Fiesta ST Forums banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
First up this month is another huge purchase with a bit of a back story. A couple of months ago I’d taken the decision I’d like to upgrade the shocks in the car from standard, and after a lot of research I settled on the Bilstein B8 shocks. I believe the Bilstein B8s paired with the Eibach Pro lowering springs is basically what Mountune used to sell as their Clubsport suspension setup and it gets great reviews from anyone who has ever used it. So, after a lot of searching around I found that the best place to buy the shocks was actually from Bilstein themselves, so the purchase was made and payment was taken (at this point everything’s great). Soon after placing the order I received an email from Bilstein with the following message…

"The fronts are in stock and ready to dispatch ASAP

The rears however are unfortunately on back order due to them being in manufacturing and we would be looking at getting them dispatched to you in around 4-6 weeks’ time

It is up to you how to proceed, we can ship the fronts ASAP and then ship the rears as soon as they are in or we can hold the whole order until everything is ready to dispatch"

I decided I’d wait until the rear shocks made it into stock as I didn’t see the point in me having half a setup and unable to use it until the rears arrived. For the next 6 weeks, it was radio silence from Bilstein with no updates on how my order was progressing, so I decided I would give them a call to see what the state of play was. To my surprise, I was told the suspension was going to be another 6-8 weeks away (making my wait time 12-14 weeks, during which they had taken payment from me) so it was at this point I obviously decided to cancel that order and a couple of days later I finally received my money back.

I then set about seeing what other suspension setups were available out there. After doing a lot of research and chatting to a lot of different people I soon found the choice of upgraded shocks wasn’t really that great and a lot of people were now running coilovers instead. I’d never really planned on going for coilovers as I was more than happy with the job the Eibach springs were doing, and I knew once fitted the coilovers would never be height adjusted again, in my opinion defeating the purpose of coilovers.

I came to a shortlist of 3…

Bilstein B14 Coilovers
BC Racing BR-RA Coilovers
KW V1 Coilovers

As is always the way for me, researching the products and trying to sniff out a deal for me is half the fun of buying car parts, so after doing plenty of research and talking to ALOT of people, I decided I was going to go with the BC Racing (I sure as hell wasn’t going to go down the Bilstein route again) and they were purchased the same day.

Within the week of ordering they were delivered, helping to reinforce how shockingly bad my interaction with Bilstein had been…

With the suspension having arrived that gave me the incentive to get in and clean the wheel arches. Thankfully they weren’t overly dirt

You can see here the bad state the standard shocks are in. Which is surprising as the car only has about 18000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·

I felt it would be rude not to clean the rest of the car, after having spent the time on the wheel arches.

With the virtual Ford Fair date fast approaching it was time to get stickered up…

Look at that colour…

and the fleck in the paint.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get many photos of the coilovers being fitted, but here’s the end of the process…

As you can see from the cars in the background, they should know what they’re doing with my car lol

Sexy…

Next on the to do list was a trip to another mechanics to have a smoke test done on the intake system as I felt it was struggling to make full boost…

Being watched…

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·

A couple of small leaks were found and sorted…

Everything sorted and back home.

As the car wasn’t going anywhere for a few days and had some lively driving of late, it was time to get the cleaning products out again…

The Gtechniq W6 along with W4 Citrus Foam, working perfectly…

I purchased these graphics from Paintmods, as I felt the battery and fuse cover had looked a bit naked without them, especially since the Revo induction had been removed and exposed them a bit more.

Another delivery…

This time it’s a new front bumper radiator grille surround seal

and fitted…

Sitting perfectly

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·

A couple more detail shots using the work lighting to show off the new additions…

and the lower brace in the boot

Nearly time for another clean lol

Yup, happy…

Nice and tidy

Another day and more photos lol

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·

I’d been researching on ways to protect the coilovers from road grime and dirt and bumped into this, so thought I’d give it a try…

ACF-50, it gets great reviews from a lot of motorbike users who have used it to protect exposed parts on their bikes etc. so I thought it should do what I want perfectly.

Prepping for an upcoming show (I think it’s the first I’ll have been to since the start of the Covid 19 pandemic).

Packed with some goodies

And good to go…

Last few photos of the car spotless before I head off to the show

The RS Owners Club in Northern Ireland were putting the show on in Cookstown. It was a great turnout, which wasn’t surprising as like me a lot of people hadn’t been out since the start of the pandemic, so when this show came around they jumped at the opportunity.

Some other Fiestas that were on show

After leaving the show I found a nice quiet area in a nearby industrial estate to take a few photos of the car as it was still pretty clean

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·

Another treat…

I’d watched a few videos on YouTube showing this gauge in action and I thought some of the things it offered would be a nice addition to what was already displayed on the dash.

Engine bay dressing plastics stripped out again

Dead battery, I suppose I did ok out of the original as it lasted the guts of 4 years.

The new upgraded one, shouldn’t have any issues with this one for a LONG time lol.

While having the induction kit out I thought I’d put a bit of padding here to help protect the foam filter when its reinstalled.

Battery in

Everything else now back together too

Lufi gauge installed with the use of a window mount hands free kit (this means I don’t have to stick anything to the dash).

Set up and good to go…

I decided I’d pay a quick visit to Anachem Automotive as they’re just down the road from me to get a few products

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Complimentary sweets are always appreciated…

I couldn’t really wait, so had to give their Cleanse (wheel cleaner) a go.

It’s not a great shot, but you can see it even pulling the dirt out of the rubber tyres which is something a lot of other wheel cleaners don’t do.

Then onto the rest of the car…

Damn flies

And done…

Plugging the CarLock tracker which helps me keep an eye on the car with various alerts which pop up on my mobile.

Thanks for reading as always,
John

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Going into July I’m over the moon with how the cars going at the moment and how the mods have progressed and can’t wait for a couple more shows over the coming months.

BC Racing had seen some of my posts on Instagram about their coilovers and they kindly got in touch and offered to send me a care package.

The hat and the mask will definitely come in handy over the coming months

Back into the arches for a proper clean-up

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·

Time to get coating those threads…

I also made a couple of changes to how firm the rear shocks were while I had the wheels off

The number of flies in unreal at the moment and I’ve no idea what’s attracting them

Even the hidden bits need to be organised lol

Of course, in true Northern Irish fashion the rain is never far away

Can still look good in the rain

Clean-up time

I’d noticed while taking the engine cover off that there was a small scratch on one of the corners, so it’s time to sort that

Done…

A couple more purchases

A spark plug gap measurer

and a tool for adjusting the gap

Standing out against the green

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Some light painting shots

Rains back

A rare outing for the car for a couple of messages

Paintmods got in touch with me to let me know about one of their new mods and of course I just had to have it…

It’s their new Seat Rail End Covers

Before…

After…

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Up-close…

I think you’ll agree the rail end covers just look so much better than the naked rain.

Next up was fitting the wind deflectors.

That’s them into place, I just needed to keep the window up for 24-48 hours to let the frame adjust to the new wind deflector.

This was another unplanned purchase

As you know I had always said I wasn’t planning on going down the Stage 3 route, and having chatted with Gareth at Stealthwerx he confirmed that a large hybrid turbo wouldn’t really suit my driving style with the long spool times etc. However, I more recently I’d been talking to Gareth about other mods and he informed me this “baby hybrid” had become available and would be more up my street. It’s an AET V1 Hybrid having covered just 9000miles and capable of round 280-300bhp depending on accompanying mods. Being the baby hybrid it offers stock like response with still getting a decent power increase.

After a bit more chatting a deal was struck on a package including the remap upgrade, the turbo and a fitting kit.

A couple of days later the turbo touched down with me and the car wish booked in to get it fitted.

The cats apparently investigating

What could we have here?

With them being on offer I couldn’t resist.

I find the Easy Coat offers a better alternative to C2v3, it last longer and give a lot better water behaviour, especially on top of the Gtechniq Ultra Ceramic Coating.

A quick trip to the shops again, parking well out of the way of everyone else.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Engine bay stripped (yet again) ready to be left to the mechanic

That’s the car dropped off to get the turbo installed

The standard turbo…

Now I’ve got the car home (it was a drive I didn’t really enjoy, as I had to avoid putting the car on boost as the car wasn’t mapped for the new turbo and I didn’t want to risk damaging it) it’s now time to get that map on and start enjoying some of the new power.

First drive since everything was installed and set up and all I can say is WOW. Don’t get me wrong I was more than happy with how the car performed on stage 2, but this is just a completely different animal now.

Thanks for reading as always,
John

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Going into August I’d taken another huge decision for the car and that was to sell the Team Dynamics 1.2’s. I’d been mulling over the idea for quite some time now but I’d finally decided to bite the bullet after having run them on the car for 4 summers.

Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love the wheels, both the colour and design of them on against the molten orange just works perfectly in my opinion, but with having changed so much on the car lately I just felt it was time to change one of the biggest visual elements on the car.

The standard wheels waiting to go on…

It does look great on the standard wheels to be fair

While taking the wheels off I’d noticed the side skirts were starting to ship at the rear edge. I must look for a way of either stopping this getting worse, or fixing it.

A random pic of the standard shocks, before I tidy them up and pack them away.

Another purchase…

I’d kept the TPMS off the Team Dynamics, so I thought I’d buy these so I’d have the full setup ready for new wheels if I go down that route.

Standing out perfectly against the dark fence

Another small purchase

Some 3M sticky pads as the Lufi gauge keeps falling off the phone mount

Called into PMG Autocare for the annual check-up of the Gtechniq Ultra Coating

I wonder what’s going on here…

New wheel time…

Some teasing shots first…

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Pure sex…

The standard OZ fitting kit, think I’ll use the Mishimoto nuts I purchased a few months ago instead

I swear I’m obsessed with spending…

Another purchase

Some wheel bags for whichever wheels I don’t have on the car

Rainy times…

As its raining, it’s the perfect time to coat the wheels with some Gtechniq C5

I’ll just leave the rims to cure now

Bumped into this on eBay at a price I couldn’t turn down

A DNA rear strut brace. I always felt the Mishimoto brace didn’t offer that much of a change with the rear of the car, this should help solve that issue.

More random purchases

Thinking about trimming and applying this to the end of the skirts to stop them chipping

Another delivery from Carnage 3D Tech

A brand spanking new Snorkel. This ones had a few changes made to it and they sent it to me to help with development.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·

Cats back doing her mechanic thing lol

Time to get some rubber fitted to the OZ’s

Another purchase

I’ve always looked at buying one of these and surprisingly haven’t done so before now. It’s usually one of the first mods I’d buy for a car as it’s so cheap and handy to fit.

Delivery…

Some more C5 so I can do the inside of the wheels and the titanium exhaust tips when they come off the car for the winter.

Perfection…

Fitting the dead pedal

Excuse the dirt of the pedals lol

And the neck cushions in place too

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·

Finally getting around to applying the Gtechniq C5 to the inside of the wheels

Time to see how the Heyner Tyre Bags do their job…

Putting the wheels away for the winter, can’t wait for the spring to come so I can finally get them onto the car.

More goodies…

Rear camber plates from MJ Performance. I’d called and had a lengthy chat with Martin about a week ago about the suspension setup on my car and how to improve the handling from what it currently is. He suggested I should go for these rear camber plates and some camber bolts for the front which should help with the turn in of the car as well ask making it a bit more stable at “high” speed.

A random outing, so a random photo…

More deliveries

Powerflex goodies

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
The front camber bolts to matchup with the rear camber plates I’d recently purchased

It’s got a bit wet again

Thankfully the rain didn’t stick around long and it started to get quite warm again

Showing off the colour range of the paint perfectly

Hiding in the shadows away from the sun

Still parking well away from everyone else lol

It’s been a quiet august so far, so any chance to get photos somewhere different I usually jump at the chance, even if it’s just in someone else’s driveway lol

While out visiting the girlfriend’s family I managed to sneak off to get a few photos…

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
The next day I was out for a drive with the girlfriend and noticed a few more scenic areas to take photos in, thankfully she didn’t mind as she went off exploring in the sun

Home to another delivery…

Up to now I’ve been using a garden leaf blower to blow dry the car, but following a few conversations with some fellow detailers they convinced me I should really look at a proper blow drier, so I opted to go for the Carbon Collective Air Force 1.

I also decided to but a better carpet brush…

Next up was some winter prep in the form of wiper blades

101 - 120 of 121 Posts