Fiesta ST Forums banner
281 - 300 of 314 Posts

· Administrator
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift ), 2005, MK6 zetec S
1,464 Posts
I'm a telco engineer. This is how neat I wish the network was haha.
Yeah, essentially it's packing everything into a smaller space. Making it a lot stronger and less susceptible to wear. Like rope.
I also have the knock sensor cable in the very core. Which is shielded and twisted (unlike oem), so much less likely to suffer interference. Having a roots charger adds a HELL of a lot of nvh and frequency, which is fine if the sensor itself is reading it, but noise ingress to the cable would skew what the ecu see's.
Same goes for the CAN H and L wires. They're twisted together so the signal twists inwards on itself maintaining a good wideband noise.
Hi Marv,

Ah, was wondering what stopped it all colapsing on itself, very impressive
I remember doing loom training back in the day when we had to lace looms, all the wires had to be dead straight - right pig... cable ties were not an option :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Most of what you have said is way above my head
Keep up the great work
Hows ur back ?

· Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Hi Marv,

Ah, was wondering what stopped it all colapsing on itself, very impressive
I remember doing loom training back in the day when we had to lace looms, all the wires had to be dead straight - right pig... cable ties were not an option :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Most of what you have said is way above my head
Keep up the great work
Hows ur back ?
Thanks, my back is great all things considered. But everything I've been doing with the wiring over the last 6 months has kept me out of trouble. I can't get up to mischief if the car won't drive.
I'm hoping my neck and back will be strong enough to support a helmet on track by late February. So I have until then to get the car back together. The cage in. A hans system and a hans compatible helmet.
But we'll see how it goes.

· Administrator
1,464 Posts
Thanks, my back is great all things considered. But everything I've been doing with the wiring over the last 6 months has kept me out of trouble. I can't get up to mischief if the car won't drive.
I'm hoping my neck and back will be strong enough to support a helmet on track by late February. So I have until then to get the car back together. The cage in. A hans system and a hans compatible helmet.
But we'll see how it goes.
God, has it been 6 months , phew.

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
I'm sure you're all bored of wiring by now. But here's more. A small update as I got an hour spare this evening. Kevlar ripcord run in parallel with the harness and DR-25 heatshrink slid over the top. A lot of heat for about 20mins and.... hey presto. A fuel resistant covering.
Next onto the pin and soldering.

Electrical wiring Automotive lighting Gas Font Circle

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Finished off the wiring tonight. Well... everything for now.
The individual red and blue wires coiled up at the top of the photo are for battery live and launch control. LC will come at a later date.
Also you'll notice a braid of wires with no plug on the end. That's for the data logger which I am yet to buy.

Otherwise it's all done.
The section of unshrunk DR-25 is to be finished off once I've got the loom on the car and done some testing. Which fingers crossed will be tomorrow morning.

Automotive tire Rim Auto part Wire Cable

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Got her started this morning on the new harness, all is well, except the coolant temp stats are having a fit. Likely due to the wrong resistor used when wiring the emu plug.
A friends had a 120ohm resistor in his. I cut my original harness apart this morning to find a 10kohm resistor... so... I was only 9,880ohms off the mark.
I could likely have written the issue out via the emu software on the coolant sensor calibration. But I opted for the tried and tested method and just bought some 10k ohm resistors.

THIS IS WHY WE DO TESTING!

While I was doing some online shopping I purchased a new 7 way midi fuse board to mount in the cabin. It will be replacing the one sat in the engine bay.

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
So, no wiring updates today! Praise the Lord... well kind of.

Waited until the temp outside dropped to -7 to rip the carpet out the mk6 this morning.
It has come out in preparation for cage fitting at some point in January.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Gear shift

While the seats were out I removed the remaining airbag wiring, including this pretentioner module (I assume) and curtain airbag sensors (yellow) tucked away in the outer chassis rails.

Cable Toy Machine Asphalt Auto part

Loads of odds and sods that need doing in the cabin, but for now. I'm just waiting on a few wiring bits for the harness.

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
So, last post of 2022 (you all hope). New fuseboard turned up. Resistors turned up and are fitted to both old and new wire harnesses.

Tomorrow I will be plugging the new harness in for a (hopefully final) test run. Then unplugging it all, walking away and laying on the sofa till the new year.

I have another scuttle and heaterbox lined up from a breaker mk6 a mate has in. So once I get that in the new year. It'll be old scuttle out, new harness in, pull all the engine bay fusebox wiring back into the cabin and reterminating on the new fuseboard.

Then cage mock up.

Electronic device Font Gadget Office equipment Gas

Office equipment Gas Machine Auto part Engineering

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
OK I lied. I had some spare time so fitted the fusebox in the cabin and extended/shortened the new fusebox wiring to suit.

The last two fuses are for abs and epas. I have a extended loom ready to go, just waiting till I get the new ecu harness in to plumb them in.

Whike i was there, I re-purposed a hole on the steering column for the LC switch.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas Coil

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Speedometer Automotive tire

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 · (Edited)
New year, same spine. Did a little bit on the car this morning as I wasn't drinking last night. New year's day and I feel great for once.

Got the new harness in and roughly into position. Wired in the mini extention loom for the abs and epas to reach the new cabin fusebox.

Firewall bung was cut to suit the added cables and bonet latch release bung removed and re-purposed to run a vac line direct to the ecu.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Here's one from new years day that I forgot to upload.

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold

I'm very excited having bought myself an early birthday present.
Since the accident as you all know I've been upping safety around the mk6. This includes safety equipment, so I've been after a hans compatible helmet for the last few months.

Just by chance this came up for sale and was only used for one practice outing with a balaclava.
It's a Bell GT5 Sport and is the exact helmet I've been searching for... just over £100 cheaper than RRP.

Helmet Sports gear Kitchen appliance Font Fashion accessory

· Administrator
1,464 Posts
Here's one from new years day that I forgot to upload.

View attachment 590720

I'm very excited having bought myself an early birthday present.
Since the accident as you all know I've been upping safety around the mk6. This includes safety equipment, so I've been after a hans compatible helmet for the last few months.

Just by chance this came up for sale and was only used for one practice outing with a balaclava.
It's a Bell GT5 Sport and is the exact helmet I've been searching for... just over £100 cheaper than RRP.

View attachment 590721
Hi Marv,
Wipers look interesting, what are they off ?

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
So, had a play with fabbing up a bracket to align the throttle pedal with the brake to aid heel toe.

1st mock up went well. All aligned nicely. I just need to make an adapter for the pedal stop. If after a test drive all is well, I'll order up some more suitable metal for the finished product.

Before
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design

After
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive lighting

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Body jewelry Hood

Reactions: tcg

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
Great progress Marv! What Cage did you go for with Josh?
JCP3. I contemplated the 4 with A pillar supports, but I'm literally never going to go racing now I've broken my spine. So the A pillar supports would just make it harder for me to get in and out the car.

Strictly just trackdays for me. Maybe the odd hillclimb or autosolo at a later date depending how my back and neck handle trackdays.

281 - 300 of 314 Posts