Fiesta ST Forums banner
81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Quick update. I'm now running a 2 speed fan again. Have just been prepping for Cadwell on the 27th (next Tuesday) for the big mk6 fiesta track day.
I now have 2 bucket seats so my passengers aren't enduring a slip and slide on a full leather oem seat.
Sadly no pictures to follow up with. But I will likely update after Cadwell Park with some tasty pictures and maybe videos.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Had a little mess around tonight with the ecu software. Made a copy of my current file and have lowered the static rpm limit to 4k rpm and have titled it sound check.
This is due to scraping through a sound check recently by the skin of my teeth.
I noticed others with lower static rpm limits being waved through without a test.

My thought process is, load up this file before sound check, swap back over to current file after.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
So! Cadwell was a blast. Great track. Great bunch of people there. Good vibes.
Car went really well. 15-20minute stints and the car wouldn't see above 94 degrees, and seeing 89 on straights and fast corners! Oil temps were spot on at 100 across the board.

The only issue was oil pressure dropping on hard right handers causing the ecu to cut for 5 seconds due to oil starvation.

It is 100% to do with the ARC sump baffle I'm using, its the 1st gen aluminium baffle that had an issue with the baffle window on the pickup side breaking, so to alleviate that I cut it off just to get the car up and running with some sort of baffle in place.

I have a new steel ARC sump baffle on order. But until that arrives I'm having some family time.

Here's a few pics of the day.

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
447 Posts
Hi Marv, looks like u had a great time (y)
Hope u'll forgive my ignorance, can understand what u said about the sump causing the engine to starve of oil, but I don't understand why would the ecu cut ( please don't think for a minute im doubting anything u say) but ecu is electrical, wheres the tie between oil feed and ecu ?
( This is the point Marv attempts to educate - lol )

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Hi Marv, looks like u had a great time (y)
Hope u'll forgive my ignorance, can understand what u said about the sump causing the engine to starve of oil, but I don't understand why would the ecu cut ( please don't think for a minute im doubting anything u say) but ecu is electrical, wheres the tie between oil feed and ecu ?
( This is the point Marv attempts to educate - lol )
Because my ecu is setup to cut when oil pressure falls under 2 bar. I have an oil pressure sensor. Apposed to the oem oil pressure switch (that effectively does nothing useful).
When the sensor reads a pressure drop the ecu cuts within 300 milliseconds and stays in a form of limp mode for 5 seconds giving the oil time to settle and the pump to continue circulating oil as it should.
I have saftey cuts like this in place for this very reason. Otherwise I'd be driving round a track with the engine starved of oil on tight or long corners. Which would be catastrophic to the engine life.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
So, had a little mess around for a few hours this afternoon making a throttle body plate so I can relocate my throttle body to before the supercharger. The aim is to cut the volume down so I can go down to a smaller pulley for more boost. As much as I love the sound, it's too much having it whine all the time.
With the throttle body moved it would only be audiable on acceleration when the throttle plate is open.

All that's left is get it welded up and get it on.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
So, had a little mess around for a few hours this afternoon making a throttle body plate so I can relocate my throttle body to before the supercharger. The aim is to cut the volume down so I can go down to a smaller pulley for more boost. As much as I love the sound, it's too much having it whine all the time.
With the throttle body moved it would only be audiable on acceleration when the throttle plate is open.

View attachment 583474

View attachment 583475

View attachment 583476

View attachment 583477

All that's left is get it welded up and get it on.
Very nice (y)
Wish I had a Tig welder :cry:

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Because my ecu is setup to cut when oil pressure falls under 2 bar. I have an oil pressure sensor. Apposed to the oem oil pressure switch (that effectively does nothing useful).
When the sensor reads a pressure drop the ecu cuts within 300 milliseconds and stays in a form of limp mode for 5 seconds giving the oil time to settle and the pump to continue circulating oil as it should.
I have saftey cuts like this in place for this very reason. Otherwise I'd be driving round a track with the engine starved of oil on tight or long corners. Which would be catastrophic to the engine life.
Ok, yeah makes sense, will a different sump/oil pick up feed get rid of issue ?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Ok, yeah makes sense, will a different sump/oil pick up feed get rid of issue ?
Nope. Its the sump baffle that needs to be changed. I originally had an early gen ARC sump baffle which required me to cut a whole side off to fit around the high volume oil pump and pickup pipe in the sump I'm using.
The newer version that I'm waiting for is steel and a much better design. So will do the job perfectly.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
New sump baffle has arrived. 4 days late but it is what it is. So that can go on soon.

Also a little update I replaced all plastic hose joiners on the heater hoses for brass unions after I had one let go at Cadwell.
Tig welded part of my exhaust up as the joint keeps slipping and blowing where the exhaust gets so hot it glows, which melts clamps. All is solid now and shouldn't be a problem anymore.

I also removed my drivers deat which was a corbeau Pro race competition seat and replaced it with a corbeau clubsport. The clubsport isn't as supportive, but I don't have to roll out of the car anymore as they're not high sided seats. It's also mounted on a slide rail (in hope that one day I grow a little more than 5'6).

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Sooooo... The sump baffle is finally on.

In the process I have dfound out that jamsport sell the duratec 2.3 oil pump under the guise of a '2L high pressure oil pump', what the difference eyou ask? Jamsport ripoff tax.

I also found out that jamsport sent me the wrong pickup pipe (twice), even after disputing the fact that it was wrong.
I ended up having to cut the entire gate off of the original ARC sump baffle when the engine is 1st built.
Had they sent me the correct pickup pipe and put their arrogance aside, I wouldn't have had to destroy a perfectly good sump baffle, and in turn wouldn't have gotten oil surge.

Thank god for the emu black ecu, if that had been a standard ecu it wouldn't have picked up on the oil surge and could have ended in a scrap motor.

Anyway. Here are some pictures for you guys. One is of the two pickup pipes (2.3 and 2L) side by side, the straight one is the 2L.

Bumper Wood Tool Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Since this saga, I have had several people message me on social media telling me their horror stories. I'm sure I'll be bombarded by dm's from members telling me their 170bhp fiesta with a jamsport remap is fine, because they have a cult following.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design

Bumper Gas Tool Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
So, finally got round to putting oil back in it this afternoon and getting it running again. One of the lads gave it a wash for me while I resprayed his rear quatre panel, just in time for Ford Power Live at Brands Hatch on Sunday.
Was a rare point for all of us to have all our fun cars there for a photo.

Car drove great on the way home. Now all that's left is to get it back out on track before the weather turns for some final testing.

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
So, finally got round to putting oil back in it this afternoon and getting it running again. One of the lads gave it a wash for me while I resprayed his rear quatre panel, just in time for Ford Power Live at Brands Hatch on Sunday.
Was a rare point for all of us to have all our fun cars there for a photo.

Car drove great on the way home. Now all that's left is to get it back out on track before the weather turns for some final testing.

View attachment 583949
Wot is that, an aircraft hanger - lol

81 - 100 of 126 Posts