Fiesta ST Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

Super Moderator
I replaced a front arch/wing on mine. Can't remember how much it was though. Is an annoying job because you have to remove/loosen up everything around it 馃檮 But not a difficult job, just time consuming for what it is.

Super Moderator
Found it, cost me 拢32

That's my old project thread, if you fancy a browse. I have an index with brief descriptions of updates with links in the first post.

Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
Appreciate those links mate! That white one I actually spotted earlier today, about half an hour from where I live. Only concern with it that I saw was that they had claimed the front offside arch has started to rust. Totally accept that it's common on these older cars but not sure how pricey that would be to sort.

Good to know that they aren't unrealistic to run though, given the power to weight ratio of them I bet yours sitting at 198bhp is a lot of fun!

Yep, couldn't agree more on tyres, they are the only thing that connect you to the road at the end of the day.
If its a concern you can always get another diamond white (prefacelift) or frozen white (facelift) wing for around 拢30. At least that's what I have sold wings for. Its not an ST specific colour so parts are much easier to come by. And being a non metallic for the most part they polish up nicely.
I've bought, sold, and broke for parts my fair share of ST150s over the years. Most common colour that get broken for parts is performance blue as its ST specific. So the parts are worth a touch more.

Reactions: Sundae

Registered
Hey everyone! Been looking through the forums on this site and recently joined :) main reason is I'm in the market for a MK6 Fiesta (of course).

As the title suggests, I have mainly been looking at the ST150 and Zetec S (Petrol). But I thought it best to reach out to people who have had experience with either car or even better - both! So, here's some small backstory:

I have around about a 3 grand budget for either a Zetec S or an ST150 - but which one? I travel 14 miles per day for work, and every other week I travel a little ways further to see family which is roughly 25 miles and almost entirely A - Road driving. My work route is a more fun drive with roundabouts to have a little scoot over when the mood (or need) arises. Given this you have probably came to the assumption that either car I go for will be my daily, so is the Zetec S much better on fuel over the ST150? Can I get a better ZS for my budget over an ST? My last car was a Type R, but it was starting to get long in the tooth with rot issues and such that I deemed it a little too far gone and part exchanged it for an incredibly boring Seat Leon. The Leon was bought and not financed so I have the freedom to sell on and get something more fun and I have always loved the MK6 platform, hence my decision.

If anyone can share their experiences, especially if you currently run one as a daily; could you share roughly what kind of running costs are expected? We don't buy hot hatches for economy and I accept fuel prices only ever on the up these days, however, I'm just looking to get some insight and a rough idea of what I'd be facing if I took the plunge on either car and it would be greatly appreciated!

If you came this far, thanks for reading! :D

Cheers :)
ST IS THE ONE TO HAVE ,biased on this site but had mine 13 years now and there鈥檚 lots on here with lengthy ownership and as @_jimmy_says performance blue would be the right one to get :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Found it, cost me 拢32

That's my old project thread, if you fancy a browse. I have an index with brief descriptions of updates with links in the first post.
Much appreciated! Food for thought if I have any rust or damage, had a look through your thread as well - a very nice ST indeed. A shame you parted with it in the end but we all have our (normally boringly sensible) reasons.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
ST IS THE ONE TO HAVE ,biased on this site but had mine 13 years now and there鈥檚 lots on here with lengthy ownership and as @_jimmy_says performance blue would be the right one to get :cool:
Yep it seems the way to go, like I said earlier now I know they are within my budget and the same running costs as a ZS, it seems to be a no brainer!

Registered
So I have had my ZS as a daily for about 7-8 years, I can say its is cheaper to run in just about every aspect to the ST, fuel, insurance, tyres, brakes even things like spark plugs etc etc.
It is however not a huge amount of difference in the scheme of things, but year on year it all adds up.
However there will also be a potential additional cost of a cambelt on the ZS (the ST is a chain)

Im not sure if you mentioned this but when you say you want one as your daily, does that mean you have another car that you drive for fun?
Or would this be your every day and only car for commutes and for fun?

As a daily, with a second car I would choose the ZS, I wouldnt spend more money on a A-B car than I needed to while still having something reasonable.
As a only car, it would be the ST every time the extra costs are worth it

Registered
IVe had my ST for about 8 years now, and I even ran zetec S wheels for the longest time.

I also keep a log of fuel consumption. I鈥檝e seen True MPG (brim tank and reset trip) readings of low 40s but I average 37.1. I doubt with the mileage I do (9,000) there would be much more than one extra tank a year in fuel over a Zetec S.

Theoretically you still need the same BHP and thus similar levels of fuel for both cars at the same cruising speed. No doubt the frictional/pumping losses in the ST engine are greater, but I鈥檇 say it鈥檚 not as drastic as you think.

The challenge with a more powerful car is avoiding using the power as that what sucks up the fuel.

Other things to consider (I think) is the ST will have a nicer interior and maybe more comforts. Discs all round (which I prefer to maintain over drums)

I find the ST is good to drive around town and on motorway with the engine being strong enough to not warrant down changing to keep up with traffic

If you do wish to do light modification the ST might have more support as well. I actually modded mine to have a softer ride (coilovers) , so you can do that as well

unsure if the zetec S and the ST have similar gear ratios that might be worth considering, I assume the Zetec S is a lower ratio thus revving higher when cruising.

Only downside to the ST I see is the silly steering lock, but I reverse park so this is barely an issue

interestingly since I went to ST170 brakes the price of discs is stupidly cheap (拢6.59) for a rear disc
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Slope

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So I have had my ZS as a daily for about 7-8 years, I can say its is cheaper to run in just about every aspect to the ST, fuel, insurance, tyres, brakes even things like spark plugs etc etc.
It is however not a huge amount of difference in the scheme of things, but year on year it all adds up.
However there will also be a potential additional cost of a cambelt on the ZS (the ST is a chain)

Im not sure if you mentioned this but when you say you want one as your daily, does that mean you have another car that you drive for fun?
Or would this be your every day and only car for commutes and for fun?

As a daily, with a second car I would choose the ZS, I wouldnt spend more money on a A-B car than I needed to while still having something reasonable.
As a only car, it would be the ST every time the extra costs are worth it
Interesting! Most posts thus far have more or less said the ZS is the same car but slower and softer suspension haha - I'm pleased you've shared your experience especially with having first hand experience as well.

The cambelt and chain is definitely a worthy consideration, since one of the big things when looking for cars of this age is in fact what important parts have been replaced in it's time - the belt being added to that list in the ZS world.

In relation to your question, that's my fault as I didn't make it exactly clear initially but this would be my only car for commutes/fun. Based on that, the ST would be the way foward it seems? Are the extra costs more related to fuelling it? As every car is different of course and things can go wrong (or not) at different times. Just trying to gauge just how much extra an ST would truly be to run!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
IVe had my ST for about 8 years now, and I even ran zetec S wheels for the longest time.

I also keep a log of fuel consumption. I鈥檝e seen True MPG (brim tank and reset trip) readings of low 40s but I average 37.1. I doubt with the mileage I do (9,000) there would be much more than one extra tank a year in fuel over a Zetec S.

Theoretically you still need the same BHP and thus similar levels of fuel for both cars at the same cruising speed. No doubt the frictional/pumping losses in the ST engine are greater, but I鈥檇 say it鈥檚 not as drastic as you think.

The challenge with a more powerful car is avoiding using the power as that what sucks up the fuel.

Other things to consider (I think) is the ST will have a nicer interior and maybe more comforts. Discs all round (which I prefer to maintain over drums)

I find the ST is good to drive around town and on motorway with the engine being strong enough to not warrant down changing to keep up with traffic

If you do wish to do light modification the ST might have more support as well.

unsure if the zetec S and the ST have similar gear ratios that might be worth considering, I assume the Zetec S is a lower ratio thus revving higher when cruising.

Only downside to the ST I see is the silly steering lock, but I reverse park so this is barely an issue

interestingly since I went to ST170 brakes the price of discs is stupidly cheap (拢6.59) for a rear disc View attachment 588413

View attachment 588412
Wow! I'm fairly certain I have seen this logging from yourself on other posts, so I appreciate you sharing it on mine and bringing this to the discussion. Disks all round were actually something I thought about and personally prefer myself, and honestly just wanted to gauge the true costs before deciding which one would be best, the ST or the ZS.

I would imagine the ratios would be slightly different? But I may be completely wrong of course. Quite an interesting take so far from this entire thread, it truly shows that the ZS isn't quite the best option to go for as a daily driver. I much prefer the ST trim level as I'm sure many do, after all it's where we are 100% of the time when driving. I think my initial concern was an ST wouldn't quite fit my budget as I was told this prior to making this thread - but again it seems they are within my reach!

Well, it's maybe a good habit but I have to reverse park no matter what lol.

Registered
Wow! I'm fairly certain I have seen this logging from yourself on other posts, so I appreciate you sharing it on mine and bringing this to the discussion. Disks all round were actually something I thought about and personally prefer myself, and honestly just wanted to gauge the true costs before deciding which one would be best, the ST or the ZS.

I would imagine the ratios would be slightly different? But I may be completely wrong of course. Quite an interesting take so far from this entire thread, it truly shows that the ZS isn't quite the best option to go for as a daily driver. I much prefer the ST trim level as I'm sure many do, after all it's where we are 100% of the time when driving. I think my initial concern was an ST wouldn't quite fit my budget as I was told this prior to making this thread - but again it seems they are within my reach!

Well, it's maybe a good habit but I have to reverse park no matter what lol.
No worries

purely cost the Zetec S will be cheaper to fuel, tax and insure. I鈥檓 at an age where insurance is negligible.

The biggest costs are buying and selling however, if you think you want an ST in the future then I鈥檇 get an ST. I wouldn鈥檛 get a Zetec S and then later get an ST.

For me the extra 拢250 in fuel, tax and insurance per year isn鈥檛 a problem. But like I said if there was a 拢300-400 difference in insurance alone I鈥檇 be considering the Zetec S, the same again if my mileage was double.

All the cars are 14+ years, so I鈥檇 maybe buy on condition. You might find more ST in better condition than Zetec S鈥檚

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
No worries

purely cost the Zetec S will be cheaper to fuel, tax and insure. I鈥檓 at an age where insurance is negligible.

The biggest costs are buying and selling however, if you think you want an ST in the future then I鈥檇 get an ST. I wouldn鈥檛 get a Zetec S and then later get an ST.

For me the extra 拢250 in fuel, tax and insurance per year isn鈥檛 a problem. But like I said if there was a 拢300-400 difference in insurance alone I鈥檇 be considering the Zetec S, the same again if my mileage was double.

All the cars are 14+ years, so I鈥檇 maybe buy on condition. You might find more ST in better condition than Zetec S鈥檚
Insurance was 拢14 a year more for me with the ST over the ZS so it was purely running costs with fuel and such that was the concern. I have to agree, I think before long the ST may well increase in price further than where they are right now!

So far that seems to be the case, within my budget there seems to be more ST's in better condition that ZS's.

Registered
Insurance was 拢14 a year more for me with the ST over the ZS so it was purely running costs with fuel and such that was the concern. I have to agree, I think before long the ST may well increase in price further than where they are right now!

So far that seems to be the case, within my budget there seems to be more ST's in better condition that ZS's.
Ah ok, based on your mileage (5,000pa, (14*5 + 25)*52) and using honest John MPG figures factored over mine own the Zetec S would cost 拢100 less per year on fuel

Quoted MPG ST: 38.2 > Honest John 85% > My Results: 37.1 thus 97% of quoted MPG
Quoted MPG Zetec S 43.5 > Honest John 83% > thus at 94% my theoretical MPG would be 41 MPG

This over 5,000 miles gives
ST 拢1059
Zetec S 959

At 172.9p per litre

So its 1.4 extra fill ups a year

This saving can easily be wiped out by fixing old / tired components. So a good ST will be cheaper than a poor Zetec S

But the biggest factor will be how you drive it. If you drive both carefully at same speed and acceleration you'll have very little difference in MPG, drive the ST hard and you'll see high 20s mpg were as the Zetec S would stay at mid 30s

Let us know what you decide.

Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
Just for reference to throw different scenarios out there. I normally saw about 25mpg on average when it was a daily, stock or modified. And that's living within the M25, so slow moving traffic and bypasses.
And as far as insurance I pay 拢388 a year for a modified Ford fusion 1.6tdci with Greenlight.
And 拢350 a year for a forged and supercharged ST150, also a modified policy with Greenlight. Both limited mileage of 5k.

So it's not always a case of insurance being cheaper on a lower value, lower powered car.
Once you're north of 25 there's likely not much in it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ah ok, based on your mileage (5,000pa, (14*5 + 25)*52) and using honest John MPG figures factored over mine own the Zetec S would cost 拢100 less per year on fuel

Quoted MPG ST: 38.2 > Honest John 85% > My Results: 37.1 thus 97% of quoted MPG
Quoted MPG Zetec S 43.5 > Honest John 83% > thus at 94% my theoretical MPG would be 41 MPG

This over 5,000 miles gives
ST 拢1059
Zetec S 959

At 172.9p per litre

So its 1.4 extra fill ups a year

This saving can easily be wiped out by fixing old / tired components. So a good ST will be cheaper than a poor Zetec S

But the biggest factor will be how you drive it. If you drive both carefully at same speed and acceleration you'll have very little difference in MPG, drive the ST hard and you'll see high 20s mpg were as the Zetec S would stay at mid 30s

Let us know what you decide.
Makes the decision even more clear based on the figures as well. From what I can gather parts aren't crazily expensive in terms of the general maintenance jobs for the ST either which is good to see. It's really a case now of finding a decent example within or close to the North East for 3k!

I'll definitely be posting whichever I decide, likelihood is if it's an ST I'll probably make a thread of it's journey here as well!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just for reference to throw different scenarios out there. I normally saw about 25mpg on average when it was a daily, stock or modified. And that's living within the M25, so slow moving traffic and bypasses.
And as far as insurance I pay 拢388 a year for a modified Ford fusion 1.6tdci with Greenlight.
And 拢350 a year for a forged and supercharged ST150, also a modified policy with Greenlight. Both limited mileage of 5k.

So it's not always a case of insurance being cheaper on a lower value, lower powered car.
Once you're north of 25 there's likely not much in it.
Yeah I would be dealing with less traffic and miles on the day to day, so would hopefully get a little higher figures when I don't have a lead foot. I was surprised insurance was very much the same more or less between the ST and ZS.

Registered
Interesting! Most posts thus far have more or less said the ZS is the same car but slower and softer suspension haha - I'm pleased you've shared your experience especially with having first hand experience as well.

The cambelt and chain is definitely a worthy consideration, since one of the big things when looking for cars of this age is in fact what important parts have been replaced in it's time - the belt being added to that list in the ZS world.

In relation to your question, that's my fault as I didn't make it exactly clear initially but this would be my only car for commutes/fun. Based on that, the ST would be the way foward it seems? Are the extra costs more related to fuelling it? As every car is different of course and things can go wrong (or not) at different times. Just trying to gauge just how much extra an ST would truly be to run!
No the extra costs are for just about every metric you want to measure, most of the time it is very little however.
The ZS has just about everything in common with a normal fiesta, as such there is lots of choice of aftermarket parts.
A quick comparison from euro car parts for example shows oil filter is 拢2 more, basic brake pads, 拢4 more. So hardly breaks the bank.
However, I had to replace the coolant tank a couple years ago ( common mk6 failure) on the ZS, same tank as other fiestas, 拢23 aftermarket. I also replaced it on the ST, not available aftermarket, and it was cheaper to buy an aluminium one at 拢80 than to get one from ford.
The ST is stil the car I would choose, theZS serves its purpose, but just lacks that little extra.. But I wouldnt choose it thinking they will cost the same to run.
If you get a good reliable one, then yes the difference in cost is not that great. But there is a difference.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
No the extra costs are for just about every metric you want to measure, most of the time it is very little however.
The ZS has just about everything in common with a normal fiesta, as such there is lots of choice of aftermarket parts.
A quick comparison from euro car parts for example shows oil filter is 拢2 more, basic brake pads, 拢4 more. So hardly breaks the bank.
However, I had to replace the coolant tank a couple years ago ( common mk6 failure) on the ZS, same tank as other fiestas, 拢23 aftermarket. I also replaced it on the ST, not available aftermarket, and it was cheaper to buy an aluminium one at 拢80 than to get one from ford.
The ST is stil the car I would choose, theZS serves its purpose, but just lacks that little extra.. But I wouldnt choose it thinking they will cost the same to run.
If you get a good reliable one, then yes the difference in cost is not that great. But there is a difference.
Based on the more quality of life on the roads though the extra power wouldn't go amiss. And from the opinions I've received the difference in fuel isn't exactly a crazy saving!

Already started my hunt for the right ST haha

21 - 40 of 54 Posts