Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my small plate has come and I've had it in the grill all week. No problems with the law but I'm not sure I like it.

So I've been planning whether to have stickers in the back window or not, and it hit me....

I think I'm going to get a number plate vinyl and stick that in the top passenger side of the screen. Does anyone have any input on the legality of this? And what are the chances of the rozzers going to town on me if I do this?

·
Super Moderator
23,638 Posts
Pretty sure you would have to declare the change of location of the plate.

Has to be reflective

Lettering all to the Uk standards

Spacing to UK standards

Go to the DVLA website, sure it is all on there somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
23,638 Posts
Not sure about the legality of it being inside the car/behind the window.

But I do know that there was a massive crackdown in my area with traffic cops on all the "euro" cars with the front plates stuffed on the dashboards of their cars.

·
Vendor
605 Posts
Can't find anything specifically on this but the following is taken from the DirectGov site:

"Your number plates should: be made from a reflective material"

"You can only get a number plate made up from a registered number plate supplier."

There is also legislation (The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001) that refers to the positioning and lighting of rear licence plates:

"5.(5) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed-

(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable...

9.(2) Where the vehicle is being used on a road between sunset and sunrise the registration plate fixed on the rear of-

(a)the vehicle, or

(b)where the vehicle is towing a trailer, the trailer or,

(c)where the vehicle is towing more than one trailer, the rearmost trailer,

must be lit in accordance with this regulation.

11.(2) A registration plate must not be treated in any other way which renders the characters of the registration mark less easily distinguishable to the eye or which would prevent or impair the making of a true photographic image of the plate through the medium of camera and film or any other device."

You could argue that reflection on the screen would "impair the making of a true photographic image".

It doesn't give you a definitive answer but suggests you're probably onto a loser.

·
Super Moderator
23,638 Posts
Yeah, IF you were to ever come across a speed camera at speed...or an ANPR machine then it might not get a proper reading of your plate.

Great for you you're thinking, but not so much when you consider the possible fines which would follow.

Also forgot about the lighting! You would have to have some sort of lighting set up on it for at night.

More of a pain that it is worth surely?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sticker would be on the OUTSIDE of the window though so it would not be impaired surely?

And front plates don't have lighting

·
Super Moderator
23,638 Posts
Aah I thought you were talking about the rear one! Due to "stickers in the back"

In that case, no you still can't do that. the numberplate has to be at the front of the vehicle. That means the actual front, not "visible" from the front.

Is why all cars are produced with the fixings on the front of the car.

·
Super Moderator
23,638 Posts
Also just want to point out that what the law states and what a police officer can issue a ticket/fine for are 2 different things.

If the cop thinks it is unsuitable for what ever reason, they can issue you with something.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
The number plate needs to be attached to the front of the vehicle, the windscreen is not the front.
Also if the plate stuck in your windscreen comes into the swept area of your wipers to much, then this is another reason for them to pull you up on.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you get pulled by the police the first thing they will look at regardless of where the plate is located, text, fonts and spacing will be the British Standard Kitemark.
If your number plate doesn't have one then that is an illegal number plate - three points and a £60 fine instantly. This can then be replicated for the rear plate too, obviously meaning 6 points and a £120 fine, both plates should display the Kitemark.

My query here is why would you want to move the plate? To me, you will just be highlighting yourself to the police.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Preferably I would like to keep the plate off the bumper to keep the smooth look. I'm going to get a vinyl and put it in the top passenger side of the window on the outside, and see if I get away with it. If not then itll go to the right like you said :/

·
Super Moderator
23,638 Posts
Your car at the end of the day and your licence/money.

I personally wouldn't bother taking a risk on something which could potentially land me with some points or a fine, whatever it is.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I am looking to get a self adhesive vinyl number plate to go on the side of the bumber above the fogs evos have etc... to give airflow to my pas cooler thats behind holes where the number plate used to sit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts