Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Been looking through the forums on this site and recently joined :) main reason is I'm in the market for a MK6 Fiesta (of course).

As the title suggests, I have mainly been looking at the ST150 and Zetec S (Petrol). But I thought it best to reach out to people who have had experience with either car or even better - both! So, here's some small backstory:

I have around about a 3 grand budget for either a Zetec S or an ST150 - but which one? I travel 14 miles per day for work, and every other week I travel a little ways further to see family which is roughly 25 miles and almost entirely A - Road driving. My work route is a more fun drive with roundabouts to have a little scoot over when the mood (or need) arises. Given this you have probably came to the assumption that either car I go for will be my daily, so is the Zetec S much better on fuel over the ST150? Can I get a better ZS for my budget over an ST? My last car was a Type R, but it was starting to get long in the tooth with rot issues and such that I deemed it a little too far gone and part exchanged it for an incredibly boring Seat Leon. The Leon was bought and not financed so I have the freedom to sell on and get something more fun and I have always loved the MK6 platform, hence my decision.

If anyone can share their experiences, especially if you currently run one as a daily; could you share roughly what kind of running costs are expected? We don't buy hot hatches for economy and I accept fuel prices only ever on the up these days, however, I'm just looking to get some insight and a rough idea of what I'd be facing if I took the plunge on either car and it would be greatly appreciated!

If you came this far, thanks for reading! :D

Cheers :)

Registered
2005 mk6 Fiesta ST
ST

馃憤

Seriously though, probably not vast difference between them, but you may as well go ST imo. For both sides of the argument maybe ask on the ZS forum as well 馃槢

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ST

馃憤

Seriously though, probably not vast difference between them, but you may as well go ST imo. For both sides of the argument maybe ask on the ZS forum as well 馃槢
Yeah I completely accept I'm on an ST forum so perhaps some bias from people haha! I've heard mixed opinions which is why I thought I'd dive into the forums and attune to the masses. I would rather have that extra 50 bhp (give or take) under my feet if the cost of fueling is roughly the same! I have found a few ST's within my budget as well so it's not like they're out of reach!

Super Moderator
I've had both.

Had my ST for 5 years and the ZS for just over 1 before getting a Mk7 ST, so says it all.

Jokes aside, depends on how you drive as to which is better on fuel. They're pretty much the same car, other than the ZS is slower and a bit comfier, slightly softer suspension with a higher ride height and smaller alloys with larger tyre sidewalls.

That said, an ST on some decent coil overs will handle pretty nice and be compliant on the busy and rutty British roads.

As for which will be a better example for the money, ZS's seem to hold their value more (last time I checked, not kept an eye on the market though so may well be different these days) ... So you'll get more ST for your money. But there are loads out there and unfortunately, plenty of dogs. So take your time and choose a gooden.

Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had both.

Had my ST for 5 years and the ZS for just over 1 before getting a Mk7 ST, so says it all.

Jokes aside, depends on how you drive as to which is better on fuel. They're pretty much the same car, other than the ZS is slower and a bit comfier, slightly softer suspension with a higher ride height and smaller alloys with larger tyre sidewalls.

That said, an ST on some decent coil overs will handle pretty nice and be compliant on the busy and rutty British roads.

As for which will be a better example for the money, ZS's seem to hold their value more (last time I checked, not kept an eye on the market though so may well be different these days) ... So you'll get more ST for your money. But there are loads out there and unfortunately, plenty of dogs. So take your time and choose a gooden.

Good luck.
Appreciate the feedback! You may well have swayed my opinion. To tell you the truth I'd prefer to go for the ST, the suspension being on the stiffer side isn't a concern in all honesty as I dealt with the Type R's rough suspension for nearly 3 years. I just wanted some insight into the running costs day to day of the ST as opinions always vary (also down to how the car is driven of course).

My only concern now is whether my budget meets the requirements for a half decent example, I may need that luck!

Super Moderator
I can't remember the MPGs but I think I used to get around 300 miles to a tank in my Mk6 ST if my memory serves me correct.

Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
The mpgs between either car is pretty much the same to be honest.

If you're not planning on modifying it for a little more oomph and are happy with 99hp, then the zs may be for you.

But for no extra money bar a higher tax band, you could have 150bhp in the same weight chassis. And there is meat on the bone to improve hp, handling and driveability.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mpgs between either car is pretty much the same to be honest.

If you're not planning on modifying it for a little more oomph and are happy with 99hp, then the zs may be for you.

But for no extra money bar a higher tax band, you could have 150bhp in the same weight chassis. And there is meat on the bone to improve hp, handling and driveability.
Do you think I could find a half decent example with my budget? The tax band between them is a small gap in itself I've noticed, so would definitely rather the ST!

Registered
Do you think I could find a half decent example with my budget? The tax band between them is a small gap in itself I've noticed, so would definitely rather the ST!
Yeah definitly. No mayyer which one you buy. It will burn a little oil. But the hardest part is finding one that doesn't burn a litre a week. It's why they die, chavs rev them to death and run them low of oil. Which speeds up ring failure hugely.
If the big end bearings don't go from oil starvation then they're left just burning copious amounts of oil.
As hard to believe as itt is... Its not the car. Its the owner.
No mechanical sympathy and the inability to service their car.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah definitly. No mayyer which one you buy. It will burn a little oil. But the hardest part is finding one that doesn't burn a litre a week. It's why they die, chavs rev them to death and run them low of oil. Which speeds up ring failure hugely.
If the big end bearings don't go from oil starvation then they're left just burning copious amounts of oil.
As hard to believe as itt is... Its not the car. Its the owner.
No mechanical sympathy and the inability to service their car.
I imagine smoking and the like are telltale signs? I had similar experiences with the k series engine I had in my civic, I got lucky as it didn't drink too much oil however I am well versed in checking it regularly!

Super Moderator
Yeah, blue smoke, in particular under load and normally towards the second half of the rev range.

A soothed up exhaust is normal, as they tend to run rich. So a little puff of black smoke the first/first few hard pulls is to be expected. But continuous black or blue smoke when accelerating is not.

On a private sale you'll usually be able to tell the owners ways and gauge how a car has been treated, trade sales are a bit more of a stab in the dark as the dealer will know absolutely nothing, but claim to. Salesmen at particular manufacturer outlets don't even know what they're selling half the time, let alone a used car garage where everything and anything comes in, with history!

Another good thing to check is the PAS fluid, just pop the cap off and take a look, it should be a nice cherry red. If it's dark/black, it's been boiled and is a sign of the car being driven hard. Not a major issue in itself, just another telling factor of the cars treatment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, blue smoke, in particular under load and normally towards the second half of the rev range.

A soothed up exhaust is normal, as they tend to run rich. So a little puff of black smoke the first/first few hard pulls is to be expected. But continuous black or blue smoke when accelerating is not.

On a private sale you'll usually be able to tell the owners ways and gauge how a car has been treated, trade sales are a bit more of a stab in the dark as the dealer will know absolutely nothing, but claim to. Salesmen at particular manufacturer outlets don't even know what they're selling half the time, let alone a used car garage where everything and anything comes in, with history!

Another good thing to check is the PAS fluid, just pop the cap off and take a look, it should be a nice cherry red. If it's dark/black, it's been boiled and is a sign of the car being driven hard. Not a major issue in itself, just another telling factor of the cars treatment.
Yeah very much the same points I looked out for when going for the civic I had. I have heard about the PAS fluid liking to cook itself when the engine warms up, hence there is a relocation kit available(?).

Think I would prefer a private sale over a garage, I'm in contact with a dealer who purely buys in MK6 Zetec S and ST's but is claiming I wouldn't get a good ST in my budget :unsure:

Registered
You definitly would get a decent st with your ibudget. You'd really need to follow the car driven by someone who is giving it some. If I were selling an oil burner and was dishonest, I'd certainly clean the exhaust. So it's not always as clear cut as that.

Oil level/colour/health is also worth checking. Seat tilt mechanisms.

Next thing to consider, do you want an unmodified car. In your budget the chances are you will get one that has previously been modified or is still modified. That's not necessarily a bad thing as I like to think a lot of modified car owners take pride in their car. But the flip side of the coin is, a lot of modified car owners prioritise modifying a car over repairing it.

I do honestly believe it is somewhat of a stab in the dark unless you can follow the car and see it revved out. If there's no blue smoke and it's a solid car, then even if every other check item mentioned isn't great. Its a keeper.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You definitly would get a decent st with your ibudget. You'd really need to follow the car driven by someone who is giving it some. If I were selling an oil burner and was dishonest, I'd certainly clean the exhaust. So it's not always as clear cut as that.

Oil level/colour/health is also worth checking. Seat tilt mechanisms.

Next thing to consider, do you want an unmodified car. In your budget the chances are you will get one that has previously been modified or is still modified. That's not necessarily a bad thing as I like to think a lot of modified car owners take pride in their car. But the flip side of the coin is, a lot of modified car owners prioritise modifying a car over repairing it.

I do honestly believe it is somewhat of a stab in the dark unless you can follow the car and see it revved out. If there's no blue smoke and it's a solid car, then even if every other check item mentioned isn't great. Its a keeper.
Yeah I had similar things to look out for in the past as well. In the realms of modified or not, I would prefer an example as untouched as possible but I'm aware that this means a vehicle like that would come at a premium.

For sure small issues can be sorted, and for little money from what I can gather. It's just making sure the engine is running sweet before committing to one!

Super Moderator
Have you read these?

Registered
Yeah I had similar things to look out for in the past as well. In the realms of modified or not, I would prefer an example as untouched as possible but I'm aware that this means a vehicle like that would come at a premium.

For sure small issues can be sorted, and for little money from what I can gather. It's just making sure the engine is running sweet before committing to one!
Definitly. The above links will help a lot. Also worth checking mot history. Checking advisories from one year to the next to gain a picture of what the previous owners were like as far as repairs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you read these?

I had checked the buyers guides and the facelift updates but thank you for the links all the same :) I was just more wanting to make the decision between getting a ZS or an ST, hence running costs were the primary focus (no pun intended).

From what I can conclude though, it seems running costs would be the same with either car so logically I'd rather the extra power! Would also cost me 拢14 more per year to insure an ST over a ZS too, crazy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Definitly. The above links will help a lot. Also worth checking mot history. Checking advisories from one year to the next to gain a picture of what the previous owners were like as far as repairs.
MOT history has been the death of many potentials so far, was sent a reasonably clean ZS but the MOT history painted a far different picture.

Registered
eBay item no.s

Around your budget, under 100k miles and standard.

I got mine on 98k standard, now 5years later on 158313 miles, 200 spec (stage 2) made 198bhp this year. So engine is pretty good.

Depends on driving up to 320miles on a tank, now in London it's 270max.

Might as well get the ST, just a better car for some what little cost in running, insure, taxing.

Just if you going to mod anything as you would know, tyres do a lot!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
eBay item no.s

Around your budget, under 100k miles and standard.

I got mine on 98k standard, now 5years later on 158313 miles, 200 spec (stage 2) made 198bhp this year. So engine is pretty good.

Depends on driving up to 320miles on a tank, now in London it's 270max.

Might as well get the ST, just a better car for some what little cost in running, insure, taxing.

Just if you going to mod anything as you would know, tyres do a lot!
Appreciate those links mate! That white one I actually spotted earlier today, about half an hour from where I live. Only concern with it that I saw was that they had claimed the front offside arch has started to rust. Totally accept that it's common on these older cars but not sure how pricey that would be to sort.

Good to know that they aren't unrealistic to run though, given the power to weight ratio of them I bet yours sitting at 198bhp is a lot of fun!

Yep, couldn't agree more on tyres, they are the only thing that connect you to the road at the end of the day.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts