Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello just looking for some information regarding oil leaks. IV had this 68 plate st2 with dreamsience Ultima+ stage one 99 octane now for over a year since 8000 miles now on 22000 miles and luv the car apart from its harsh ride when your tired from a long day's work previously audi owner which are aload of junk reliability these days hense the switch to my first fastish ford IV noticed I have a oil leak which appears to be coming from the head behind the alternator and I'm thinking I'm gradually looseing coolant but very minimal if none may be a paranoid reaction. IV heard of simerler but what is the repair? Anyone had exsperience with this I loose minimum oil infact I haven't had to top up in several thousand miles. Sorry if this is in the wrong place forum novice 馃ぃ

Registered
Early engines can suffer an oil leak in that area. Not 100% but possibly leaking from the timing cover case. Probably Ford use a Sealant rather than a gasket. Mine is a 68 plate I may have a tiny bit of oil sweat from the same area but doesn't drip... yet. No idea of cost as most were done under warranty I believe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Early engines can suffer an oil leak in that area. Not 100% but possibly leaking from the timing cover case. Probably Ford use a Sealant rather than a gasket. Mine is a 68 plate I may have a tiny bit of oil sweat from the same area but doesn't drip... yet. No idea of cost as most were done under warranty I believe.
I'm doing a service next weekend going to take alternator off and have a closer look hopefully not head gasket if it is il do it myself would just be nice to know for sure before ripping it apart

Registered
What is a 68 plate?? I m from Germany, we dont say that.
We say: Model Year 2018
2019 and so on
Or MY 2018.5 and so on
FYI, in the UK the number plate provided to a car is dependent on the date its first registered. In the first 1/2 of a year, its the 2-last digits of the year (19,20,21, etc) and in the second half of the year its the 2-last digits of the year +50 (69, 70, 71, etc). I don't know why specifically, but we can differentiate the age of a car's first registration to approximately a 6-month window based on the number plate alone, but not the actual manufactured-age.

Registered
Careful, thats how it all starts @Jorg 馃槅

Its all relative, efficiency is in the eye of the beholder. We are all completely comfortable with age related plates over here, we've had them for generations.

From our perspective non transferable 'licence plates' specific to the owners and where they are from not the car itself, to us, seems highly inefficient 馃し馃徎

There is no right and wrong, its just what populations are used to. Its why folk resent the 'efficiencies' of others being imposed on them, straight bananas etc. 馃槈

Anyway, back to the topic. I'm just glad someone could actually decipher the OP and render some assistance 馃憤馃徎

Super Moderator
Why complicated,when it is easier to say what the exact Day is. I think the german System is more efficient.
We can still refer to them as their model/year, but the general consensus is to use the registration plate date, as that leans more towards the cars useage age, based on date of registration. It's more to do with value than anything else.

Not so much an issue now, as lots of cars are built to order and registered straight away. However, historically cars would have been mass produced for a dealership and could then sit unsold for months...meaning a car built in early 2001 might not actually be bought until late 2002 and would therefore be a 52 plate.

Registered
What is a 68 plate?? I m from Germany, we dont say that.
We say: Model Year 2018
2019 and so on
Or MY 2018.5 and so on
If you鈥檙e referring to the model designation that Ford give to the cars, that doesn鈥檛 necessarily bear any relation to when the car was either built or first registered. It refers to the specification of the car, which periodically changes.
I originally had a MY21 car but took delivery of it in late 2020. For MY21 they changed the emissions equipment (among other things), just for example. But they were selling MY21 cars in 2020.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts