Fiesta ST Forums banner
61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Not much of an update.
But a move in the right direction.

When I first fitted the half rad I removed the oem fan resistor pack so that the fans would only run on full speed when triggered (as the half rad was an unknown variable).

Now I have a better understanding of how it runs, I am retrofitting the resistor pack so I can run a 2 speed fan and hone in at what temps each speed is triggered.

SO... I'm now making a housing to hold the resistor pack to the fan cowling so it stays cool.

Its not finished yet. Still needs a flange made and chemically welded, then a good clean up. Which hopefully I'll get round to tomorrow. For now it all looks a bit ropey

Wood Gas Brick Composite material Hardwood

Wood Gas Machine Engineering Auto part

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
So here's the finished item. It's nothing special, it just has to house a resistor pack that gets blooomin' hot. It will simply be cable tied onto the fan cowling when the revised slam panel goes on.

Gas Automotive tire Engineering Machine Electrical wiring

For anyone interested. It was made using 6mm styrene (abs) and chemically welded with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), which is second to none when it comes to bonding abs materials.
Or you can use Chloroform as a jack of all to bond the likes of styrene and acrylic. It's just not ideal for styrene.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Yesterday I got everything fitted up.

New slam panel with huuuge radiator
New coolant res
New coolant pipes made up
Oil temp sensor and wiring
Cleaned up and sprayed crash bar
Fan resistor pack retrofitted so I now have a 2 speed fan again.
And general service

All went well, but the day wouldn't have been complete without some drama... I missed a jubilee on one of the coolant pipes and dropped all of my coolant down a bypass at quite some speed. Despite running the car for approximately half an hour at varying rpms.
Thankfully I wasn't far from the lockup and the engine temp didn't exceed 100 degrees C.

As you can tell from the 1st photo... I'm all about cooling haha

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
So... Been busy with work and a newborn. But managed to spare an hour this morning to sort out an issue with my oil temp sensor.
It wasn't reading at all. It was positioned in a -10 fitting in the sump that used to be a turbo oil return in its previous life.
But once the engine was running the oil level in the sump dropped and the sensor couldn't read any resistance.

So this morning I dropped the oil and fitted a sump plug sensor fitting. I rerouted the wiring while I was there along with a heatproof sheathing for the signal wire.

All sorted!

Gear shift Vehicle Automotive tire Car Light

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I almost forgot. I also picked up this Corbeau Pro Race bucket seat for a good price. I'm still on the lookout for clubsports as the pro race isn't something I'd use in a weekend tear about. So I'll be bolting it in just for the track days I have booked. Until I can find a set of standard size clubsports.

Perfectly modelled by my grumpy newborn.

Tableware Comfort Baby carriage Baby & toddler clothing Baby

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Parts have been arriving this week, a new RamAir proram, seat bases, PBS protrack pads, and a set of bc br coilovers to replace my bc v1's. This is all in preparation for upcoming track days.
I also need to refit my strut brace and drill 70mm holes out of the strut towers for the front camber adjustment on the coilovers.

Automotive tire Automotive design Gadget Toy Audio equipment

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Sleeve Bumper Automotive tire Eyewear Personal protective equipment

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
So! Seat is fitted, battery tray is secured, cone filter fitted and pads were fitted.

Vehicle Grille Car Tire Hood

Vehicle Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Car seat cover

Tire Automotive tire Beer Bumper Wood

Gear shift Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car

All went well...

Up until about 11pm Saturday night when I was out 'test driving', aaaaaaand the ecu cut the engine. Oil pressure sensor had died a death. Thankfully a mate wasn't to far away with a tow bar.

Well today I got a new sensor from brands hatch performance and fitted it along with a remote oil sensor fitting. I suspect it was the vibrations that killed the sensor (not that @Driftingforlife didn't warn me).

Anyway...here are some photos.

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Automotive exterior

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive exterior

White Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Okay so, finally got out on track this evening on a Ford only session. It was a shakedown at my local before Cadwell on the 27th of July.
It all went very very well! Coolant temps were averaging 94C. Oil temps were averaging 100C which both are ideal. The car is very very capable. Much much more so than myself.
I look forward to enjoying it more this year.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Okay! So... A few developments. When I was on a track session last week I was looking through the software at the end and realised that the Lambda sensor was reading 1.99, which is off the scale of running lean. Fortunately it wasn't running lean, the sensor was just goosed.
Yep. I know. Me and sensors right?

So... New wideband sensor fitted this morning, all is now well.
Brake fluid flushed for new Motul rbf660 in preparation for Cadwell on the 27th of July.

When I got home my parcels had arrived. Which thanks to @Driftingforlife was a genius idea!
I wanted to run the ecumaster canbus Bluetooth module. But didn't want to wire it direct into the ecu given that there's plenty that I could mess up in the process.
Instead, I wired the Bluetooth module via the obd port using a bare male obd2 shell.
It's just hashed together to see if it works, but it does!
I can now run a digital dash from my phone or tablet using either the ecumaster app (pic 1) or real-time dash app (pic 2), both configurable to my needs.

Font Circle Technology Screenshot Electronic device

Speedometer Automotive design Gauge Font Personal luxury car

Rectangle Cable Font Gadget Electronic device

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
So I got an hour or so free this evening to rewire the Bluetooth CAN module and fit it. Its now looking a lot smarter.

Black Yellow Body jewelry Material property Font

I also removed the permanent live that runs to the obd port and swapped it for an ignition live. So now I can leave it plugged in 24/7 and it only turns on when I turn to ignition 1, same as my oil temp gauge.

The information I can now access is leaps and bounds beyond the basic obd2 bluetooth adapter. And the speed it sends information is staggering, on deceleration it's quicker than my oem clocks.

Automotive lighting Trunk Automotive mirror Automotive exterior Vehicle door

All in all, a successful evening.

61 - 80 of 126 Posts