Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 4 brand new michelin pilot sport 4 tyres 205/40/r18 from Ford 6 months ago and only covered 3,000 miles and my front 2 tyres are 2mm and on the outer edge of tyre is completely flat but inner edge still has about 3mm

Is this normal amount of wear ? I have never had to change tyres this quick before and I don't really drive tge car hard , mostly motorway driving and the odd few blast here and there on sports mode

I'm thinking tge tracking has messed my tyres up maybe or tge rubber is just easy to get worn...

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Performance MY2021
3,088 Posts
I purchased 4 brand new michelin pilot sport 4 tyres 205/40/r18 from Ford 6 months ago and only covered 3,000 miles and my front 2 tyres are 2mm and on the outer edge of tyre is completely flat but inner edge still has about 3mm

Is this normal amount of wear ? I have never had to change tyres this quick before and I don't really drive tge car hard , mostly motorway driving and the odd few blast here and there on sports mode

I'm thinking tge tracking has messed my tyres up maybe or tge rubber is just easy to get worn...
Depends so much on what you do with the car? Go on track, it will burn them up. But the only thing I noticed in your message is the fact that you said that outside of the tire is worn. I have always had bigger problems with inside edge of the rear tires. Fronts are always been normal but inside rear has been gone way quicker on I think all of my ex ST:s because of how the car rotates with the inside tire is unloaded and transfered to the other side so the inside of the tire wears faster when driving fast.

EDIT: And I have to assume that you havent just done full on launches the full time of you owning the car? And that you dont just pile into a corner with throttle pinned? And what tire pressures do you run? Because if you have not done the things I described it might be pressures and/or allignment. Because when driving normally or even hard without thrashing it the tires will last. I sold mine with 34000km on the clock and it had about 5mm left in front and back on the original tires and it was driven hard in the corners with one wheel either in the air or just about to lift up but it was not launched from stationary that many times.

·
"Race Red Owner"
6,648 Posts
What's your mpg? This can give an idea of what might be the issue...

If you are getting really low mpg and you do normal journey lengths (not just 1 mile to shops and back) AND don't drive it like you stole it every second then it might indicate your tracking is out wearing the tyres faster than normal. (don't think it would be pressures as I would expect the inner tyre worn with outer treaded good or vice versa if it was under pressured)

If however your mpg is in the normal range and the car handles normally with this wear I would think it's more driving style...

·
Registered
Fiesta ST Edition
25 Posts
Treating every exit from traffic lights, junction etc as a 0-100k drag race will eat your tires up. There is zero need to race from every stop. My Focus ST hardly lost any tread in the 3yrs I had it, and the fronts were never swapped with the rears as I requested after the annual service.

In the wet, stay off the excelerator more than usual to reduce wheel spin - especially on FWD, and always get the front and rear wheels swapped to equalise tread use during each service

·
Super Moderator
23,640 Posts
Definitely not normal.

Sounds like some bad toe angle to me. Have you not had the alignment checked/done at all?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe not as extreme but I burnt through my first set of tires on my mx-5 within 6 months and in about 4500 miles. It had turned out that the dealer never lowered the pressures as part of the pdi. So rather than 29psi they were sitting at over 38psi.
As the car has tpms I never thought to check the pressures and it was only when I was getting winters fitted that the mechanic asked if there was a reason they were so high.

Also explains why the rear end was so tail-happy when accelerating out of a roundabout.

What are your pressures sitting at?

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Fast cornering will soon wear out the edges of your tyres but 3000 miles sound extreme. Are your tyre set to the correct pressures as low pressures will wear the outer edges quicker.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depends so much on what you do with the car? Go on track, it will burn them up. But the only thing I noticed in your message is the fact that you said that outside of the tire is worn. I have always had bigger problems with inside edge of the rear tires. Fronts are always been normal but inside rear has been gone way quicker on I think all of my ex ST:s because of how the car rotates with the inside tire is unloaded and transfered to the other side so the inside of the tire wears faster when driving fast.

EDIT: And I have to assume that you havent just done full on launches the full time of you owning the car? And that you dont just pile into a corner with throttle pinned? And what tire pressures do you run? Because if you have not done the things I described it might be pressures and/or allignment. Because when driving normally or even hard without thrashing it the tires will last. I sold mine with 34000km on the clock and it had about 5mm left in front and back on the original tires and it was driven hard in the corners with one wheel either in the air or just about to lift up but it was not launched from stationary that many times.
No track days just to work and back and mostly motorways, the back tyres still look brand new even though they were all purchased and fitted same time , I have taken a picture so you can see the outer edge where it has gone flat compared to the rest of the tyre

I have done full throttle launches but not all the time say about 20% in 3 months and very rarely pile into corners throttle pinned maybe a handful of times only , my tyres are around 36 front 29 back

I thought I would get around 10,000 miles like I have done on my other cars but I have never owned michelin tyres before
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Performance MY2021
3,088 Posts
Yeah, thats not normal. These were my 34000km rolled tires. Of course in Finland we use winter tires but we also have rougher asphalt that eats tires way faster. And I also rotated the tires every time I changed from winter tires to summer tires but still. Notice the inside of the rear tire is a bit more worn. And thats from the last 1.5months only because I drove it HARD and A LOT after not driving for 1.5 years (traded my ST to my current car a week ago).

Automotive tire Tread Tire Synthetic rubber Road surface

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
What's your mpg? This can give an idea of what might be the issue...

If you are getting really low mpg and you do normal journey lengths (not just 1 mile to shops and back) AND don't drive it like you stole it every second then it might indicate your tracking is out wearing the tyres faster than normal. (don't think it would be pressures as I would expect the inner tyre worn with outer treaded good or vice versa if it was under pressured)

If however your mpg is in the normal range and the car handles normally with this wear I would think it's more driving style...
To be honest I haven't even calculated or noticed my mpg as I feel it's pretty economical compared to my other cars I've had.

I'm starting to think it's tracking after doing more research but still didn't think it can eat a tyre this quick , my rear tyres still look new approx 6-7mm but front 2mm heres a picture

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely not normal.

Sounds like some bad toe angle to me. Have you not had the alignment checked/done at all?
I forgot to mention when I purchased my car from Ford the previous owner put on wider 225 profile tyres think they were some mid range tyre I said can I can the original ones that come with car and they put these ps4's on and would of thought they done all tye balancing and tracking but looks like they only dome balancing . I am thinking did the last owner had the wheel allignment to suit tge wider tyres and when put back to a 205 profile I need to align it again , also I been over some harsh pot holes since ownership and thinking that might have made alignment worse too , looking at the uneven wear on tyre definitely doesn't look right

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe not as extreme but I burnt through my first set of tires on my mx-5 within 6 months and in about 4500 miles. It had turned out that the dealer never lowered the pressures as part of the pdi. So rather than 29psi they were sitting at over 38psi.
As the car has tpms I never thought to check the pressures and it was only when I was getting winters fitted that the mechanic asked if there was a reason they were so high.

Also explains why the rear end was so tail-happy when accelerating out of a roundabout.

What are your pressures sitting at?
What is tpms?
My pressure is around 36 front 29 rear

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
It doesn't look that bad tbh, in terms of wear it's relatively even across the tyre, and the edges will always take more of a beating. The tread depth on the outside edge is generally more shallow than the centre as it tapers off. Always worth getting the alignment checked though.

·
Super Moderator
23,640 Posts
Doesn't look as uneven as you made out.

The unevenness on the outer edge is probably down to the wider profile and when turning, the rim is pushing down more a little bit in from the very edge of the tyre itself.

·
Premium Member
MK8 ST Edition
435 Posts
Get the obvious bits checked, pressures and alignment and go from there. That's unusually high wear, unless driving like you're at Silverstone permanently. I'm nearly at 3k miles in my ST and the tyres still look basically new. My last ST did 19k on the front PSS tyres before they needed replacing, granted that was a lot of motorway miles.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts