Fiesta ST Forums banner

Mk8 spare wheel/wheel well issues.

11K views 68 replies 17 participants last post by  alan ST Bentley 
#1 ·
Yes, I know I could go out in the pouring rain, take off a wheel and offer it up myself. However I find in unfathomable that someone hasn't done this already and will know the answer in an instant without me having to get a jack out and get wet.

In short - will the wheel well take a full size 18" stock wheel or is it sized up simply for the space saver?

Petrol situation depending, next week I'm going for a mini tour round westcountry B Roads. Its too late for this trip but the thought has only just struck me that a simple puncture will properly stuff up my trip. I've only got the space saver spare, but whilst preferable to the stupid inflation kit with so much driving crammed into three days losing a day to sourcing a new tyre will be a real ball ache.

If I can, a like for like 5th wheel in the boot would only slow me up for the length of a wheel change... one on one off and then it's 'back to Banzai'. But while looking online for one the thought suddenly crossed my mind that maybe it won't actually fit. It seems a silly question but i've long since lost my trust that modern cost cutting measures could make the logical illogical, maybe they've shaved off the extra metal needed for a full sized wheel well 🤦‍♂️

Will it fit? 🤞

See less See more
#2 ·
I am sure I read somewhere that the space savers are the same circumference but obviously a lot narrower than the alloys. Thus it should fit the hole but will stick out above the level of the floor considerably.

I know its a different shell entirely but I tried this in my old ST150 with a spare original alloy and wouldn't fit in at all, so feel doubtful that it would on a MK8.

I'll be getting a spare for mine, probably a space saver :( as I don't want to rely on an air compressor and a bag of glue.

#3 ·
Thanks @Twiddle

I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and offer it up myself because, and I could be wrong, I'm pretty sure the space savers are not the same circumference as the normal wheels.

In our Focus I it was a 15" spare for a 17" wheel. Horrible dynamics when it was on but it is only supposed to be an emergency 'limp home' option... hence why I now see that a proper 5th wheel would be a godsend when touring.

Surprised no-one else has seemingly done this before.

Oh, and on tyre reinflation kits, absolutely. Useless for anything above a simple nail/screw puncture... a blow out and you are stranded.

#5 ·
In truth I may still be tempted to get a full size spare even if it won't stow away in the wheel well. If I can fasten it securely in some way it'd give peace of mind I wouldn't have to waste a day of fun looking for a tyre fitter who stocks our tyres... and probably pay through the nose for one too 🤨

#9 ·
Thread revived for a linked follow up question...

I got my 5th wheel in the end for touring trips and in so doing answered my own question... very clearly it'd never fit in the spare wheel well. They're 'kin huge!

Around the same time I discovered the 'space saver' the dealership had given me was the wrong one anyway. They changed it without fuss.

But I've now come to realise that although I've now got the right space saver for the car, it doesn't actually fit the void of the spare wheel well correctly. It's skinnier than the (wrong) one that was in there and consequently the boot level isn't... well... level.

The wheel screws down securely as normal but there's now a slight sag in the middle of the boot into which my Disklok and tool box slowly migrate despite grip mats for fun in the twisties. They didn't used to do that.

Has anyone else found this and sourced/bodged any kind of fix? It's as if there should be some additional padding above or below the space saver to make the boot floor completely level.

As first world problems go its not the biggest issue in the universe but I aim for perfection and it's a bit irritating 😠

#15 ·
#16 ·
Cheers @Danny1 all suggestions gratefully received 👍

I have contacted the vendor as there are no dimensions on it. If i'm honest it looks a bit thin.

Also condition, price and postage especially look steep for a polystyrene ring 🤔

In situ the highest point of the tyre (so the surface any support would have to sit on) is between 50cm and 55cm diameter.

Its hard to measure accurately but it seems there's about a 5-6cm depth required to bring the tyre level up to the boot surface level.

I'm annoyed I didn't spot it sooner and could've pushed the dealership at the time to make it their problem. Its a long way to go back now though. I've got an additional OEM rubber boot liner and I think when I put the tyre in that artificially held it flat for long enough to 'appear' level. Its only once its been driven about that the boot contents fall into it.

Thanks again, if the measurements come back wrong from the vendor at least it gives me some new words/terms to start searching with, I hadn't thought of 'floor support'.

#17 · (Edited)
Of course, thinking about it, some Mk8 owners would've specced the spare wheel from new and presumably have all the right gubbins that should've come with it.

If someone could have a look at their Mk8 specific foam/polystyrene boot spacer/cover/floor support ring for me and clock a part number (or even a picture so I can work with that) that'd be fantastic 🙏

#18 ·
#22 ·
That polo like disc will be no good it will have to be a solid disc. I was thinking of something like a large swimming float cut to size or high density foam

#27 ·
If that's an image from your own car, can you confirm that the final level (with the 'doughnut' in place) then matches the main boot level please? 🙏

I estimate I'm around 5cm short currently (ooh er missus!) so on face value that looks pretty much spot on 👍

#28 ·
Hi All,

Yes, I can confirm the little round "doughnut" seems to be the same part used for the MK7 and MK8 Fiesta's.

Here's the part code:

C1BB-17009-AB

I managed to pick one up from eBay a while ago for approximately £20 (not sure what it would cost direct from Ford) as it was missing from the wife's car.

It does stop the boot carpet drooping down into the wheel well.

Motor vehicle Font Gas Electric blue Auto part

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

#32 · (Edited)
Thank you once again @marco170 & @PPHFiestaST...

As a direct result of your combined assistance I've re-badgered the original dealership armed with the right information and they've ordered the foam spacer and insulation mat in for me... free of charge.

This sort of thing shows precisely the value of an owners club 😎

Without having the means to read about other members issues, the means to ask questions, and without site users prepared to then help I'd a) still be driving round blissfully unaware I had a spare wheel that wouldn't fit when I eventually needed it and then b) would forevermore need a folded picnic rug in the wheel well.

Fairs fair to the dealership too. It was their SNAFU in the first place but plenty would show no interest in customer support over a year after selling the car and just fob people off or ignore them completely.

So while I'm in a good mood...big up Dinnages at Haywards Heath too 👏

#35 ·
Got a spare day to go over and pick up the parts and its sorted... at long last.

Still not convinced the plastic retaining nut is the right one now mind you as it sits proud and doesn't allow the tow-eye and 'she wee' to sit in their voids.

But hey, its solved the 'saggy bottom' issue and what's a few seconds looking for a tow-eye if you've broken down ☹

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire

So for future reference if anyone buying 2nd hand wants to ditch the squirty foam can and get a spare wheel. As well as the right wheel (details on your B Pillar)... you'll also need the two parts below 👍

Font Material property Pattern Electric blue Rectangle

Automotive tire Handwriting Font Road surface Auto part