Okay, so, I'm still broken. But earlier I got bored.

Now I'm not a fan of gauges all over the place looking all ricer. But seeing as I'm cutting the lower half of my dash off at some point, I needed somewhere to mount the oil temp gauge and a fuel gauge (for when I lose the oem dash and go strictly tablet dash).
So I opted for the two middle air vent pods. I cut out 2 donuts in abs, mounted up the oil temp gauge. Does the job.

View attachment 588305

I was pretty comfy in the bucket seat and my back felt good so carried on removing the dash. Got it out with minimal pain. So much room for activities.

View attachment 588306

I then proceeded to cut the fat and removed unused wiring/equipment. Being careful to trace each wire as many are shared earths. So one cut in error and car no starty.

The aim was to use the Bluetooth module in the fusion hoping Ford were logical and it would only be a few pinouts needed doing... But no. The harness for the radio to Bluetooth module shares earths with the airbag module. Which would mean removing the entire dash and centre consol in the fusion to change the airbag/radio/Bluetooth module harness and repinning on the body control module.
Its all more than doable... But it's just a fusion.

So yeah, wiring is now in full swing.

I'll be removing traction control, radio, airbag, heater/ac wiring, along with all modules.

Now hear me out, oem TC doesn't work with a standalone ecu, I don't require a radio as the supercharger has the music covered, airbags (don't get me started on airbags!), the heater is on its way out/ac was removed years ago.

View attachment 588307

Hey, if I can't drive it, I may as well create something to do.
Hi Marv,

Looking good, but something I don't understand -
Is all of the above covered by the "I'm banned on working on the ST as its toooo strenuos" ? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Great news your feeling upto it - DONT OVERDO IT :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Hi Marv,

Looking good, but something I don't understand -
Is all of the above covered by the "I'm banned on working on the ST as its toooo strenuos" ? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Great news your feeling upto it - DONT OVERDO IT :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It is covered. Because I haven't told her about the change of plans for the Bluetooth (she just doesn't care).

My other half caught me once the dash was already out. I told her it was like this when I got here.
If she'd have caught me yanking on a dash with spine fractures, I'd be in the dog house. Although she was happy for me to operate a petrol chipper earlier on in the day... Double standards.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Do you have any spare i/o's on your ecu? If you do you perhaps could wire the fuel level sender into one and have a gauge displayed on the tablet dash.
I have a fair few spare aux ports, I'm just using a tablet, not a race dash. So I'd have to build and define my own dash (if such software exists for free? Rather than just defining the output in the software that is avaliable to most digi race dash's.

If anything it does me a favour having a seperate gauge as I try to only have things on the dash that are providing info I need constantly. Rpm, speed (as its road legal), odometer, IAT, coolant temp.
Oil pressure is regulated and cut via ecu so no need to have that either.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
So, cut away some stuff... Carefully avoiding spliced wires. Will be De pinning all stubs at a later date. As far as the centre of the dash and centre console. These are the only wires that are staying. Heated screens and hazards.

Hood Gadget Electrical wiring Audio equipment Cable

The wiring that's been removed, this is less than half of it. The other half is still attached to the bcm in circa 3m lengths. I want to keep the wires as long as possible as I reuse them when I need bits of different gauge wire.

Automotive tire Hood Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle

I am only scratching the surface. As I still have the entire airbagodule wiring to remove which runs under the heater matrix and round to the bcm, airbag body loom and curtain airbags.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have a fair few spare aux ports, I'm just using a tablet, not a race dash. So I'd have to build and define my own dash (if such software exists for free? Rather than just defining the output in the software that is avaliable to most digi race dash's.

If anything it does me a favour having a seperate gauge as I try to only have things on the dash that are providing info I need constantly. Rpm, speed (as its road legal), odometer, IAT, coolant temp.
Oil pressure is regulated and cut via ecu so no need to have that either.
When I have seen tablets used, it has been done by making a custom page layout in the tuning software, loading the software and page layout onto the tablet so you can display whatever parameters from the ecu that you like. Basically like a custom logging page if that makes sense. Multiple pages could be made for more or less data. I had just assumed thats how you had done it, hence the suggestion. I am not familiar enough with the emu software to know how custom you can make the pages.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
When I have seen tablets used, it has been done by making a custom page layout in the tuning software, loading the software and page layout onto the tablet so you can display whatever parameters from the ecu that you like. Basically like a custom logging page if that makes sense. Multiple pages could be made for more or less data. I had just assumed thats how you had done it, hence the suggestion. I am not familiar enough with the emu software to know how custom you can make the pages.
Like any standalone ecu, there isn't a platform from the tuner that allows you to run full access software on a tablet. Otherwise their several thousand pound digi dash's wouldn't sell.
What you are likely seeing is either a genuine digi dash, or a £40 student tablet like I'm using, but via something like speedunio.

So even if I was techy enough to program my own dash display via a third party program. That software would have to be able to identify all inputs and outputs, as well as being able to define them and calibrate them.

For instance, many fuel senders have different ohms definition. So you have to calibrate them, same goes for every single gauge that isn't CAN controlled. Which isn't something you can do on free third party software.
If you're particularly techy, download Real Dash and you'll see what I mean.

But a plus side, is that I don't need more than basic info on display.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Ok, well like I said I do not know the emu tuning software, sounds like its not possible then.
But, you are incorrect about other tuning platforms not allowing it, for future reference for PClink software all you need is a windows based tablet, and can set it all up as I previous described, no Digi dash, speedunio etc, anything the ecu reads you can see and display.
Fuel sender would need to be calibrated in the ecu yes, but its just a case of a pull up resistor, and calibrate it in the ecu like you would any other custom sensor. But irrelevant if you cant run the software on the tablet. A shame, the less gauges in the cabin the better, imo, but if you have got all the info you need thats the main thing.

On an unrelated topic, do still run your evap system?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 · (Edited)
Ok, well like I said I do not know the emu tuning software, sounds like its not possible then.
But, you are incorrect about other tuning platforms not allowing it, for future reference for PClink software all you need is a windows based tablet, and can set it all up as I previous described, no Digi dash, speedunio etc, anything the ecu reads you can see and display.
Fuel sender would need to be calibrated in the ecu yes, but its just a case of a pull up resistor, and calibrate it in the ecu like you would any other custom sensor. But irrelevant if you cant run the software on the tablet. A shame, the less gauges in the cabin the better, imo, but if you have got all the info you need thats the main thing.

On an unrelated topic, do still run your evap system?
I'll have 2 gauges, both aren't immediate information, but both are a necessity. It's not like I have a boost gauge and afr/Lambda pointlessly sat there.
Even when I move to a digi dash, I'll likely keep them. As you know/can imagine, on track, anything bar the bare bones is wasted. It's why I run engine protection rather than 'keeping an eye' on an oil pressure gauge.
I was under the impression that pclink were exclusive to Link.

Ecumaster software can run on anything Windows and you can arrange any amount of gauges you want on screen, as well as having different screens that you can select.
But its just a beatneck way around a problem I don't have.

The setup I use means I have a finished dash. Not just a random selection of gauges.
Here's a screenshot from the one on my phone. This is one of the more basic layouts. But there are many to chose from and you can even make your own if you have the time. But you can't designate an aux output, or at least I haven't worked out how.

Font Circle Science Symmetry Composite material

Yeah I still have the oem evap setup. It's just not under vacuum, it vents to atmosphere down 2 inches from the floor.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I'll have 2 gauges, both aren't immediate information, but both are a necessity. It's not like I have a boost gauge and afr/Lambda pointlessly sat there.
Even when I move to a digi dash, I'll likely keep them. As you know/can imagine, on track, anything bar the bare bones is wasted. It's why I run engine protection rather than 'keeping an eye' on an oil pressure gauge.
I was under the impression that pclink were exclusive to Link.

Yeah I still have the oem evap setup. It's just not under vacuum, it vents to atmosphere down 2 inches from the floor.
Yes PClink is link and vipec.
Well another way to look at it, if you do move to a digi dash, removing the gauges will save weight! lol

Ok thanks. yeah I was thinking of doing the same.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
I got an hour this morning while my other half was out shopping. So I cut down the dash while she wasn't around.

Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper Electronic instrument Automotive wheel system

Its now had the entire lower half, air ducting and airbag removed.

Bumper Trigger Automotive exterior Gun barrel Bicycle part

Once she was back, I moved to smaller stuff and modified the two outer 'face' vents to bottle holders.

Tool Bicycle part Bumper Auto part Machine

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Steering wheel

They likely won't get used much, but it's nice to have something within reach on longer journeys. As I am stupid enough to drive to and from the track.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I got an hour this morning while my other half was out shopping. So I cut down the dash while she wasn't around.

View attachment 588399

Its now had the entire lower half, air ducting and airbag removed.

View attachment 588400

Once she was back, I moved to smaller stuff and modified the two outer 'face' vents to bottle holders.

View attachment 588401

View attachment 588402

They likely won't get used much, but it's nice to have something within reach on longer journeys. As I am stupid enough to drive to and from the track.
Bottle holders, great mod, why hasn't everyone done it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Okay so its not really my car, but the boys dropped round the head for a turbo duratec powered mk5 track car we've been working on.

Nothing fancy, just lapping and a head rebuild with Newman valve springs and a Newman ph2 intake cam.

What would usually take an afternoon when all said and done with valve clearances, is now going to take me a couple of days.

As I'm currently having a lay down after just half hour due to my back.

Automotive tire Gas Food Cuisine Machine

Gas Automotive design Engineering Glass Machine

Wood Art Rectangle Font Composite material

Musical instrument Wood Gas Nickel Machine

Natural material Artifact Gas Composite material Serveware

This is possibly the cleanest head I've ever had to rebuild. Valve seats are perfect with no pitting. Whoever owned the car this came out of drove like a granny and took good care of it.
Just a single pass with fine compound and its done! Didn't even have to think about using the course compound. Very impressive.

201 - 220 of 260 Posts