Fiesta ST Forums banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

· Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift ), 2005, MK6 zetec S
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Hi All,

Had a bit of an issue with a central reservation last night, blew the tyre out - got car home and went to replace wheel to find :
Highly modified inner tie rod
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Grey

So I've bought new inner tie rods, track rod ends and gaitors plus the inner tie rod removal tool - hopefully I can get it done over the weekend :eek:
Al

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hi All,

No parts have arrived yet but I thought I'd take the opportunity to strip down as much as possible
Loosened the track rod end nut, removed the track rod end from the hub and wound the track rod end off (16.5 turns)

Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Road surface Rim

As you can see, the inner tie rod is properly bent
The tool I bought needs the tie rod to go through the middle of the tube

Rectangle Office equipment Musical instrument accessory Gas Automotive lighting

So I ground the tie rod off at a straight part

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Hopefully I'll get some bits in the post tommorrow :)

· Registered
474 Posts
You should check the wishbone ball joint. The hole in the wishbone normally stretches, if it's had a decent enough wack to bend a track rod.

If it's stretched, It's a complete replacement.

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
You should check the wishbone ball joint. The hole in the wishbone normally stretches, if it's had a decent enough wack to bend a track rod.

If it's stretched, It's a complete replacement.
Cheers mate,
Sorry I'm being a bit stupid, do you mean the hole that the balljoint is rivited into ?
I've got some wishbones down the garage that I bought for the ST - are they the same ?
THx Al

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Sorry, I meant hole in the hub...
Oh, poo. so If I've understood correctly, the hole that the bottom ball joint goes up into that the pinchbolt clamps round ?
UH god...
Hey its not the end of the world as I've got spare hubs ( which I wanted to refub before fitting )
I'll drop the hub off tommorrow and post some pictures, be grateful if you could check them out
Thx
Al

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Hi All,

The inner tie rod tool arrived this morning so I thought I'd carry on with the strip down
Cleaned everything up and rewatched the utube video
But, a problem.
My old tie road has no flats on it to accept the adapters in the tool.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fluid Rim Automotive exhaust

so, i'm kinda stuck now
looking @ the car, if I remove the lower wishbone, I think I should be able to get molegrips/stilsons onto this end, but that kinda makes the removal tool irrelevant.
Am I doing something wrong ?
cheers

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Hi All,

THis car is rotten....

Managed to get the caliper slider bolts out, but the bolts holding the carrier on just round ( no big deal as i've removed them before by using heat, once the hubs off )
Got the nut off the bottom pinch bolt, but the bolt is siezed solid. (left soaking in penetrating oil )
Gonna try and get the wishbone mounting bolts off later - to drop the strut/hub/wishbone out as one unit - get down the garage and try and free off. :eek:

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Hi All

After a lot of swearing and buckets of penetrating oil - finally got the strut/hub/wishbone assy off

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine

I'm not that dissapointed about having to drop the lot out as I've already got new struts and hubs that ive drilled for focus carriers and 300mm focus disks, but the hubs are still down the garage and I was hoping to get them to the blasters in the next few weeks to clean up prior to painting, looks like i'll have to clean up myself the best i can.

Anyway, got as much access as i can to get to the tie rods

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

Hopefully I can free off with stillsons

As you can see I forgot to remove the drop link from the AR bar before dropping the strut out, no big deal as I've got adjustable drop links in the garage as the new struts are 30mm lower than OEM.

Anyway, I'm knackered, and its my BIrthday so its beer o'clock :)

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Hi All,

Made a start on stripping the hub this morning. really need this car back on the road this week so was hoping I could salvage it.
After the comments @Vulpes made about the potential damage to the bottom ball joint hole I really wanted to check this out, but the bottom ball joint bolt was siezed solid.
I'd already bought new wishbones ( hopefully herer tuesday) so used heat and finally got bolt out. ( Destroyed ball joint rubber in process )

Water Automotive tire Wood Grass Gas

Tried getting carrier bolts out, used heat, but first one wasn't moving so ground head off bolt ( reasonable confident that when I can clamp whats left of the bolt in a bench vice, with some heat, it will come out )
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Motor vehicle Bicycle chain

I have nicked the hub slightly when grinding the carrier bolt out, but as I've got replacement hubs I'm not too bothered.

Head Wood Automotive wheel system Snout Art

I just need these hubs on the car until I can refurb the others and do the 300mm disc upgrade.

Now all I'm waiting for is for my neighbour to find me some stilsons to get the inner tie rod out and then its put back together time (y)

Al

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Hi All,

After tearing my neighbours garage apart looking for stilsons, we finally found a set that would fit

Tie Rod off (y)

Wood Automotive tire Auto part Flashlight Soil

Glad to say I wasn't going mad and there are no flats on the inner coupling, so god knows how you would get the tie rod out without removing the stut/hub assy.
Unless of course I was doing something wrong with the removal tool.
Al

· Registered
474 Posts
You can get removal tools, that have an inbuilt cam that tighten their grip the more you try. That, or machine a flat into it with a grinder.

To be honest, I don't usually have a problem with them just using a pair of mole grips and a hammer.

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Hi All,

Got home from work to find boxes of parts had arrived

Household hardware Wood Automotive tire Gas Auto part

Inner tie bars, track rod ends, steering rack gaitors.
So all I'm waiting for now is the lower wishbones.

Few issues, one of the nuts on the track rod end is knackered, checked the other one on the rod end and it goes on fine, so its the nut, not the track rod thread.
Gaitors came with cable ties - got OEM metal clips on order to collect tommorrow morning.

Tommorow will be fitting the inner bars and cleaning up all the little bits like abs sensor support bracket and inner wing screws

Al :)

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Hi All,

Wishbones have just arrived (y)

Only realised today that I'd forgotten to order some stuff from Ford, so ordered rear wishbone mounting bolts, front wishbone mounting bolt & nut, pinch bolt & nut, caliper carrier bolts.

Cleaned up abs bracket, brake pipe clip, carrier and slider pins, so after I've been to Ford in the morning, its all systems go :p

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Hi All,

Well after a trip to Ford arrived home with a bag of bolts & clips ( but £50 lighter wallet) 😢

Then found the rack gaitors I'd had delivered are wrong, so ordered replacements from Ford to collect inmorning.

Booo Hoooo :cry::cry::cry::cry:

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Hi All,

All back together and I'd like to say fixed, but I have the most horrendous creaking noise, coming from the o/s/f area.

Had it back up in the air and checked all the bolts I've touched ( rear wishbone mount ), (front wishbone mount) ( bottom ball joint pinch bolt) (Strut top mounting bolts) ( hub nut)(ARB nuts) ( tie rod )
Everything is tight.
Had up in air and gone lock to lock - there is no noise
No noise on acceleration ( until you turn either right or left ) -
No noise on breaking
No noise when you bounce front of car
I had lubricated the top hat through the top hole - made no difference

Any Ideas on anything else I can check ?
Many Thx
Al

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Hi All,

Well after another morning mucking around with this car I "think" I've found the cause of the "creak"

Disconnected both tie rod ends from the hubs, the rack moves freely, both hubs appeared to turn freely, until I realised that on left full lock the hub didn't look like it was on full lock

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Not sure if its clear in the pic, but the ARB drop link is fouling on the back edge of the hub
Same adjustable drop links I put on the ST with no issues
I've slackened the top drop link ball joint off and the thread appears long enough to get a nut on it then push through the shock absorber then nut from the outside.
I rang Ford to see how uch a new drop link was ( £51) but as I'm lowering the car dismissed this option.
Waiting for my neighbour to get home now so I can use his trolley jack to compress the wishbone and get the drop link out.
Fingers X'd
Al

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Hi All,

AS I'm still waiting for my neighbour to get home and I'm relieved that the horrible noise wasn't a knackered rack, got the last piece of the intrnal upgrade

Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim Gadget

Looks a bit nicer than the wheel I've currently got
Al

· Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Hi All,

Well good news, got the drop link off ( knackered it in the process ) but now its off - car drives fine, few creaks but nothing i'm bothered about :)

61 - 80 of 117 Posts