Fiesta ST Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently picked up a MK8 ST and I love it. it feels like such a strong engine despite the small displacement however I've heard the MK7 has better top end power. From people who have driven both, which is the faster car out of the two and which one do you prefer?

·
Super Moderator
23,524 Posts
They're both pretty much the same power out of the factory, but the Mk8 is a 3 pot and has a bit more grunt lower in the revs. Even though they're both turbo, the Mk7 will respond to being revved out more.

In real world conditions, on public roads, in standard form, there will be nothing in it.

On a track, a Mk8 with PP might have the edge.

Modified... Whole different kettle of fish.

You've opened a can of worms with this thread though and will have fan boys from both sides defending them to the teeth.

Unlike the jump from Mk6 to Mk7, the progress to Mk8 wasn't as large. More so interior/gizmos for the masses to widen the market even further after the success of the Mk7.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I've had both. The mk8 is allegedly the faster car, but the driveability of the mk7 engine was far better for me. I'm not a massive fan of the 3 pot but it does have good grunt low down.

Diff on the mk8 with the PP certainly makes it faster out of the corners.

I'd ideally like to mix the two together, interior and diff from the mk8, with the shape and engine of the mk7. Both fantastic cars in their own right though.

Oh and the headlights, they may as well not exist on the mk7 they are so hopeless. LED's on the mk8 are infinitely superior!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a Mk7 ST200 and now have a Mk8 ST-3...

The ST200 was the quicker car without doubt. It was about 15BHP better off with overboost and 100kg lighter, plus the closer gearing was a boon.

But, as an everyday car, the Mk8 is a much nicer place to sit day-in-day out, and it has 90-95% of the ST200s B-road ability. My Mk-8 is a 5 door with pan-roof and LED lamps and it's just easier to use and comfier on a long journey.

If I could have the Mk8 interior and equipment (with no weight penalty) in a 5dr Mk7 shell with the ST200 drivetrain I'd be well happy! :nice:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies. Ive owned a MK7 and MK8 but my MK7 was a 140 ecoboost so to me they are both different cars completely. But even after having the MK8 ST for a week now. I can see why it might appeal to the older generation more than the MK7. Even in my ecoboost the MK7 felt like a car I wanted to drive quicker than I should, but for some reason in the MK8 I dont feel the need to put my foot down, just being inside the car feels so much more grown up. I havent driven the MK7 ST, but I reckon I would enjoy that more on the driving basis, but as an overall package, the MK8 comes out on top for me cause of the equipment you get and it does feel comfier even compared to my MK7 ST-Line! That might sound stupid but my MK8 has the coilovers as standard so it might make a difference in the comfort. But overall its a weird sensation, like I think if I jumped in a MK7 ST, I would feel more encouraged to drive it fast compared to the MK8, and Im only 20 and I feel old for saying that 😂

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I had my mk7 for 2 years and I've had my mk8 for 6 months so far and I can't think of a single thing the mk7 is better at is the best summary I can offer without getting into a bun fight!

Mk7 was a great car however, spirit blue is a lovely colour.

·
"Race Red Owner"
6,534 Posts
I pretty much agree with what @mr_skinny said. My Mk7 did have uprated springs and LSD and I would still say it was in this spec at least better than a Mk8 as I can feel that 70+ Kg in the cars chuckability (if that's a word!) and direction change. If I could combine the two it would be the Mk7 with the wheels and suspension of a PE, the Mk8 LEDs, most importantly the heated steering wheel, oh and controversially .... the ICE from the Mk7! :eek:hmy:

Oh and the seat options of the Mk7 too I loved my orange seats!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KenL, these are two standard Fiesta STs. The MK7 has a 1.6 i4 but the MK8 has a 1.5 i3. The MK8 has more torque than the MK7 but it is a tad heavier, in the real world. I reckon both cars feel sort of similar power wise. The launch control in the MK8 helps it get off the line a bit quicker so in a drag race, the MK8 may come out on top cause of the launch control and maybe the LSD

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone else with their MK8 feel that the engine mounts are a bit 'soft'. I've got used to it now but even either normal driving or putting my foot down the engine feels loose in the bay. There's no sounds from the bay but I assume the mounts would be soft to reduce vibration but does anyone seem to think they're maybe too soft for what these cars are made for?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Had 2 mk7s great cars enjoyed them both apart from feeling violated after stumping up for mp215 which is rubbish for the money but that's my fault for buying it :lol:

Mk8 i prefer the lower down grunt of the 3 pot not too bothered about losing a bit top end or going daft power my intention is 250-260bhp without it blowing up hopefully :lol:

The PE is a great bus i think the suspension is great it handles really well and will be a very long termer as i use a daily for the factory car parks...

Both great cars i think i'd like to have a go in a mk7 with decent suspension on it and a diff in it :smile: I have been looking for a cheapy to strip out for commuting lol :lol:

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Even in my ecoboost the MK7 felt like a car I wanted to drive quicker than I should, but for some reason in the MK8 I dont feel the need to put my foot down, just being inside the car feels so much more grown up.
Same, the MK7 felt like a dog straining at the leash, it just wanted to go! In the MK8 seems happy to just bimble along.

·
"Race Red Owner"
6,534 Posts

What engine would be in this mk7?
Is it a standard car rather than a special edition?
It would always be faster as the FDR has been shortened... If you fitted the same final drive from the Mk8 into the standard Mk7 (albeit you would loose > 20mph off the maximum theoretical top speed of over 200mph) which then do you think would win???

Final drive ratios BTW

Mk7 3.82:1

ST200 4.06:1

Mk8 4.313:1

It's just a cheap way for Ford to make the car faster (which it had to be) than the outgoing model even though the car had bloated out over 70Kgs and certainly cheaper than increasing the power.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had 2 mk7s great cars enjoyed them both apart from feeling violated after stumping up for mp215 which is rubbish for the money but that's my fault for buying it :lol:

Mk8 i prefer the lower down grunt of the 3 pot not too bothered about losing a bit top end or going daft power my intention is 250-260bhp without it blowing up hopefully :lol:

The PE is a great bus i think the suspension is great it handles really well and will be a very long termer as i use a daily for the factory car parks...

Both great cars i think i'd like to have a go in a mk7 with decent suspension on it and a diff in it :smile: I have been looking for a cheapy to strip out for commuting lol :lol:
I agree with the long termer point, after adjusting my rear coilovers to a soft setting, the car is so comfortable which surprised me! It doesn't seem to sacrifice the handling either, for my sort of driving at least!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Does anyone else with their MK8 feel that the engine mounts are a bit 'soft'. I've got used to it now but even either normal driving or putting my foot down the engine feels loose in the bay. There's no sounds from the bay but I assume the mounts would be soft to reduce vibration but does anyone seem to think they're maybe too soft for what these cars are made for?
Yes. A popular mod is to swap out the torque mount. You get slightly more vibration through into the cabin but it vastly reduces the wheel hop issues when launching it. Haven't done it myself but only had the car a week.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Check out the lower torque mount threads in the tech section some add bush inserts or change the whole mount cheap enough mod aswell..

Oops i was beaten to it :lol:

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
the mk8 is slightly quicker thats proven, but that didnt bother me, what put me off the mk7 was it couldnt lay its power exiting a corner because it had no lsd, in every other respect it felt brilliant, but to me it just had that one big flaw.

I know most people dont care what they go like around a track but i do, and the mk7 got killed on track by the 208 gti ps and the clio 220 trophy, but now the mk8 is faster than either of them, so its a big step up in performance if thats your thing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts